RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SR9 Silencer?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
Bearcat

OOOK, can the sr9 be silenced? do they make a silencer for it or do all 9mm silencers work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 am 
Hunter

You'd need a longer threaded barrel and at the moment, no one makes one. If you have in mind to silence a weapon, forethought prior to purchasing said gun should include the availability of threaded barrels. I doubt you'll see any for a while, the market for suppressed SR9s isn't exactly booming.

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 pm 
Single-Sixer

the suppressor will work on all 9"s,, all we need is someone to make us some barrels!!! would like to have barrels for my SR9 and SR9C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 pm 
Bearcat

You could try duct taping a 2 liter soda bottle to the end....

Really though the bang bang makes them run so fast!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Single-Sixer

Tornado-Technologies might be able to thread and extended your barrel but I'm not sure if its possible the way the barrel has a larger collar where it locks up at the muzzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:19 pm 
Single-Sixer

You could haul around a sack of Idaho potatoes. They would be good for one round, and could double as a side dish with butter and sour cream. lol... :lol:

boomer 8)

Post subject: Silenced SR9C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:54 pm 
Bearcat

If you could find someone to thread it for you, you could, in theory, find an SR9 full size barrel, and have them shave/thread it and fit a silencer on it... in theory... the full size barrel should fit in the compacts' slide. Should... hope, maybe this helps... Good luck finding someone to machine threads for you, remember, most silencers are reverse threaded, meaning left tightens it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:09 pm 
Blackhawk

Will Hayden at Red Jacket says his motto is,
"if you can dream it, we can build it".
I imagine all you need do is give him a call, and have deep enough pockets to fund the project. LOL.
Sal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 am 
Bearcat

A silenced SR9c? I don't think anyone's even attempted this before and for good reason. If we can pull this off it'll be a real game changer.

(Will Hayden impression)

Last edited by Zealott on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 am 
Hunter

Since we've pulled up a year old thread, I might as well mention that Galloway is working on a threaded barrel. I haven't seen it yet, and I can't say how much work has been done. Just that it is something he's trying to get done.

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:46 am 
Bearcat

http://ingunowners.com/forums/class_iii ... r_sr9.html

If the link works... It has been done. I inquired about cost I think it is in the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 am 
Hunter

dak109 wrote:
http://ingunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/182050-suppressed_ruger_sr9.html

If the link works... It has been done. I inquired about cost I think it is in the thread.

To be honest, as soon as I closed this tab, doing an adapter like that was the first thing that came to mind. Looks cool. Modifying the barrel end isn't hard, and making adapters, even in a small machine shop, shouldn't be too expensive. I am curious to see how that adapter holds up after recoil and whatever stresses there are. I don't know how heavy that silencer is.

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:58 pm 
Single-Sixer

The pistol in the pics look like it was threaded internally. Guess that'd be ok if you left the adapter in all the time, but if it were ever removed and fired, it would foul up the threads for future use.

To me, a better design would be to externally thread the barrel tip so that bullet performance would remain the same whether the silencer was installed or not.

Also, that silencer seems a mite long to me. Not questioning the design, given the parameters used, since I know nothing about silencer design, but seems like it could be a little shorter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:56 pm 
Hunter

desertrat wrote:
The pistol in the pics look like it was threaded internally. Guess that'd be ok if you left the adapter in all the time, but if it were ever removed and fired, it would foul up the threads for future use.

To me, a better design would be to externally thread the barrel tip so that bullet performance would remain the same whether the silencer was installed or not.

Also, that silencer seems a mite long to me. Not questioning the design, given the parameters used, since I know nothing about silencer design, but seems like it could be a little shorter.

Look again, it's clearly threaded externally. There's a little bit left of the half inch or so Ruger leaves a little thick so it locks up in the muzzle fine. And that can does look a little long, but I'm like you, unfamiliar with silencer design.

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm 
Single-Sixer

jhearne wrote:
...Look again, it's clearly threaded externally....

I can see the threads you're talking about, but those are not the ones I'm referring to. I'm referring to the threads (assuming its threaded) that secure the adapter into the barrel. "IF" its threaded into the barrel (and not press fit), its clearly done with an "internal" thread.

Another thing. That threaded portion looks like a separate adapter to me that was "added" to the end of the barrel after it was modified. I'm sure that what we're looking at is not the end of the original barrel that was turned and threaded. Looks more like a male SS pipe nipple that was inserted.