Differences in pre-ban and new Mini-14 magazines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Woodsloafer

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me what differences, if any, there are in the markings, etc. on pre-ban magazines from those on the current production Ruger factory Mini-14 magazines? Thanks.

The ones I bought a year or two back still have the stupid "for law enforcement use only" stamped on them...

maybe somebody else can help.... if would make no sense for the one's current from Ruger to have this on them... but then.

actually, in reading your question over... there is a possibility the 'pre ban' mags had nothing on them, I'm not sure. All the ones I have say I can't use them except for law enforcement.

chet15

Hawkeye
Not sure about structural differences. They should be pretty much the same. But yes, due to the assault weapons ban Ruger started having them rollmarked with the LE only markings. Ruger may still be shipping magazines marked like this but would be old stock. They have no reason to continue to mark them with that unless for some reason LE still requests it on their magazines.
Chet15

It's hard to tell, but it sure looks like the one on the web sight at the Ruger store has that printed on it.... but I'm sure if you do a search and ask one of the folks that just purchased one.. they can answer it.

Woodsloafer

Bearcat
Thanks for the responses. I live in Massachusetts and we still have the 10 round limit on magazines. I see 20 and 30 round magazines at gun shows being sold as "pre-ban" versions and I was trying to figure out a way to confirm that they are, in fact, pre-ban. Thanks again.

speedsixman

Single-Sixer
I purchased a couple of new 20 round mags a couple of years ago that didn't have any "Law Enforcement Only" markings on them. They were new in Ruger blister packs like you would find hanging on display in any gun shop.
Don't remember where I got them - maybe CDNN Sports.

Myron

hawk_driver

Single-Sixer
I just bought a new Ruger 20 round mag and it did not have the LE statement. This was in a blister pack, not the old white box like they used to pack them in.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
Old 30 rounder from the '80's just stamped Ruger on the base plate---noticably higher quality than anything else from that time period. Maybe had Ruger stamped on the side---been awhile since I looked closely at it.

20 rounders from before 04 to 08 or 09 LE marked --date stamped '94 or something like that.

20 rounder that came with my recently purchased Mini---Ruger on the side and base plate---no dates

niteowl

Bearcat
There is no difference in the 30's between pre-ban and post ban. Both look the same, and have RUGER stamped on the side and the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate.

To my knowledge, there are 4 different 20's.

1. The original 20 which was a cut down 30, that had RUGER on the side, and a funky baseplate with 4 pins that hold it on. I'm not sure what the baseplate says on the bottom, if anything at all?

2. The 20's that came out in the 1980's said Sturm Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

3. The LE marked one's. These said Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side, and right below that, it says: "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERNMENT USE ONLY 91494" These have the the Sturm-Ruger Mini baseplate with the eagle.

4. And lastly are the new 20's. These say Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport, Conn USA on the side, but the font is different than the other 20's. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Woodsloafer said:
Thanks for the responses. I live in Massachusetts and we still have the 10 round limit on magazines. I see 20 and 30 round magazines at gun shows being sold as "pre-ban" versions and I was trying to figure out a way to confirm that they are, in fact, pre-ban. Thanks again.

In CA we're allowed to repair or replace our worn or damaged pre-ban hi caps. So an old mag body (or any other part) that is worn out can be replaced with a brand new one or one that has the "LE Only" stamp on it - makes it very difficult if not impossible to determine who got what when. Don't know if the Commonwealth has such a provision in their law, I suppose it would have a similar effect.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
niteowl said:
There is no difference in the 30's between pre-ban and post ban. Both look the same, and have RUGER stamped on the side and the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate.

To my knowledge, there are 4 different 20's.

1. The original 20 which was a cut down 30, that had RUGER on the side, and a funky baseplate with 4 pins that hold it on. I'm not sure what the baseplate says on the bottom, if anything at all?

2. The 20's that came out in the 1980's said Sturm Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

3. The LE marked one's. These said Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport Conn USA on the side, and right below that, it says: "RESTRICTED LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERNMENT USE ONLY 91494" These have the the Sturm-Ruger Mini baseplate with the eagle.

4. And lastly are the new 20's. These say Sturm-Ruger and Company, Southport, Conn USA on the side, but the font is different than the other 20's. These have the Sturm-Ruger Mini 14 baseplate with the eagle.

My Mini-14 came with 2 Of the #4 in the box....................................

Latest posts