RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruger Bearcat reviews?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33 pm 
Single-Sixer

Greetings, All,

I am new to the forum, and was directed here by a fellow at the S&W forum. I am considering buying a Ruger Bearcat revolver, and would love to hear your thoughts about that little pistol. As I've never shot one, nor even handled one, I would appreciate hearing how they shoot, if the older, lighter ones are better than the newer all steel guns, if the stainless steel versions are good, and any pitfalls of which I need to be aware when buying a Bearcat. Many thanks for any and all comments you can send my way. I very much appreciate all the education that you'd care to share! Thanks, again, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:48 pm 
Hawkeye

Great little guns. I wasted a lot of years not shooting the one I bought in the mid 90's. Fit and finish is impecible, though the trigger pull is a bit heavy though creep free. My 1st trip to the range with it off a bench put my 1st 6 shots at 25 yds with Winchester Power Points all centered inside a 4" bull at 2 5/8". I couldn't be more pleased, especially out of a short barrel fixed sight gun. Makes me wonder what the accuracy potential of the little gem really is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:52 pm 
Single-Sixer

Greetings, Cholo,

Many thanks for your comments, Sir. Is your gun the lighter version, or all steel? I'm up for buying either new, or used, version, but wonder about the carrying differences between old and new models of this little revolver. My Single Six Convertible is an Old Model, but both of my Blackhawks in .41 Mag, are New Models. I prefer the trigger on the Old Model, but it could just be that particular gun. It's not that either of the two New Models are bad, they are just not near as good as that one Old Model I own. Thanks, again, for commenting, and I look forward to talking to you, and other Bearcat owners, again! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Mine is all steel. I believe all the NM Bearcats are. I wouldn't want it any lighter, though some prefer the light weights. You won't even notice you're carrying it.

Most prefer the OM triggers on their Ruger SA's. I have both and believe the triggers on my NM's are a tad bit better than my OM's. My OM's are original, while all my NM's have lighter springs except the Bearcat. None of my NM's have had trigger jobs and I'm lucky I guess in that none have any creep. A couple of my OM's have some slight creep, but it's not enough for me to want to tinker with an original where it doesn't seem a screwdriver has touched the grip frame since they left the factory.

I must add that except for my Bearcat, my newest NM is an '85 .32 mag. Can't speak for anything made after that or what's made today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome to Ruger Forum!

Obviously the pre-Super Bearcat Old Models, with their one piece aluminum receivers are way lighter. Ah, but are also more fragile. My shooter is one of the "Alphabet" series.

As far as Ruger Single Action triggers go, standard 'smithing procedures certainly apply to both, Old Models and New Models. I have quite a few NM Single-Six and Blackhawk shooters and their triggers are pretty darn good.

Bearcats are neat little guns. Let's see, IIRC there are 34 of them down in the Dungeon, including this one:

flatgate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:27 pm 
Blackhawk

Warning! Do NOT get a Bearcat.
You might be tempted to do this with them.............

Clements SS 22 and Harton blue 32 mag.
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:43 pm 
Single-Sixer

Hi, Guys,

Thanks, very much, for the additional information! Much appreciated. WOW, 34 Bearcats down in the Dungeon, which is, I am guessing, similar to our Hobbit Hole!! That's quite a den of little Bearcats you have there, Sir!! :wink: :D

I am still leaning towards a stainless steel one, just for it's extra protection against the elements. But I'm also open to seeing what I can find, locally, if anything. I'll have to check our laws (Left Coast) to see if the Bearcat is even "allowed" out here!! :evil: :roll: But, I'm guessing that a NM Bearcat should be "on the list", hopefully.

After finding out if it's legal here, I'll check new and used, and see what turns up. I've always thought they were very neat little guns, and maybe now is a good time to get one for myself! Thanks, again, for commenting, and I'll look forward to reading the views of other Bearcat owners, should they wish to share their thoughts. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:47 pm 
Single-Sixer

Hi, Sugar River,

Very nice work on this two little 'Cats! I'm sure doing that would certainly be a temptation, but I'm seeking a stock BC, just for the fun of owning and shooting it. Of course, one never knows what the future might hold in that regard, especially if I like the BC as much as I think I will!! :wink: :D Thanks for the photos! How to those little hot-rodded BC's shoot for you? Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:08 pm 
Single-Sixer

Just got a brace of stainless ones that will go to Harton for some love before I ever hold them. Matched set with one in 22LR/22WMR and one in 32H&R. I'm stoked. They should be ready the next time I make it back to the States. They are such sweeties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:58 pm 
Single-Sixer

Greetings, Friends,

Well, I've checked, and the Ruger Bearcats are legal out this way. Seems that all single action revolvers are considered "relics and curios" out here. I don't know about that, as I've never heard it before. But, such does appear to be the case. The local gunshop, which is quite small, offered to order a BC for me for around $500. I know that list price is a bit higher, but I was hoping to spend less, if possible. Again, we'll see how it all turns out.... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:10 pm 
Hunter

Bearcats are neat little revolvers and pretty darn accurate too. if you decide to buy one I'm sure you'll agree. My wife and I shoot her's all the time( she thinks it's hers). :D

To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth. This was the ancient law of youth.
Old times are past, old days are done: But the law runs true, O little son!

NRA Life Member since 1976
U.S. Army Veteran
RMEF Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 pm 
Blackhawk

You can do better than $500 on line.

Bud's has the blue for 386 and SS for 414 delivered.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/inde ... ter_id=118

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:51 pm 
Blackhawk

I had an old Super Bearcat that in a moment of abject stupidity, I traded off. I still wish I'd not done that.

OTOH: I like my New Model Bearcat even more than I ever liked the old one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:10 pm 
Bearcat

Whats not to love about a Bearcat! It is on my short list of must haves. I think these guns, with their engraved non-fluted cylinders, either in ss or blue, are one of the nicest looking 22 revolvers around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:20 am 
Bearcat

I don't think there's anything bad to be said about the Bearcat. One of my favorite shooters...