Loading for the 77/44 (.429, .430 or .431?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PJR

Bearcat
I want to start loading heavier bullets for my 77/44. While I've loaded centrefire rifle I have little experience with handgun rounds and none with the .44 magnum.

In looking at the catalogues I've noted there are three ".44" bullet diameters -- .429, .430, .431. Why the difference and which of these would be best for a 300 grain load in my 77/44?

captainkirk

Blackhawk
If you are loading jacketed bullets it won't really matter. If you want to use cast bullets it may help to "slug" your bore to determine what the dia of your particular rifle is. Generally, I think Rugers tend towards the large end of the spectrum you gave. I actually shoot my cast bullets unsized in my ruger 44 handguns and they are fine. As cast diameters are around .431 or so for my favorite RCBS SWC mold.

I think you will enjoy loading for the 44 (carbide dies are great!) compared to most bottleneck centerfire rifle cartridges. Especially if you load them 100 at a time or so...

captainkirk

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
It really depends which diameter shoots the best in your gun. You will have to experiment a bit.

Most (all?) jacketed bullets will be .429 diameter. The majority of the cast bullets out there will be sized to .430 and some will be sized to .431.

My pistols (Redhawks and Blackhawks) seem to prefer cast bullets in the .430 diameter and I have had really consistent results with the Lazercast 300 grain bullets. They simply shoot very well in my Redhawks.

As mentioned by captainkirk some firearms will prefer the .431 diameter bullets.

If you haven't loaded for pistol calibers before I would absolutely second the recommendation to use carbide dies -- eliminates the step of lubing cases and the step required to clean them up later. I have used Lyman, RCBS, Lee, and Dillon carbide dies at different times. I am a big fan of the Dillon dies! They are set up for quick adjustment, and quick cleaning or changing the seating plug without having to remove the die from the press -- literally takes just seconds to remove and replace. If you load a lot of cast bullets you will come to appreciate how handy this feature is as bullet lube collects against the seating stem and changes your seating depth. I tend to load a thousand or more rounds at a time for the .44 and just really like how quick and easy the Dillon dies are to use.

Any quality carbide set of dies will make your experience much more pleasant -- do your homework and choose the set that will best serve your purposes.

Dave

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Good advice already given. I will add some more in regards to cast bullets. With the heavier cast bullets you might find the crimp groove will result in a OAL too long for the magazine. I load Cast performance 255 grain and 300 grain hardcast for my 77/44. Both work fine. The 275 grain is too long for the magazine because of the crimp groove location. The cast performance bullets are .430. Both bullets with a max load of H110 or 296 with shoot about and 1" at fifty and about 2" and a 100.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
mike7mm08 said:
Good advice already given. I will add some more in regards to cast bullets. With the heavier cast bullets you might find the crimp groove will result in a OAL too long for the magazine. I load Cast performance 255 grain and 300 grain hardcast for my 77/44. Both work fine. The 275 grain is too long for the magazine because of the crimp groove location. The cast performance bullets are .430. Both bullets with a max load of H110 or 296 with shoot about and 1" at fifty and about 2" and a 100.

Good advice. I had forgotten about the OAL issue with the magazine. I guess wide meplats on some of the heavies could cause issues with feeding, as well as over long bullets, but I have never owned one of the 77/44s to test that out on. Thankfully at least some of the 300+ grainers have dual crimp grooves...

captainkirk

mike7mm08

Buckeye
All the cast performance are a a wide flatnose. They feed just fine. The magazine holds the rounds at a pretty good angle. I don't even think the nose of the bullet makes and contact with the feed ramp.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
mike7mm08 said:
All the cast performance are a a wide flatnose. They feed just fine. The magazine holds the rounds at a pretty good angle. I don't even think the nose of the bullet makes and contact with the feed ramp.

I think the only trouble I have had was occasional hangups in 94 winchesters and marlins in 44 mag with bullets like the 310 Lee. Good to know the Ruger works well with the big meplat bullets.

Hank in Indiana

Bearcat
The 429 jackets do not shoot as well as the 430's do in my 77-44. Remington and Hornady both make 430's.

PJR

Bearcat
Many thanks. This is all very helpful. Carbide dies are definitely on the agenda. I intend to shoot jacketed bullets to start. The Hornady info may give me the answer. In factory ammo my 77/44 shoots best with the Hornady Lever Revolution which is a .430" bullet. So it looks like .430" would be the place to start.

Swift makes a 300 grain .430" A-Frame. I've liked the A Frame performance in other rounds. Anyone use it in their 77/44?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have not tried the a frame. But I had great success with the now discontinued 250 grain nosler partition. Thankfully I have a rather large stash.

Latest posts