SR9 "Black Ice"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Saw one at my local gun store, shiny black slide, erredesecent lettering with an added "LIMITED" on the slide. Pretty pimped out I say. Sorry no pic. :shock:

Mike J

Hunter
You got me curious Cheese. I googled it & found a link to a "black ice" LCP at buds gunshop but it was out of stock & there wasn't a picture.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Mike J said:
You got me curious Cheese. I googled it & found a link to a "black ice" LCP at buds gunshop but it was out of stock & there wasn't a picture.

At first I thought someone put a really oiled upped gun in the display case, the slide was really shiny. I then noticed the kaleidoscope of colors from the letters. It kinda freaked me out, the black looks like the old black chrome finishes that you see on some older guns, pretty high polish.

I think if that gun appealed to me at all, I would also like to put big wide whitewalls on my Edge, maybe curb feelers too. :lol:

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
There's one listed on Gunbroker.com with a few pictures. I'd really like to see one in person. :oops:

agentadam

Single-Sixer
I was considering all of the different options to blacken my stainless SR9 slide. I really like tenifer/melonite but it actually takes away from the ability to fight rust when done to stainless. LoneWolfDist. offers black oxide refinishing for only $25 for a slide or barrel but it is more matte and wears off easily. I wonder what would make stainless look high polished blue like this black ice edition. Of course the metal would have to be polished first. As mentioned it looks like some type of black chrome or nickel. I know of a 2-3 companies that offer it right now. A few companies have dropped this service because they couldn't get there process right but I'm not trying to spend that much money. I am even considering gold inlay but you would probably have to deep re-leaf engrave the slide as the laser etched logos are not deep enough.

Mike J

Hunter
I think if that gun appealed to me at all, I would also like to put big wide whitewalls on my Edge, maybe curb feelers too. Laughing

You made me think about many years ago in the 80's when they first came out with a small Cadillac (the Cimmaron I think). I saw a brand new one that had both wide white wall tires & curb feelers on it. It cracked me up.

I don't think the looks of that gun appeal to me. Of course my taste has always been somewhat conservative.

Al James

Hunter
I like. I also found a LCP with this finish and Black Ice has a website:

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/

I would like the LCP I think. No need to worry about rust like on my blued model and not to much bling like my talo nickel version. :wink:

jhearne

Buckeye
You can get this finish on blackened finishes. We nitride polished spindles and with wear, the ones we get back to repair or refit with new brass look like the highly polished black chrome mentioned earlier. I like it without the lettering. Looks like the corners look really smooth, like some attention was spent on refining the edges.

I like it, just no extra lettering IMHO.

Josh

agentadam

Single-Sixer
I don't like the extra wording either. I would just go over the factory stuff again.

I would actually do this to my Ruger SR9
Talo Edition
RugerPhoenix_Big.jpg

agentadam

Single-Sixer
Looking at Black-ices website, they only offer DuPont Teflon, your basic powder coat/epoxy spray and bake on finish. And Water Transfer Printing, like the realistic camo,carbon fiber,ect. Upon further investigation I see they offer dead flat/matte, semi,and high gloss clear coat over the top.

Im guessing they teflon coat the slide, high gloss clear coat the flats while matte on the rest,and then laser engrave the logos again. That could explain the smooth edges and polished look.

Latest posts