Ruger 5MM Rimfire Magnum Revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ranger1

Buckeye
I don't know if this been discussed before, but I see where Taurus has added the 5MM Rimfire Magnum to their revolver line. Does anyone think Ruger might consider doing the same?

This round has some pretty interesting ballistics. I also understand the ammunition is almost impossible to find, and is spendy.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Without a strong enoguh market...no. T?C supposedly was to offer this chambering as well as taurus...Seen any? Seen anyone asking for them?

CraigC

Hawkeye
I doubt it. It was supposed to be resurrected recently but so far, only the new Centurion ammo has hit the market. We'll see if it goes anywhere. At least folks with the old rifles can afford to feed them now. Although it's significantly more expensive than .17HMR.

ACM73

Bearcat
I have one of the old 5mm rimfire rifles and couldn't find ammo for the longest time so I never shot it. I just recently stumbled across some in a midway catalog and ordered two boxes. I havn't shot any yet but if it shoots well I'll most likely stock up on it. I also have a 17hmr which I love, but the 5mm really is a better round. If ruger made a pistol in 5mm I would be really likely to get one. That would be a really nice small game revolver.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The 5mm ammo is available in shops around here so someone is buying it. The formerly deceased cartridge seems to be enjoying a bit of a comeback, probably due to the fad of sub-.22 cartridges created by the .17 HMR. Maybe this time it will be successful enough to occupy a small, enduring niche in the shooting world.

ACM73

Bearcat
If they market the 5mm and make new and accurate rifles for it like they did the 17hmr then they could bring the 5mm back in no time. I would love to see this happen personally, I think it's a great round. More power than either the 17 or the 22 mag.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I still remember a line of Ruger Single Sixes that showed up on Ruger's site that never got announced. I really thought they could have been the 5mm Rimfire and I still think they would have made a welcome addition to what we have!

maxpress

Buckeye
Yosemite Sam said:
How's .204 Ruger doing?

-- Sam

Seems to be doing great since Ammo and components are always bought up around here. We have a pretty big following for it though. Dont know about the rest of the country.

Lee Martin

Hunter
Ammo isn't abundant and the 22 Mag beats it from the performance angle. It would be ultra-niche, ultra low sales, and an ultra waste of production capacity.

Single-Sixer
I'm not so sure that the .17HMR has been an amazing seller in the Single-Six, so I don't see the bean counters signing off on another maybe.

Well of course I have a .17HMR Single-Six, but I'm not the general public, I'm an addict.