Tactical Light for SR9c?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vacextar

Blackhawk
Anyone know of a good inexpensive tactical light that will fit the SR9c AND be quick-detach?....as in a few seconds to install, remove? I'd like to have something I could slide on at night for a bed-side gun/late night possum/skunk killer (they eat way too much cat-food!), and remove during the day for CC. I see plenty of relatively cheap options both with and without a built-in laser sight (not needed but would be fine to have) to fit full size or compact rails, but most say "will not fit sub-compact guns". Something along the lines of this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=676246

$40 and zero negative reviews.....just looking for something similar to that but for sub-compact.

Not interested in spending $200 for a glorified flashlight....just something inexpesive and useful.

martinj001

Single-Sixer
According to my research, the Streamlight TLR-3 may work. I was able to inspect one in my local shop, and hold it up to my SR9c (but not mount it fully using one of the supplied adapters), and it appears as though it would work. The compatability list states it will work with the XD sub compacts and also mentions the M&P all sizes, so this makes me think it could be compatible with the SR9c. (Many other lights out there specifically state that they are NOT compatible with sub-compacts). At around $90, its not super cheap, but its also not a piece of junk. :)

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I have a SIG STL-900 light/laser that I tried on my SR9c. It went on but,....
It is to long, it will not secure to a rail point to lock in the indents in the rail.

I think if you find a short light it might work....... :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lateck,

Hunter11

Bearcat
I have a Streamlight TLR-3 and switch it back and forth between my SR9C and my Keltec PF9 depending on which I am carrying at the time. I install it at night then remove it in the morning before I leave the house. It fits both just fine and is easy to install and take off. I paid $79 at a local LE gear store.

vacextar

Blackhawk
Hunter11 said:
I have a Streamlight TLR-3 and switch it back and forth between my SR9C and my Keltec PF9 depending on which I am carrying at the time. I install it at night then remove it in the morning before I leave the house. It fits both just fine and is easy to install and take off. I paid $79 at a local LE gear store.

So the "5 interchangable keys" they talk about to let it fit different weapons.....these stay attached to the light, or you have to leave these "keys" attached to the gun? Not wanting to leave some adapter attached to my gun when not using the light, as my holster will probably not allow that.

So it is a no-tools quick-detach right? Looks like a nice piece! Thanks!

martinj001

Single-Sixer
They attach to the light itself. Can't remember if its no tools or not, at most it would require loosening with an allen key, but I can't honestly remember.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hunter11 said:
I install it at night then remove it in the morning before I leave the house.

WOW ... that sounds like an incredible PITA .... I'd do that about .... ONCE .... before I either bought another duplicate gun, or dedicated ONE to carry, and ONE to nightstand duty. :D

REV

DocGlock

Bearcat
Here's an Insight XML that I just threw on my SR9c for a cell phone pic for you to see. It fits fine, takes about 2 seconds to put on or take off.

SR9withlight.jpg

vacextar

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Hunter11 said:

WOW ... that sounds like an incredible PITA .... I'd do that about .... ONCE .... before I either bought another duplicate gun, or dedicated ONE to carry, and ONE to nightstand duty. :D

REV

That's why it has to be quick-detach before I'll buy one. Keep the light by the bed, and before I turn in for the night, snap the light on the gun. Snap it back off in the morning. With quick detach is should'nt be any more of a hassle than removing the gun from a holster or putting the gun back into a holster.......takes seconds.....not minutes.

martinj001

Single-Sixer
DocGlock said:
Here's an Insight XML that I just threw on my SR9c for a cell phone pic for you to see. It fits fine, takes about 2 seconds to put on or take off.

SR9withlight.jpg

The XML is now called the X2, is that right? I do like how the light protrudes just a touch in front of the business end of the weapon.

DocGlock

Bearcat
martinj001 said:
The XML is now called the X2, is that right? I do like how the light protrudes just a touch in front of the business end of the weapon.

Yep, the same light, Springfield just called it the XML.

HS-LD

Bearcat
vacextar said:
revhigh said:
Hunter11 said:

REV

That's why it has to be quick-detach before I'll buy one. Keep the light by the bed, and before I turn in for the night, snap the light on the gun. Snap it back off in the morning. With quick detach is should'nt be any more of a hassle than removing the gun from a holster or putting the gun back into a holster.......takes seconds.....not minutes.

Same here. The TLR-3 is great! I forget which key it is letter wise, but the one for the Glock works great on the SR-9 and the C.

matthewjohn

Bearcat
Also, Im looking for info on if an Insight M6 willfit an SR9c? Insight says it will fit an SR9 but have not test fit a 9c. I really like the 9c and the light output of the M6 / lazer and am hoping they can fit together.

martinj001

Single-Sixer
Doubtful. If you can find a compatibility list for that light, I'm guessing it will specify that it will not work on sub-compact models (XDsc's as well as M&Pc's, and also therefore the SR9c).

jlottmc

Bearcat
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/64354-1.html There was also an LED light that CTD had that was pretty cheap that I cannot find right now. Those may help you.

Latest posts