MIII 22 45 Loaded chamber indicator

Help Support Ruger Forum:

9th

Bearcat
First off, I'd like to introduce myself. Smitty is my name! And, I am a proud owner of a new Ruger MKIII 22/45. A 51/2 inch removable grip panel rig.

I got it, and installed a VQ sear. Takedown and reassembly were actually quite easy, thanks to Bullseye, and his photo tutorial.

I took it out to the range, and put 200 rounds of CCI MM through it. After making a couple of windage adjustments it was putting 10 rounds into a nickle size area on my target @25 yards (sand bagged)

Then, I put on a cheap BSA reflex sight on it and was shooting grapefruits on the 50 yard line.

So far I am very happy with my new pistol.

I shot up the last of my CCI mini mag ammunition today. So, had to pull out a few bricks of some PMC Zapper .22LR that has been well kept for about 15 years. I looked it over and it still looked new & shiny like it did when I put it away. But within the first mag I had a full casehead separation. I'm a left handed shooter so my thumb got peppered pretty good. No damage to my thumb. But the mini blowout destroyed my (plastic)loaded chamber indicator.

Can I carry on without the parts installed? And Yes... I won't be feeding it any more of my Zapper!! :lol:

GDLT31

Bearcat
bpatza

Team RFC

TPC Rating: 100% (1)
Team RFC Since: Aug 2006
Team RFC To: Dec 2010

LCI filler

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total price shipped, stainless $18.50, shipped with tracking $19.25, Hot Blued,$20.50, shipped with tracking$21.25, stainless beadblasted, $19.50 w/tracking$20.25. Prices good in the lower 48. Preferred payment money order, I will accept personal checks however my bank will charge $10 for NSF and that would upset this old guy. I would like to ship once a week as I live 11 miles from the post office and with the price of gas that helps keep the cost down. Payment to Bruce Patza address N863 Lawn RD, Seymour WI. 54165 Phone 920-833-6628. Email me your Phone # and I will answer your questions.

GDLT31

Bearcat
Quailty part fits and looks GREAT contact Bruce.Anytime I go the the range they always ask where did you get that.Buy one from Bruce and you will be happy and It will look good.

I had my LCI removed when the V'sen trigger parts were installed. Almost completely eliminated the infrequent jamming problem that I was having. The Mk III is a lot easier to clean as well.

(Note the 1911 style grips I attached as well; I used Gorilla Glue!)

MkIIIa.jpg

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
To answer the question: Yes, you can carry on without the parts.

If you want to spend the $20 on a little piece of metal to fill the slot, there is that option. To me it still just looks like a part that shouldn't be there, just like the original LCI.

My LCI doesn't bother me (enough, yet), but I did get a kick out of the text in the manual where it warns that it can just fall out on its own... (When the gun is otherwise disassembled, of course.)

-- Sam

greener

Single-Sixer
Baldy said:
You can also take the spring out of it, or just remove it altogether. I just left it out on my 22/45 as that is my tinker toy with the VQ parts in it.

When I find a round tuit, I'll do that also. Hasn't bothered me yet.

Baldy

Single-Sixer
cbuxton41 said:
Baldy said:
You can also take the spring out of it, or just remove it altogether. I just left it out on my 22/45 as that is my tinker toy with the VQ parts in it.
How do you take the spring out?
Thank you

I took the barrel off and gave it a few taps with a hard rubber hammer and the pin pops out a little. Grab it with some needle nose pliers and pull the pin out. (mine was pastic). Take the little metal piece out and the spring. You can now put the LCI back in or leave it out. :)

cbuxton41

Bearcat
Baldy said:
cbuxton41 said:
Baldy said:
How do you take the spring out?
Thank you

I took the barrel off and gave it a few taps with a hard rubber hammer and the pin pops out a little. Grab it with some needle nose pliers and pull the pin out. (mine was pastic). Take the little metal piece out and the spring. You can now put the LCI back in or leave it out. :)
Thank you. Lot of changes since my 1959 Mark I

Baldy

Single-Sixer
Yes there has been a lot of changes. I like you missed the MK-II altogether. I have a MK-I that sat in the safe for about 20yrs or longer. I am just now getting caught up a little. I got a .22/45 & a MK-III in the last six months. Took the MK-I with me the other day and put 100rds through it and it ran perfect. Never used one of them fancy scopes before and now I have two. :lol:

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I keep wondering if anyone had the same thought as me and will take a MKIII Stainless and just weld the offending slot shut and re-polish the reciever. I haven't done that yet but I plan to. Anyone see anything wrong from a functionality standpoint with that?

Baldy

Single-Sixer
protoolman said:
I keep wondering if anyone had the same thought as me and will take a MKIII Stainless and just weld the offending slot shut and re-polish the reciever. I haven't done that yet but I plan to. Anyone see anything wrong from a functionality standpoint with that?

Just besure and take that little piece off of it before you weld it up. I would use a tig machine where you could control the heat. You should be able to polish it out and nobody could even tell it was ever there. Good luck. :)

rooger

Single-Sixer
After more than a year of shooting many thousands of rounds with the LCI removed, I decided to reinstall this notorious part back into my MKIII to see what would happen. I then shot somewhere between 300 and 400 rounds and with only one spent case failing to eject completely. I'm going to do some further "research" and if I come to any worthwhile conclusions, I'll post them FYI.

cbuxton41

Bearcat
rooger said:
After more than a year of shooting many thousands of rounds with the LCI removed, I decided to reinstall this notorious part back into my MKIII to see what would happen. I then shot somewhere between 300 and 400 rounds and with only one spent case failing to eject completely. I'm going to do some further "research" and if I come to any worthwhile conclusions, I'll post them FYI.
Thank you
I look forward to seeing your "research" conclusions. My LCI is out and I don't mind the empty slot

rooger

Single-Sixer
cbuxton41 said:
rooger said:
Thank you
I look forward to seeing your "research" conclusions. My LCI is out and I don't mind the empty slot

OK here's an update: After reinstalling the LCI and shooting somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 rounds I only experienced 1 FTE. (I still have a Volquartsen extractor installed.) One benefit of the LCI is the ability to feel by finger if a round is chambered.

FunkyD

Bearcat
I've heard a lot of complaints about the LCI, but it hasn't caused any problems with my new 22/45, at least in the first 100 rounds.