Ruger Deerstalker ?'s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

natimblue

Bearcat
I am new here, but not to Rugers. I was going to ask a price check on a Deerstalker I saw for sale on another forum, but after a quick 2 hour lesson on Deerstalkers I found they were C&R and worked a deal. The 2 hours were spent on this site, searching through past posts. Thanks for all the great info! It looks to be in good shape with a few bumps and scratches, but it is almost 50 years old and has been to many deer stands. No rust and the wood is crack free. The Ruger 44 carbine has been on my list of "must haves" for many years. It is drilled with bases attached, and has some sling studs in the stock. Were these factory or added later down the road (I am 99% sure they were not factory)? The final price was $515 shipped, which seems to be a good-fair deal. Gun prices are very hard to follow in this tough economy.
Thanks again for the great information,
Tim
ruger.jpg

[/img]
ruger2.jpg
[/img]

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Good price. They did some drilled and tapped for scope bases but the swivel studs are not original. With any 44 carbine I would suggest a complete disassembly and cleaning giving the gas system a lot of attention. Most all problems you might encounter with a 44 carbine can be solved with a good cleaning. Use a standard load as light loads may not cycle properly and don't shoot lead you should not have any problems.

natimblue

Bearcat
Thanks for the quick response. Most of my collection is U.S. military surplus and most of the "fun" is a complete disassembly and cleaning. I did stop by a local store that has an overpriced 44 carbine and it did have 6 factory holes on the receiver and barrel. I thought they looked factory as it has never had any bases attached. This one did have some sling studs but it looks like the plugs have never been touched. The serial number is in the 117,000's, any idea of a manufacture date?
Thanks, Tim
Found it on Ruger's web site, looks like 1967

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Nice buy! Your gun was made in 1967. You have the early model made from '61 to '74.
The late model Deerstalker was made from '75 to '85.
The later Deerfield was made from 2000 to 2006.

You have the standard model that did not normally come with sling swivel studs. But the Sporter model did. The available factory front sling stud attached to the forearm band screw.

nice rifle and a good price,,,,,,and as Jim says put the front sling mount on the barrel band, seen too many rip out ( break away) the front stock is too thin................Uncle Mikes makes a swivel set for the Rugers,same as the 10/22......

Sir,
Them D/S where made from (known # ranges) 4 thru 3836, 1961 thru mid 1963)

I at one time own both of them two numbers. i still have 3836. i understand there is a higher number then that, but i have not seen or herd of it. as of yet.

I now have only 60-70 D/S still in my pile, at one time i owned over 140 of them rifles. your gun is at the mid-way of the ser#. (there should be 6 holes on top of your gun, some times the middle ones would be pluged.
the scope holes where on the barrel (2) and the two on the rear of the receiver. the later guns where plugs that held the parts for the receiver. instead on the two extra hole in the middle with screws.

there NEVER where sling studs in the carbines, only in 44x /44x-c and 44sp/44sp-x.

and NO 44 DeerStalker was ever checkered, ever!

only one know engraved Deerstalker, ser#9

take another pic and send it to me, id like to see the holes.
Scott (Mr. Deerstalker)