.41 mag New Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I agree with G2; too small a market, probably way too small! I believe it's only chance is for some distributer to request Ruger make them an exclusive model. We've seen these in as small as quantities of 500 or 200 like the Bisely single six stainless.

Barring the expense of a custom Bowen, the easiest way to have one would be to start with a SS new vaq and a Lipsey's exclusive stainless flat top 41 mag (which only comes with a 6 1/2" barrel and I believe is made on the same size med frame as the New Vaq.) Then have the barrels and cylinders swapped; not expensive work if you can't do it yourself. Make the Vaq 41 barrel length what ever you want from 4 5/8" to 6 1/2".

A buddy had a 44 flat top and a 45 N Vaq. Now he has a 45 FTop and a 44 N Vaq. Both blue guns. The only involved step was putting a blade sight on the 44 FT barrel.

Bowen usually dovetails his front sights on custom guns.

Whether you start with a 357 or 45 Vaquero, you'll end up with a very marketable stainless flat top because they have not been made in a stainless 357 or a 45 Colt; blue or stainless! For best resale of the flat top, I'd want to end up with a 4 5/8" flat top.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
I had thought that the New Model .41 mag Flat-tops were large framed guns.
Is a 6-shot .41 mag possible in a New Vaquero sized gun, or would it have to be a 5-shot?

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
The 41 mag Flattop is a large frame. Clements Custom Guns lists the 41 mag as an option for a New Vaquero caliber conversion.

I plan to have a Anniversary 357 flattop converted to 41spl. I'd go with 41 mag but I don't think it will accept a Keith bullet due to OAL limitations.

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
I had Andy Horvath make me #2
A 3 3/4 in fixed off a 357 Mondago [SS]
And a 5 1/2 in with an S&W sight from a Bisley SS ..
A Poor man's Keith no #5.
Both shoot great and price / time are fine [about 3-4 months]
Call the man and see!!!!!!!!!!!
Ps if made from 357's the cylinder will take factory fine
but long nosed bullets are out..

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Groo said:
Groo here
I had Andy Horvath make me #2
A 3 3/4 in fixed off a 357 Mondago [SS]
And a 5 1/2 in with an S&W sight from a Bisley SS ..
A Poor man's Keith no #5.
Both shoot great and price / time are fine [about 3-4 months]
Call the man and see!!!!!!!!!!!
Ps if made from 357's the cylinder will take factory fine
but long nosed bullets are out..

Hi Groo,
If I understand correctly, Horvath made you two 41 Mags from 357 guns; one from a Montado with 3 3/4 barrel and another with 5 1/2" barrel? And the factory cylinders were fine for factory 41 mag loads except long nosed bullets. Is that correct?
And the price was fine. Do you mind sharing how much he charged per gun?
Thanx,

Lee Martin

Hunter
Don't think we'll see one from the factory. I converted a first gen Vaquero to 41 Magnum though:

41Vaquero.jpg

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Nice to see there's still a lot of .41 fans around. I've had a Redhawk 41 for many years that I still shoot all the time, love it.
Sal

laremm

Bearcat
Sal1950 said:
Nice to see there's still a lot of .41 fans around. I've had a Redhawk 41 for many years that I still shoot all the time, love it.
Sal

41 guys are different. I know 41 guys who got rid of 44's and 357's and only own 41's.

Its a round that never really got the appreciation it deserves, and its too bad they didnt make a factory 41 special.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
i HAVE A 41 AND LOVE IT. The cal is great and the 4 5/8" blackhawk is a favorite. I wouldn't go so far as to get rid of the others and go strictly 41 but they are awesome guns.

Latest posts