Grips for Super Blackhawk w/Square Trigger Guard

Help Support Ruger Forum:

straightcut

Bearcat
New guy here with a quick first question regarding grips for a Super Blackhawk. It's got the 7.5" barrel and square trigger guard and was probably manufactured in the last 10-15 years.

I'm looking for a set of Ruger medalion cocobolo or rosewood grips and saw some listed on CDNN Sports website for a decent price. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/rusublsmcobo.html I called and was told they will not fit the square trigger guard version. Can they be made to fit simply by notching the grips for the trigger guard or are they completely incompatible?

Any other sources for a proper set of grips for this model?

Thanks for any help!

G2

Hunter
Order them !!! They are what you seek. :wink:

Note; They really are not Coco Bolo, they are laminate made to look like Coco Bolo. For the Money IMO a good value.

Welcome...

straightcut

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome and your quick replies!

Originally, I wanted to purchase a set of rosewood grips directly from Ruger. I stopped at the factory in Prescott, AZ, but was told they were out of stock (last December). I stopped again in May and this time, was told they were no longer available. That's such a common application that I'm surprised and disappointed that they would discontinue that item.

Thanks again for your kind assistance!

G2

Hunter
If you want factory take off's put a WTB in the Classifieds, There really quite common and I'm sure a nice set will show up.

Also check Ebay, lot's of options there too.

A easy way to tell if they are for the Super Blackhawk is the distance between the medallion and the front of the grip. Super Blackhawk Grips have a more real estate. (about 1/2") The Blackhawk grip is more equal/centered. (about 1/4")

SBH/top

sbhgrips.jpg

straightcut

Bearcat
Thanks for the additional information and graphics! I do have the original walnut grips, which are in decent condition, but I prefer more grain pattern - hence the interest in rosewood/cocobolo. I did order a set from CDNN, but I'll keep an eye out in the classifieds as well. I have a relative who recently purchased a SBH who may also want a pair.

I'm a bit puzzled by the laminate "quasi cocobolo", so I'll be interested to see what CDNN sends me.

G2

Hunter
straightcut said:
I'm a bit puzzled by the laminate "quasi cocobolo", so I'll be interested to see what CDNN sends me.

Ohhh I think there nice, but "laminate" is a nice word for Plywood. :D

Suggestion: If you want some nice looking grips take a look at the above poster "pvtschultz" he does some nice work at very reasonable prices. www.privatescustomgrips.com

EDK

Single-Sixer
Look for Caryc or pvtschultz...forum members. Klamath River woodworks has a nice web site. Eagle grips will custom fit their grips to YOUR grip frame free...or did awhile back....good web site too.

I have elk stag from stag-grips.com that I picked out at his shop in Wyoming. Eagle grips gunfighter model are a favorite. Most of my guns have DRAGOON/HUNTER or BISLEY grip frames.

caryc

Hawkeye
Isn't that just the way things go? Ruger finally puts some decent looking grips on their guns and the word "plywood" quickly gets thrown around the net.

People always have to have something to complain about, I guess. It's very simple to tell a laminated grip. Just look at the bottom (butt). You'll see the nice even layers running parallel with the back of the grip.

Of course, the grips will also always have that inverted "V" pattern on them.

straightcut

Bearcat
The laminated cocobolo grips arrived yesterday. Indeed they do look great for the price!

I noticed the laminate layers when viewed on edge, but appreciate your comments, caryc, on how to spot that.

I appreciate everyone's great input!

G2

Hunter
straightcut said:
The laminated cocobolo grips arrived yesterday. Indeed they do look great for the price!

I noticed the laminate layers when viewed on edge, but appreciate your comments, caryc, on how to spot that.

I appreciate everyone's great input!

Hey... You know the RULE'S... Didn't happen without a picture. :D

Knuckles

Buckeye
:? What's wrong with laminating plies of wood together?... it makes for some beautiful designs and patterns!

caryc

Hawkeye
knuckles said:
:? What's wrong with laminating plies of wood together?... it makes for some beautiful designs and patterns!

Nothing wrong with it, as I said some people always need to have something to complain about.

G2

Hunter
I'm was going to just keep my mouth shut ...
I'm the one that said "laminate" is a nice word for Plywood.

I said this right after I mention "Ohhh I think there nice"

My only point was that they are not Coco Bolo, It was aparent to me that the OP might of thought they were "real wood" or something along the lines of what some of the fine Grip Makers on this Forum make from REAL WOOD or COCO BOLO,,,
Which if I recall is real wood. :roll:

My comment was not intended to throw the word "plywood" around the net as if they are not nice grips. It was to give clarity of what the subject grips were really made of.

My 9.5" Brass Bisley .32 H&R Magnum proudly wears Laminate Grips, and Ohhh I think there nice!
3ruger32s.jpg

Looking at this a little more closely, maybe I should have left the word "BUT" out of the statement, I can see where using this word might imply something other than intended.

Live & Learn

caryc

Hawkeye
G2,

My comment was not meant specifically for you. I have seen that "plywood" thing around on the net. I see what you mean about the poster thinking they were Cocobolo.

I just happen to think that the dark red laminated grips that Ruger is using now are pretty decent looking grips for a stock gun.

But they're certainly made on the same principle as plywood. :mrgreen:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Remember "Rosewood" is actually a name covering several different types of hardwood, including a dyed hardwood with a reddish tint. They are generally nice-looking, but vary greatly in color & grain.

Ruger started buying "Rosewood" grip panels when the cost of American walnut went too high (for their cost model).

caryc

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Remember "Rosewood" is actually a name covering several different types of hardwood, including a dyed hardwood with a reddish tint. They are generally nice-looking, but vary greatly in color & grain.

Ruger started buying "Rosewood" grip panels when the cost of American walnut went too high (for their cost model).

Rosewood is what it is when nobody actually knows the true identity of the wood. It's a convenience name. There are a lot of species of Rosewood. But mostly it's Rosewood if they don't actually know for sure what it is.

Knuckles

Buckeye
But one could make a grip out of many plies of rosewood... then is it real wood?

I was in the music business for many years and BOY! you should have seen some of the exotic wood "Plies" the in-house guitar luthier dreamed up... just beautiful!

Latest posts