Another convert to HS-6 for .45 Colt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
The local store had a couple 1-lb. cannisters of HS-6, so I picked up a can. Didn't even bother working up a load, just went straight to the Linebaugh load of 13 grains with a 260 grain lead bullet (actually, my Lee Autodisk threw 13.3 grains, and I used a 255 grain LSWC from Missouri Bullet).

I'll tell you what folks, I could not miss with this load at 25 yards. The recoil let you know you were shooting something with authority, but it was very mild compared to the heavier H-110 or 2400 loads I shoot. I have no doubt that whatever was on the receiving end of this combo would not be long for this earth. Quite frankly, I don't really know why I should keep messing with H-110 or 2400, unless it's just to show off, or shoot Water Buffalo...

The cases were almost as clean as they were before I fired them. No smoke, no smell (well, there was a little smell, but it was nice...).

Clean, accurate, powerful. What more could you want?

No chrono data this time, but I'd guess they were doing 1000+ fps out of my 4 5/8" tube.

If you haven't tried this load in your Blackhawk, you are missing out.

comanche

Bearcat
I agree and always recommend HS-6 for the 45colt.
In fact, I use it in all my pistols with excellent results.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Psssst: It works really well under lead in the 41 and 44 Mags, too, and makes +P 9x19 if you want. It is superb in the 41 AE under lead --although WSL is better-- and superior under the 170g Sierra and Speer 180g Gold Dot jacketed choices, even in subguns. It works exceedingly well under 45 Colt lead up to about 300g.

I use HS6 and the 140g XTP-HP in 38 Special for my wife's M38.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Sounds like a winner. I have not tried it yet but I do like mid level 'Ruger only' loads & I may try some in the future. Right now I get by with mostly Unique & then H-110 for the top end.

catfish621

Single-Sixer
13 gr. gives me 1080 fps with the rcbs 270 saa in a 7 1/2 inch. barrel. Pretty good thumper in my opinion. I use 7 gr. with a 158 gr in .357 which makes a nice plinking load. I use the Lee dippers for the .357 load which makes charging cases quick and easy.

8emem

Bearcat
HS6 is a great powder for mid-range big bore loads. I have also had great accuracy in .357 mag with 9.0 gr under a Remington 158gr JHP and standard pistol primers. I am also working up loads in 10mm with this powder and the accuracy of the loads is very promising.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Yep, my favorite load is also 13 grs HS-6/WLP/WW case behind anything in the 250 gr range. I get same velocity as catfish621 in my NM 7.5" BH. Easy to manage recoil, yet plenty of thump for a "packing load". If I'm wandering in the woods, I've got a CCI shotshell first (snakes) backed by 5 of that load...If I want more "horsepower", I either increase to 14 grs (gives around 1140 fps) or switch to W296 and a heavier bullet :wink:

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I also like HS-6 but use a lighter load of 11.5g under a 250g lasercast
bullet (BHN 24) at about 1000 fps out of my Bisley 5.5". But the big
thing is the SD is always in the 10-20 range and that shows up on the
target. I like HS-6 !!

FrontSite

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I tried HS-6 in .357 and was very dissapointed. I had so much unburned powder left in the cases after shooting it would rattle around and gum up things. Maybe it was because I was using standard primers?

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I've used both standard and magnum primers with HS-6 and had the same results. For me, the cases are quite clean with 13 gr under a 250 gr projectile (45 Colt). This load is in the 20,000 psi range. Lesser loads may result in boogers left over for low pressure? 13.5 grains of HS-6 under the same boolet is also very nice, and accurate to boot! Under this level I use Universal, over this I have been using Lil'Gun.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
protoolman":32qzd8od said:
I tried HS-6 in .357 and was very dissapointed. I had so much unburned powder left in the cases after shooting it would rattle around and gum up things. Maybe it was because I was using standard primers?

Because if it's slower burn, I'd imagine your best results will be with a heavy for caliber bullet, and a really firm crimp.

I've not seen any load data that says to use anything other than standard primers.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I always use good heavy roll crimps and such. What I may have done wrong was using lighter loads. I can't say I experimented heavily after my initial dissappointment. I should have tried a heavier powder charge before giving up possibly.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
WESHOOT2":12jtqjle said:
There is plenty of published data showing Mag primers with HS6 (anyone ever look through their Hodgdon Annual Manuals?).

I don't have any of the published manuals, but I use their online loading center data all the time. I've never noticed this before, but they don't list primer type in their load data. Am I missing it?

Cary

Single-Sixer
Hammerdown77":26qc28ug said:
WESHOOT2":26qc28ug said:
There is plenty of published data showing Mag primers with HS6 (anyone ever look through their Hodgdon Annual Manuals?).

I don't have any of the published manuals, but I use their online loading center data all the time. I've never noticed this before, but they don't list primer type in their load data. Am I missing it?
Hammerdown77,
If you select the print option it will open another window. They list the primer used and the test barrel used.

Cary

Hodgdon Powder Company
Cartridge Load Recipe Report - 8/31/2010
data.hodgdon.com 357 Magnum
Load Type: Pistol Powder: Universal
BW: 158

Cartridge Information
Case: Winchester Barrel Length: 10"
Twist: 1:18.75" Trim Length: 1.285"
Primer: WINCHESTER SPM

357 Magnum
Cartridge Load Data Starting Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
158 GR. CAST LSWC Universal .358" 1.610" 4.0 890 15,700 CUP 6.2 1247 33,400 CUP
158 GR. HDY XTP Universal .357" 1.580" 5.8 1026 32,100 CUP 6.3 1133 39,300 CUP

NEVER EXCEED MAXIMUM LOADS