Yellow disk on cylinder ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondov65

Bearcat
Just took possession of a New GP-100 it has this yellow disk behind the cylinder is this ment to take the place of snap caps so dry fire is acceptable?

batmann

Single-Sixer
The yellow disc is to show unloaded from the factory and not intended to be dry fired. Always use snap caps when dry firing. The Ruger 'will fix' thing is not the attitude to have when buying a new firearm. Take proper care and it will last many lifetimes.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
I extensively dry fired a new Liberty Security Six with the plastic ring in place back in 1976. Want to guess what's the only Ruger that I've had where the firing pin broke? Throw the ring in the box. It is a good unloaded indicator if you ever need one. I use snap caps for dry firing myself but I learned my lesson about using the ring.

Best Regards,
ADP3

I have been told that it's possible for the firing pin to get stuck in the plastic disc, and then get jammed/bent/broken when the cylinder attempts to rotate for the next "shot".

Just what I've heard . . .

:)

ADP3

Single-Sixer
My dry firing escapade with the disc only dented the disc. It never perforated it but the fp bit the dust nonetheless. Live and learn.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
I believe your manual also says: "Dry firing" will NOT harm this gun. At least it says that in every (CF) Ruger manual I own, IIRC.

Sugar River

Buckeye
The yellow disc is an easily seen and verifiable safety device used in the factory. I was told on one plant tour that handling a completed gun (in fireable condition) without the disc in place was grounds for dismissal.

It's not meant for dry firing.

Pete

maxpress

Buckeye
jimbo1096":33a6tjrf said:
You mean I'm suppose to remove it before I go shooting? I thought it was a 'beauty ring'. No wonder I'm having so much trouble closing the cylinder.

OH, your doing it wrong. i open the cylinder and drill pilot holes from the face of the cylinder through the yellow disk in the rear. then flip the whole thing over and after selecting the appropriate bit from your rim measurment drill through the yellow disk for recessed cylinders."DO NOT REMOVE THE YELLOW DISK" is what i remember reading in the manual.
just dont use full power loads. they seem to throw bits of yellow plastic everywhere. its embarasing going to work to have plastic removed from my eye so wear saftey glasses.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Everyone drools over the original box, warranty card, manual, shipping sleeve, vapor bag, etc when a scarce gun comes up for sale.

I always wonder why the yellow disc lacks demand when other original packaging is so desireable?

Anyone know if they are available from Ruger???

Scott

Single-Sixer
That's a good question - I lost mine that came with my single six (not the full ring, just the little flat plastic with a rod that fits into one of the cylinder throats). I've thought about trying to find a replacement, but figured i'd get made fun of for wanting it "just because"!

MCPO

Bearcat
I called Ruger awhile back (SP101) and the lady told me they were "Not in Stock" but she took my name & adrress and told me she would send me one if she could find one "on the floor". I assumed that meant the assmy floor, not 'the floor'. :)

Took about 2 weeks and I had forgotten all about it when it arrived in the mailbox :D