GP 100 Round Count

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
Just wondering who here has the most rounds through a GP and what typically wears out?

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Hi,
Good question. I have not heard of any GP100 wearing out do to round count. Between the frame and lockup system I think easy 10,000 rounds or more. The Security Six has had a long history of going thousands and thousands of rounds without a problem. David Tong a noted gun writer and tester did a article on the Security Six. In his article he indicated that one gun range put 1,400,00 rounds on a Security Six. The revolver never had a parts failure or began shooting loose. So I would think a GP100 would be able to put the same number of rounds as the Security Six. After all, isn't the GP100 suppose to be stronger than the Security Six? Below is the link to David's article on the Security Six.
Regards,
roaddog28
http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_security_six.htm

protoolman

Service-Sixer
One of mine is well over 15,000 with mixed magnums, specials and factory as well as handloads. Never a bit of problem yet still locks up like new. I seems smoother now than ever though. Guess I got all the burrs worn off!

rhatimi

Bearcat
I would say that the majority of GP-100 revolvers that I have handled and owned are somewhat lose when compared to S&W and redhawk/superedhawk even when new from the factory, yet mine has preformed flawlessly with a number of cheap and expensive .357 mags/.38 specials fired through it.

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
I have put close to 4k through mine in the last two years and I had an issue with the cylinder binding at a particular point. I couldn't quite figure it out, but it eventually went away. Must have been some gunk or something. Gun shoots great and it is probably the most accurate gun I own.

bub

Single-Sixer
Excluding abuse, I don't know if it is possible to wear out a GP100! The word "Tank" comes to mind! I only have about 2000 through mine and anticipate passing it to my kids and they can pass it to their kids.

Bub

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
1.4 million, thats a lot of lead, have to do the math on that......at 125g looks like 25,000lbs.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
TiteGroups":213rwkdl said:
1.4 million, thats a lot of lead, have to do the math on that......at 125g looks like 25,000lbs.
Yep, if I google "(125 grains)*1400000 in tons" that checks out, 12.5 tons. Wow!

My GP100 is only up to about 200 pounds of lead. At this rate I'll need to shoot 27 more years before I reach a ton, I better pick up the pace!

Latest posts