LCP .380 problem. WILL NOT chamber the bullet??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anthony_I_Am

Bearcat
Similar problem with mine. Bought it new a few months ago and hadn't fired anything in it but FMJ. So I got some American Eagle JHP's and it would stovepipe/double feed nearly every shot. Thought it might be an ammo issue so I got some Aquila JHP's. Same problem. Fires FMJ flawlessly.

Contacted Ruger and they sent me a UPS label to send it back.
It went out Thursday.

doublebarrel_2

Bearcat
I bought my LCP in August of '09 (serial # 372-something), and I had the EXACT same issue/observasion. I use Winchester WWB 95gr truncated FMJ. When chambering a round, if I let go the slide fast, let fly home, it would go without hitch. But if I let it return slowly, the bullet head would get stuck on the feed ramp...

I switched to Wolff 12# extra power recoil springs, and it solved the problem. Ruger's factory recoil springs weight is 9#, and Kel-Tec P3AT uses 11# springs. I was afraid that 12# might be too heavy, might give me stovepipes. It shoots beautifully, and the brass doesn't fly as far away as it used to (5 or 6 yards away) now...

Grendel

Single-Sixer
doublebarrel_2":ko02eqwu said:
I bought my LCP in August of '09 (serial # 372-something), and I had the EXACT same issue/observasion. I use Winchester WWB 95gr truncated FMJ. When chambering a round, if I let go the slide fast, let fly home, it would go without hitch. But if I let it return slowly, the bullet head would get stuck on the feed ramp...

I switched to Wolff 12# extra power recoil springs, and it solved the problem. Ruger's factory recoil springs weight is 9#, and Kel-Tec P3AT uses 11# springs. I was afraid that 12# might be too heavy, might give me stovepipes. It shoots beautifully, and the brass doesn't fly as far away as it used to (5 or 6 yards away) now...

In general, with any semi-auto pistol, it's best to not "ride the slide" when chambering a round and let the full strength of the spring and mass of the slide chamber the round.

-JT

doublebarrel_2

Bearcat
Grendel":38blqg37 said:
In general, with any semi-auto pistol, it's best to not "ride the slide" when chambering a round and let the full strength of the spring and mass of the slide chamber the round.

-JT

You are right. I was saying that, for the LCP with the original factory springs, one has to be really snappy with the slide when chambering the first roung in a slingshot way. If the bullet head touches the feed ramp before you release the slide, it'd get stuck, with full strengh of the springs...