Ruger P95 shooting low. Send it back ??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dscard.info

Bearcat
My ruger p95 shoots pretty low and left. I was able to adjust out the left and right but I can't adjust for elevation. It shoots about 4-6inch low at 25 feet. I have to raise the front sight above the rear notch just to get it to be on target. Is this something ruger will/can fix under my warranty. Any advice is welcome. Thanx

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
dscard.info ... First of all welcome to the forum ... glad to have you aboard. Secondly, in answer to your question (since we don't know your level of experience), I would ask the following:
1. To make sure that it is the gun and not shooting technique, did you test the point of aim/impact off of a rest, or were your results from an off hand position?
2. If you didn't test it off of a rest (or sandbag), did you have another experienced shooter test it out to see if they had similar results?

If the answers to questions 1 & 2 is NO ... I would recommend starting there to determine if it's the P95 or if it's technique (a simple premature wrist break could produce the results described). If the answer is YES ... I would send it back to Ruger to have the sights adjusted.

Hope it helps ... let us know how it comes out for you!

dscard.info

Bearcat
I don't have the ability to put the gun on sand bags but I have done my best to bench rest with the gun and I get the same results. I have had other shooters verify my results. My other guns are all .22 and they shoot perfectly. I realize that shooting a 9mm is very different and for that reason I kept working with the P95 and have put about 300rds through it and I feel very comfortable with the gun but I'm still getting the same low shooting results.

I dont understand what ruger can do to fix shooting low. what can they do ?? Thank you

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
dscard.info":2nwjmi48 said:
I dont understand what ruger can do to fix shooting low. what can they do ?? Thank you
Since the P95 rear sight is adjustable for windage only, Ruger will have to modify the sights to adjust for elevation (taller rear sight ... reduced height front site or a combination of both) to correct your problem. I would recommend that you call Ruger CS to discuss the matter.

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Hmmm, sorry, I cant figure out how to subscribe to threads without replying in this forum... but I'm interested in how this turns out...

resident

Single-Sixer
What AMMO are you shooting? (Lighter bullets will print LOWER than heavier bullets.)

I once knew a fellow who had the same complaints, only to find out he was handloading .380 projectiles in a 9MM. :roll:

dscard.info

Bearcat
ive tried 124g UMC Remington, Winchester 115g whitebox and handloading 124g LRN rounds with 5gr to 5.5gr loads. They all performed the same. Low and right. Im going to look into ruger support after summer is over or I get a new gun. Whichever comes first. I just dont want to be without a gun.

Not being insulting,but it sounds like a consistent push to me. My son shoots my pistols when he's visiting and will consistently hit low and left. While watching him, I noticed he is pushing it away as it fires so I slipped a dummy in the mag. Sure enough the muzzle moved as the hammer fell.

gunman42782

Hunter
Mobuck":1fqmeang said:
Not being insulting,but it sounds like a consistent push to me. My son shoots my pistols when he's visiting and will consistently hit low and left. While watching him, I noticed he is pushing it away as it fires so I slipped a dummy in the mag. Sure enough the muzzle moved as the hammer fell.

Think you might be right. Low and left is classic flinching.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
dscard ... to test mobuck & gunman's thoughts here, you might want to try the old dryfire / nickle exercise. Center a nickle on the slide directly behind the front sight (first making certain that the gun is unloaded of course), Align your sights as usual and dryfire the gun (I would recommend trying it both single & double action). If the nickle falls off ... your technique may be the reason for your low shots.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
If you are of a mind to you could drive the pins out of the front sight file it down and redrill it. That would be gunsmithing LOL. It is a semi woodruff cut so should be an easy thing to try and if it doesn't work there is always get another sight.

tk

Dot_mdb

Bearcat
I have a P-95 that was shooting 4" high a 15 yards. It also would drop magazines when the gun was shot. I sent it back to Ruger and they fixed both problems. They replaced the front sight and the mag release parts/spring.

Bill

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
mine shoots consistently low and left. As this is my first auto, I'm pretty sure it's me... I adjusted the rear sight and still shoot low & left, so I'm almost positive that it's me...

sargents1

Single-Sixer
Mobuck":15t8vwet said:

This is similar to a trick my cousin showed me. Have someone else load the gun in such a way that you dont know if it is loaded with a live round or an empty chamber. When you take aim and pull the trigger any flinch or pushing will be easy to see. This is easiest with Revolvers because you can load one or two chambers at random and then spin the cylinder and close the cylinder at random and do this drill by yourself. But if you have an assistant you can do this with a semi-auto as well.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
sargents1":w4e5a0qx said:
Mobuck":w4e5a0qx said:

This is similar to a trick my cousin showed me. Have someone else load the gun in such a way that you dont know if it is loaded with a live round or an empty chamber. When you take aim and pull the trigger any flinch or pushing will be easy to see. This is easiest with Revolvers because you can load one or two chambers at random and then spin the cylinder and close the cylinder at random and do this drill by yourself. But if you have an assistant you can do this with a semi-auto as well.

can I do this with spent brass in my P95 or do I need snap caps?

john16443

Single-Sixer
sicboy13":1mgzuepn said:

If it were me, I'd use snap caps. In my opinion, there's no sense making the firing mechanism fall onto metal surfaces if the action won't cycle as a result. Let the mechanism fall on the back of a cap.

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
john16443":h55p6jeo said:
sicboy13":h55p6jeo said:

If it were me, I'd use snap caps. In my opinion, there's no sense making the firing mechanism fall onto metal surfaces if the action won't cycle as a result. Let the mechanism fall on the back of a cap.

thanks!

Latest posts