What is a single six "STAR" model?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

xtratoy

Buckeye
If I under stand it correctly, It was a single six which was sold without a 22 Mag cylinder. They had the same bore diameter as a convertible gun. Others with more knowledge will be along to confirm or deny.

the gun was marked with the "star:" as said above, AND the box end label was marked as a "
single cylinder gun", as well as the owners manual, it too was stamped as a "single cylinder" gun...all of this , makes the "package".....later, the "star" was changed to look like a "sideways arrow" or an "upside down house"????sorry ,no picture to explain that one...........
many at times, were NOT even marked , so 'records' would have to tell you if the gun was a convertible or NOT...........

Coogs

Maximum
The "Arrow" or "house" mark was used in 1986, if I remember correctly. Only 3 months worth of production on the single cylinder, .22lr. only guns. Designated as SSR-4, SSR-5, SSR-6 and SSR-9. Actually a very scarce piece to find. Sorry if I got off on a tangent there.........related to....but not actually about the "Star" models. Coogs.

I had 3 of them at one time........thought I wanted to collect them. I sold them a shifted my focus to other Rugers. I still see them from time to time at shows. Got into a habit of looking for the star or arrow.......

Dave

chet15

Hawkeye
The rarest of the star models from 1975 is the blue 4-5/8" model. Brings big $, and is one of the great NM rarities.
Chet15

Ruger45

Blackhawk
chet15 said:
The rarest of the star models from 1975 is the blue 4-5/8" model. Brings big $, and is one of the great NM rarities.
Chet15
Mr. Deerstalker If Chet15 says it you know it's true.
While I am dragging up this ol post is it safe to say that the star guns were also made in SSR4 SSR5 SSR6 and SSR9?
And were the star and arrow models made all year?

street

Hunter
Ruger45 said:
chet15 said:
Chet15
Mr. Deerstalker If Chet15 says it you know it's true.
While I am dragging up this ol post is it safe to say that the star guns were also made in SSR4 SSR5 SSR6 and SSR9?
And were the star and arrow models made all year?
The star models were made in 1975, Cat. numbers--- S4, S5, S6, S9 in Blue. The Stainless were KS4, KS5, KS6, KS9. And as Coogs wrote above the ones that were stamped with an arrow or house in blue only, were SSR4, SSR5, SSR6, SSR9 shipped in 1986. So there were no "STAR" gun made with a catalog number SSR. They were Arrow or House stamped guns only. Both models were single cylinder guns only in .22 LR. Hopes this helps!

Coogs

Maximum
FM, look at the OP post date, 2010. Link has probably expired by now. The STAR models and the ARROW models were made in different years. I know with the SSR models, about 1986, I believe, was a result of a marketing decision to lower the price by removing the Mag cylinder. I would assume to compete with H & R and the like. I think it MAY have been a total of about a three month production run for the SSR's of all barrel lengths, They are quite scarce. I have only seen a couple pop up in the last several years. Coogs.

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, I think everybody probably picked up on the 4-5/8" and 9-1/2" stainless guns, LR only and convertibles because they were dropped after a year. They stick out like a sore thumb on a gun show table and get snapped up right away.
The S4 was always a toughie because the 4-5/8" has always been the least popular of all barrel lengths, followed by the S9 in 9-1/2".
A sleeper is probably the S6 because there was a lot of 6-1/2" barrel stock used for the Colorado Centennial.
Chet15