RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:10 pm 

Well, I did a little test over the weekend with Ballistol, Weapons Shield, and Gunzilla, three very different CLPs I have on hand. While I can't quantify long term protection, nor do I have the chemistry background to really understand which would technically make the better lube, I have to say that Ballistol is the least effective cleaner of the three. I found myself doing the old song and dance of using patch after patch to clean out simple carbon fouling. 3-4 soaked patches, a dry one, a couple more wet, another dry, finally starting to come out clean. Then I run one wet patch of Weapon Shield through the barrel and I get out more stuff that the Ballistol wouldn't touch. Similar results with another gun and Ballistol vs. Gunzilla. Felt like I was back to using Hoppes #9... :D

Gunzilla cleans like nothing else. It's a very thin liquid and penetrates under the gunk, lifting it out. It leaves a dry lubricating residue, which then wets then next time you use it, and it cleans even easier then. It's biodegradable, and has very little smell. It leaves metal surfaces slicker than <whatever>, but dry to the touch.

Weapon Shield seems like an excellent CLP for those who want a more traditional oil-based product. It smells like 3-in-One household oil, not unpleasant at all, cleans very well, and seems to lube and protect well, based on what I've read. For those that may have used FP-10 in the past, WS is a new product by the guy that invented FP-10.

Time will tell how these do as lubes and protectants. I do plan to do that corrosion test I mentioned. Maybe soon.

-- Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:45 pm 
Hawkeye

Well,
This post started out about what your wife could or could not smell.
All I can tell ya after shooting REAL BLACK POWDER for the last 5 years is that Ballistol does the job it was made to do. So if ya want to compare patches one on one GO FOR IT. To me that really doesn't mean a whole lot. If ya want to use a BORE CLEANER that is a different story.
I will stick with the 100 year old stuff. I really don't care what it smells like as long as I don't get rust. Which I don't.
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 pm 

Wyandot Jim wrote:
Well,
This post started out about what your wife could or could not smell.
All I can tell ya after shooting REAL BLACK POWDER for the last 5 years is that Ballistol does the job it was made to do. So if ya want to compare patches one on one GO FOR IT. To me that really doesn't mean a whole lot. If ya want to use a BORE CLEANER that is a different story.
I will stick with the 100 year old stuff. I really don't care what it smells like as long as I don't get rust. Which I don't.
Jim

That's good to know. Protection is one area that's hard to quantify.

I'm not saying the stuff isn't any good, just what I found in a comparison.

FWIW, Gunzilla says that it works real well on Blackpowder too, and it doesn't have the dreaded petroleum products that goop up the smokepoles, either.

Agree that using a separate cleaner, lube, and protectant might give better results than a CLP that tries to do all three. Problem is, many of the best protectants are CLPs (according to their manufacturers...), so you might as well use one that works for you.

The other thing is, the way most of us use and maintain our firearms we probably don't need a lube and protectant that'll last for years; We're going to use and re-clean the firearm before any real damage can be done.

And if you are going to put one up that long, there's always wax, silicone socks, and Cosmoline.

-- Sam