Debate: SR9c vs Glock 19 (for an SR9 owner)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gotime

Bearcat
So my next gun will be a compact and I've narrowed it down to the SR9c and the G19. It would make sense to go with the SR9c since the ergonomics and controls are basically the same to my SR9, but I can't find anyone with anything but awesome things to say about the G19.

I've shot the Glock, but no one has an SR9c here in California for me to try out, so I can't compare the two. I'm assuming it's similar to my SR9, but with a better trigger.

Any opinions?

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure it's Cali approved yet. Awesome little thing though. I like it better than the full size. I think it shoots a tad better than both of my full sizes and part of that may be the trigger is a bit better. One of my full sizes does have 2500 rnds and a Ghost kit. Better but not great.

I think part of the difference is the striker spring. I have some fiocchi with hard primers that the SR9's eat up but the I get the occasional light strike with the compact. Shot everything else ok though.

I guess I should add that the G19 is a very nice pistol as well. If you like the SR9 and want to stay in that family, I'd do the SR9c. Nothing wrong with the GLOCK though but it does seem a bit fatter to me.

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
I have a LNIB G19 for sale in classifieds if you want it, now for the G19 itself its awesome, I handled almost all the popular models and the G19 just felt good. Only reason I'm selling the G19 is my wife wants a different gun she doesn't like the way the G19 feels in her hand and its a gun for both of us if I am not home.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
If you can get the SR9C 8)
Glocks are soooo boring :roll: :lol:

ee.jpg

Casual

Bearcat
EricandSuebee":2wpzjknf said:
...my wife wants a different gun she doesn't like the way the G19 feels in her hand...

So how does the wife like the SR9? I've held both and to me, the "feel" about the same, just a shorter grip (which won't matter if she has small hands) and lighter weight.

gotime

Bearcat
^ True.. I'm looking for something smaller than my SR9 and the G19 is definately that. I haven't been able to get my hands on the SR9c, is it really that much smaller than the G19 because that's about as small as I want to go.

ConradM

Blackhawk
gotime":174xcte7 said:
^ True.. I'm looking for something smaller than my SR9 and the G19 is definately that. I haven't been able to get my hands on the SR9c, is it really that much smaller than the G19 because that's about as small as I want to go.

With a sub compact your pinky doesn't fit on the grip while it would on a compact. Grip extensions aside...

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
ConradM":1skreya1 said:
Isn't the SR9c a sub compact while the Glock 19 is a compact?

Not sure what the correct size determining factors are but i doubt the SR9C would fall into a sub compact catagory-

Mike J

Hunter
The SR9c is close to the size of a Glock 26. Sonnytoo has some pics of them side by side posted. If you dig through his old posts you can probably find them.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Texasgunner":2rqj57ka said:
ConradM":2rqj57ka said:

Not sure what the correct size determining factors are but i doubt the SR9C would fall into a sub compact catagory-

Pretty sure it does...

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
ConradM":1wtpb0d0 said:

Casual":1wtpb0d0 said:
EricandSuebee":1wtpb0d0 said:
...my wife wants a different gun she doesn't like the way the G19 feels in her hand...

So how does the wife like the SR9? I've held both and to me, the "feel" about the same, just a shorter grip (which won't matter if she has small hands) and lighter weight.

I don't own a SR9 nor have I had my wife hold one, we ended up liking the Bersa Thunder 380, good size, big enough for me and perfect for her. It's like a Walther PPK/S without the price tag :) and yes a SR9c is like a glock 26 and the Glock 19 is just compact.

trevi007

Bearcat
Texasgunner":30wae9wg said:
ConradM":30wae9wg said:

I agree, to me the SR9c is a compact and not SUB-COMPACT...

ConradM

Blackhawk
Don't get offended guys. :roll: To me if you can't fit your whole hand around the grip it's a sub. Something in the G19 size would be a compact.

gotime

Bearcat
wow. Really it's that small? Non of the reviews I've read/seen did a visual comparison with another gun so I just assumed that Ruger made a compact version of the SR9 and hadn't jumped straight down to a sub compact. Weird.

Well that settles this argument. I don't want a sub, so G19 it is I guess.

ConradM

Blackhawk
gotime":1ysov00m said:
wow. Really it's that small? Non of the reviews I've read/seen did a visual comparison with another gun so I just assumed that Ruger made a compact version of the SR9 and hadn't jumped straight down to a sub compact. Weird.

Well that settles this argument. I don't want a sub, so G19 it is I guess.

That's why the SR9c comes with an extension.

gotime

Bearcat
haha it really does look tiny in his hands. I guess I wasn't paying attention because I've read that one. Granted I don't have bear paws, but you're right Conrad, it looks much closer to a sub-compact than a compact.

trevi007

Bearcat
it does look tiny in that picture, but I actually own the gun and is not that small, that picture is in a angle, in person is a lot larger than that .In that picture it looks like the same size of the LCP ,and the SR9c its a lot larger. I also believe the "C" in SR9c stands for compact not sub compact , I may be wrong but this is just my opinion......

ConradM

Blackhawk
trevi007":1284ris6 said:
it does look tiny in that picture, but I actually own the gun and is not that small, that picture is in a angle, in person is a lot larger than that .In that picture it looks like the same size of the LCP ,and the SR9c its a lot larger. I also believe the "C" in SR9c stands for compact not sub compact , I may be wrong but this is just my opinion......

No, it looks like the size of a sub compact. and yes, Ruger calls it a compact, but if it's not as big as a glock 19 it isn't a compact.

Latest posts