Semi-Auto Forum Pistol Match

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
I have been thinking for a while that we should have a semi-auto forum pistol match. My idea would be that we could use this target http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/LargeTarget.pdf printed on 8 1/2" X 11" paper. Shoot at 15 yards. Make it 8 shots-that way the guys with the single stack .45's would be able to compete without having to stop to reload.
I would think we should leave it open to all makes with the only limitation being no lasers, optics or rests. Then post your results back here so we can all have a little healthy competition. Of course this is just what I thought of off the top of my head.

If ya'all would be interested in doing this please post & let me know. Also if anyone thinks we should do it differently please tell me. I am open to suggestion I just wanted to get the ball rolling because I think this would be fun.
Okay since this is May 2nd I was thinking we could set the end of the month (May 31st) as the deadline for posting targets. That way everyone will have plenty of time to shoot one & get it posted.

Mike J

Hunter
Thanks guys I added no rests & deadline of May 31st to the original post.
This is the first time I've started something like this so I need all the help I can get.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Mike ... I'm in (looks like a good challenge). My only suggestions (to make it as fair as possible) would be to seperate the match into the following 3 divisions:
1. Center fire with barrel length 4" and over
2. Center fire with barrel length less than 4"
3. Rimfire semi-autos (or eliminate rimfire from the mix if you prefer)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Stickied it for you .... lets see where this goes !

I would like to suggest that you find a target with a smaller black area (maybe just the 10 ring). It makes the holes much easier to see, and it allows a 6 oclock hold on the black.

If you'd rather not ... no problem.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I always like the 3" red or blue dot on 8 1/2 X 11 but whatever, I'm all in on this one!

......And I just looked again, it's five feet shorter than I normally shoot, excellent!

Mike J

Hunter
OK-we can divide it up similar to how Buck suggested
Centerfire-3 1/2" & up
Centerfire-Barrels shorter than 3 1/2"
rimfire-is out

Rev the only reason I don't want to change the target now is because some folks have probably already downloaded & printed it. If someone wanted to put a small orange sticky dot in the center I wouldn't see any problem with that as long as the scoring lines aren't obscured.

Please when ya'all take pics of your target try to help make it easy to see the holes. It might help to put some white paper under the black to make them show up.

Also if you are shooting something less than 4" barrel please let me know so I can make sure I put it in the right category. There are some makes of gun I'm not familiar with.

I will try to tabulate results every week for those who are interested.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Mike J":27e7lj9a said:
OK-we can divide it up like Buck suggested
Centerfire-4" or longer barrels
Centerfire-Barrels shorter than 4"
rimfire

I think you're making this a lot more difficult than it needs be. One category is all we need. I'd say centerfire semiauto ONLY .... for the centerfire auto forum. If someone wants to do a rimfire contest ... fine, put it in the rimfire section. Technically there shouldn't even be revolvers since this is the semi-auto forum. I'd think that each type of gun should be in the forum section that it belongs in. It's not fair to compare revolvers, CF semis, and RF semis.

Too many rules, sections, types, etc, etc will make the contest meaningless.

JMO.

REV

rds801

Bearcat
Good...semi-auto contest...Was wondering if the Ruger P95 was considered under 4 in. I know it's listed as 3.9 but still. :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Inches don't matter ... any brand ... centerfire semi-auto ... no lasers ... no optics .... no rests.

The only rules according to the OP.

REV

Mike J

Hunter
Okay how about this then. We say
No Rimfires-Centerfire Only
Then say we make the barrel length division
3 1/2" inches & up
Everything below 3 1/2"
That way it is pretty much everything from a compact up in one division
subcompacts & mouseguns in the other & leave it at that.

Mike J

Hunter
Yep Texas I am in Georgia. My Mother was from Texas though-little town called Andrews in the Western part of the state. I haven't been out there in a couple of decades. I need to get back out & visit sometime.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
Mike J":2xacw6bh said:
Yep Texas I am in Georgia. My Mother was from Texas though-little town called Andrews in the Western part of the state. I haven't been out there in a couple of decades. I need to get back out & visit sometime.

Sure wish it was in my area :cry:
Good luck with a great shoot tho :D

Mike J

Hunter
Naw-Tex. All you have to do is download the target & print it out on 8 1/2 X 11 copy paper-take it to the range-shoot 8 rounds at 15 yards without a rest-optics-or lasers-then take a picture of the target & post it back here. We will get to shoot against each other even though we don't get to go to the range together. Read the First Post.

ruger_fan

Bearcat
I'm going to the range tomorrow.....but I ain't promising that I'll post the target results until I've had a few more rounds through my SR9c :wink: