Sp101 2 or 3 inch?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stashu

Bearcat
Tossing the idea of a SP101 .357. My only issue is what barrel to get?.
It will be for carry only inside the wasteband. I am just worried about the recoil of a 2 vs the 3 inch, are they close? I know I can also use speer short barrel ammo if needed but will this diminish the 357 stopping power?

My main questions:

Is the 2 inch much more concealable that the 3 inch?
Is the recoil with a true 357 load easier on the 3 inch than the 2 inch

Thanks for any help
stash.

saction

Bearcat
3/4" of an inch of extra barrel is no big deal to conceal. And the bit of extra weight does help some with recoil. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the 3' 100% every time.

Landric

Bearcat
I couldn't decide, so I got both:

SP101s.jpg

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have both too. The short barrel one is DAO.

For IWB carry, I think the 3" one is best. It hangs better. I can pocket carry the short one easily.

For recoil and shootability, both do well but the 3" one is easier to score consistent hits with at 50 yards, most likely because I can fire it SA. At 15 yards or less I find no discernable difference. Recoil is not a whole lot different from my perspective but the 3" one seems, subjectively, to have less blast.

Elmer

Bearcat
The one thing I would point out about 3" IWB is the holster choices are really limited compared to 2".

If I want something small it won't be a 2" SP101. If I want a nice smallish 357 the 3" is my cup of tea. Not only for IWB but it's a handier little firearm in the woods. I have 3 right now and all are 3". I have no use for a 2". IF you want a 2" get an LCR.

KCUB

Bearcat
2" for pockets is mandatory

if 3" is acceptable why not 4" and/or get 6 shots while you're at it?

maxpress

Buckeye
my 2" sp101s have gone away but i own 3" sp101s so i guess you can figure out my opine.
the recoil is about the same on both but the fireball is less pronounced on the 3". as far as concealability i have never noticed the difference IWB. the 3" does "hang" better as stated earlier. i dont use a holster though.
velocity has an edge with the 3" according to my friends crono.
the big difference is i couldnt hit a 4" steel spinner with the 2" but i dont have a problem with the 3". no idea why. maybe the sight radius or barrel spin or bullet fairies. could verywell be FIREBALL flinch in the 2".
as far as pocket carry i have an original model (hammer mounted firing pin) smith 36 for that if i am just walking to the corner store.

stashu

Bearcat
Thanks to all for your replies. I may be leaning towards the 3 incher but I want to go to my dealer and try them out "hold them in my hand etc. ".

thanks!!

Stashu

Nicksterdemus

Bearcat
KCUB":2kzgjtll said:
2" for pockets is mandatory

if 3" is acceptable why not 4" and/or get 6 shots while you're at it?

Some folks have deeper pockets.

I'll find room for the extra length.

Some folks love the ole 1 7/8" detective spl & mo' power to 'em...

harrydog

Bearcat
Interesting that the 3" seems to be the overwhelming favorite here even though (as far as I know) the 2" out sells the 3" by a very wide margin.
I bought the 2" as there were no 3" anywhere to be found locally. But I do see the attraction of the 3" and maybe I would have gone that way if one had been available locally.
For now though, I'm very happy with my 2". The way I see it, the extra 1" (actually slightly less than an inch) doesn't make a huge difference. For self defense purposes the 2" is fine. If I want something for marathon range sessions or hunting I'll look at the GP100.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I'm a big fan of 3" revolvers on Smith K frames and smaller. That third inch does all sorts of good things for the gun, at very little "cost."

pezo

Bearcat
I have the 2 1/4" DAO model. I carry it IWB. I like not having a hammer jab me in the gut and the 2" model comes that way. I only practice DA shooting because that is what you use during a defensive situation. I can hit with this gun very well within self-defense ranges and beyond. I say hands down the 2 1/4" and make it DAO. practice shooting and you will be fine. Holster was easy to find. This platform is my main ccw. Edited to say for a house gun I like my 3" gp100. 3" sp101 would be a good substitue and a nice range gun. I was thinking conceal carry was your intent when I started posting. The 3" would make a nice night stand gun.

louiethelump

Buckeye
There DOES seem to be a "more than you would expect" difference between 2 in and 3 in guns. I noticed a difference even between a 2 1/2" model 66 and a 3" model 65. For some reason I will end up shooting just about the same size groups with the 3" and the full size 4", and both will group better by 50% than a 2" model 10. I like the 2" 10, but about three inches is where it gets to be a grown up gun for some reason. If you can carry the extra length, you will like the three.

maxpress

Buckeye
harrydog":35p4jpdk said:
Interesting that the 3" seems to be the overwhelming favorite here even though (as far as I know) the 2" out sells the 3" by a very wide margin.
I bought the 2" as there were no 3" anywhere to be found locally. But I do see the attraction of the 3" and maybe I would have gone that way if one had been available locally.
For now though, I'm very happy with my 2". The way I see it, the extra 1" (actually slightly less than an inch) doesn't make a huge difference. For self defense purposes the 2" is fine. If I want something for marathon range sessions or hunting I'll look at the GP100.

just a guess but i am betting the 2" outsells the 3" with the general public and not with people that are active shooters/carriers like forum members. dont get me wrong i dont have a problem with the 2" i just like a smaller gun in a 2" and shoot the 3" in SPs alot better

ronto

Hunter
If you want to keep the option of pocket carry open, then 13/16" longer barrel and a hammer spur make a HUGE differece.

On the other hand, a slightly longer barrel and the ability of firing SA makes no appreciable difference in stopping the BG, which is the reason for the sidearm in the first place.

I carry the DAO daily in a Mika pocket holster during temperate weather and in my coat pocket in winter without a holster.

Snake45

Hawkeye
louiethelump":3uaj6142 said:
There DOES seem to be a "more than you would expect" difference between 2 in and 3 in guns. I noticed a difference even between a 2 1/2" model 66 and a 3" model 65. For some reason I will end up shooting just about the same size groups with the 3" and the full size 4", and both will group better by 50% than a 2" model 10. I like the 2" 10, but about three inches is where it gets to be a grown up gun for some reason. If you can carry the extra length, you will like the three.
Agree completely.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Here's my theory, my 5'2' ex-girlfriend could handle a 10mm Auto if she had to. 99%+ of gunfights happen at 10 yds or less. Add in adrenaline and you will not know your your name for 30 seconds. The only thing that matters is the instinctive muscle reactions you trained yourself to do. Just 2 pieces of advice: 1) use good hollow points 2) like in zombie movies, aim for the head. Better yet, the good ol' double tap. 2 to the chest, 1 to the head.

I'm going to say go with the 2 1/4" barrel .357 because that's what I have. But, I do want a Gemini Customs 3" really bad now.