.357 GP100: 4 or 6 inch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LVshooter

Bearcat
I am replacing my only .357 revolver. A Smith & Wesson Model 66 K frame which was really never designed to be a "true" .357 Magnum. I found a buyer that was drewling over it and offered me top $.

I want to get a GP100 to shoot .357's with most of the time, at the range, as well as having a good home defense revolver.

Besides the obvious portability advantage of the 4 inch barrel, what else should I consider to make a good decision.

All my serious carry guns are semiautos.
thanks

HH

Bearcat
It's hard to go wrong with the 4" for all around use but my favorite just for shooting is the 6" short shroud.
HH

hittman

Staff member
Have you considered the Security Six, Service Six or Speed Six?

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
Hello: You now get into which flavor ice cream is the best. :D Balance them both and see which feels best to your hand. In some states you need a 6" to hunt. Velocity wise, they are @ 100fps apart. I like my 4" best. hth greg

HH

Bearcat
To follow up on hittman's post, I think the 6" Security Six is close to the perfect .357 revolver. I have a couple that have triggers almost as good as the best Smith or Colt. Throw in my Ruger bias and the Security Six wins.
HH

hittman

Staff member
Don't forget if you're a careful shopper and a tad lucky you might score two used Security or Service Six's for not much more than the price of a new GP.

LVshooter

Bearcat
hey thanks for the input.
I actually had a Speed Six in the early 90's. Excellent gun, of course.
One of those guns you look back and regret selling when you "needed the money". oh well.
I did locate a Blue NIB GP100 with a 6 inch barrel for a decent price that felt very balanced.
If one were to ever "wear" that gun, what is the best kind of rig?

WESHOOT2

Hunter
Something expensive but well worth it from Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc. (I suggest their HSR), or something from Kramer or Galco or Desantis or others.....

EricandSuebee

Single-Sixer
I just found the appeal of the 4" GP100 after examining them both at the gun shop, plus a factor with mine was the 4" was NIB and the 6" was used and I wanted a new not fondled gun... I wanted to be the only one to touch it :)

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I like the 5 inch one the best. :D

Picture033.jpg

ronto

Hunter
Find a Security-Six in good condition and it will be the last thing you'll sell if you need money...even starvation would be an option.
I carry the 6" as a woods gun with no difficulty.

LVshooter

Bearcat
thanks again for the input everyone.
I am assuming that Ruger does not offer the GP100 in a 5 inch barrel length. did they ever?

After viewing other threads and comments, I think the 6 inch GP100 in a blue finish would round out my depressingly small handgun collection in a most efficient way.

At this time, since I do not have a revolver, [besides my wife's, which we all know does NOT count] I think the long barrelled .357 will fill the gap.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
LVshooter said:
thanks again for the input everyone.
I am assuming that Ruger does not offer the GP100 in a 5 inch barrel length. did they ever?

They sure did. Its the bottom gun in the picture.

LVshooter

Bearcat
You know I looked at that pic, and at first I thought "cool!!"
Then I thought my eyes were not doing a good job of comparing the 3 inch to the longer barrel, and thought you were kinda joking with me. (':lol:')

Well now you are singularly responsible for making me obsess over finding the "Holy Grail" .357 Magnum. Not too long, not too short!
Oh well, the hunt is half the fun, right?

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I have a few 6" 357s & a 4". For mostly range shooting & 357s at that I see the appeal of a 6". For any kind of carry, woods etc, I think I'd take the 4". I mostly shoot 38s in mine. To widen your scope get the one you see 1st at a good price, then save up for the other.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
I have GP100s in 3", 4", and 6" lengths.

The 3" gets carried the most (CCW, IWB holster, full-sized factory grip).

The 4" gets fired the most. I've had it the longest. For routine open carry (stomping around the woods), this is the one I generally grab.

The 6" is the one that I'm most accurate with. I've had several rifles over the years that were less accurate. I've never gotten around to getting a decent holster for this one. If I had the right holster, this one would get out of the safe a lot more often.

Sometime I'd like to get the chance to try one in the 5" length. I'm sensitive to how a gun "feels" in the hand. Sometimes I think that the 4" is just a tad too short and the 6" is a tad too long.

In summary, the reason they make so many variations it that one configuration doesn't meet all needs. Go out and handle as many as you can, and pick the one that feels right.

pezo

Bearcat
I have a loaded 3" ss as a night stand gun. The trigger on this thing is smooth and quick. I've come near unitentionally double tapping it at the range. It must have the best stock trigger you could get in the lot. I'd seriously put it up against a smith. I also have a 6" stainless that is very accurate and shoots the heaviest .357's with no pain in the hand at all. The trigger on this gun is heavier however it does stack very well in DA for a nice slow fire shot. This one see's more range time. I do have an occasional craving for a blue steel 4" maybe with fixed sights but and LCR is next. I'm beefing up my ccw rotation.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
I really like the way the 5 inch balanced better than the 6 for me. the 6 was nice. The 4 is nice also. One of each would be good. :D

Latest posts