Ruger super bearcat, old model, timing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

floyd58523

Bearcat
I have a ruger super bearcat, brass trigger guard, I purchased the pistol used. The owners manual states that in position 2, safety notch the pistol should not fire, I can pull the trigger and the hammer falls.
There is no position 3, loading position. The cylinder stop attached to the trigger will not disengage unless I pull the hammer manually between stop 2 and 4, firing position. The cylinder will then free wheel for loading. I have taken the gun apart twice, ever thing is in the proper position. The only item I can see is the pawl (arm to turn the cylinder) is slightly bent to the right. Would this cause these issues or would the tip of the trigger be broken off. Gun is in very good condition with minimal wear on the exterior or interior. The gun has not had the safety conversion. Help

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
usually, when the hammer falls from the 1/2 cock position, it means that the hammer notches or the tip of the trigger is damaged. Either the 1/2 cock notch is worn or broken, (possible home gunsmithing job?) or the tip of the trigger is broken off. It's also possible to have both parts worn or broken.

floyd58523

Bearcat
If I send in the gun to ruger to have them install the safety update would they fix the trigger.
The notches on the hammer are very sharp. The trigger is a little flat on the end and I thought it may be broken off.
The ruger web site does not have any triggers for sale.

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum. Yes, part of the safety conversion is a new trigger, hammer , transfer bar, cylinder latch , cylinder pin, and pawl.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Sam Johnson":2x35goc9 said:
Welcome to the forum. Yes, part of the safety conversion is a new trigger, hammer , transfer bar, cylinder latch , cylinder pin, and pawl.

And a stronger trigger spring and cylinder latch spring...............

floyd, the "crafty" shooter can utilize certain parts..... PM me for details......

flatgate