Ruger Vaquero 44-40 price check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dirt1

Bearcat
Was in the local Gander Mountain today and they had a real nice Stainless Vaquero in 44-40 with a 4 5/8" barrel. They had it priced at $449 with another 10% off of that. Seemed like a good deal to me, but I didn't pick it up. Wanted to check on here first. I've been reading about some chamber throat problems with them. I've always wanted a Vaquero and one in a odd caliber would be a bonus. I'd just be using it for plinking. I called and got the serial number and it dated at 1996. So what do you guys think? Decent deal or leave it alone and look for a 45LC? Thanks

dirt1

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy!
That sounds like a real good price!
Yes, it probably has tight throats; you'll need them opened up, either by a local smith or can send it to Ruger (they'll do it for free, but you pay the cost of shipping to them).
You'll also need to hand load as that caliber is outrageously expensive (and hard to find) as concerns factory ammo. It is nonetheless, a very fine and historic caliber, dating back to 1873 (just like 45 colt). It is superb with smokeless powder and a 200grain bullet, and truely shines with black powder (if you ever get the notion to try that!)

Rainman

Blackhawk
That's an excellent price for a very desirable gun. The previous post is correct about tight throats but forum member CAS can easily correct that. He did mine and it shoots great now.

I'd jump all over it if it was in my neck of the woods.

Dan

dirt1

Bearcat
I thought so! I'm going to try and get back there tomorrow. Can anybody give me production numbers for this configuration? Thanks for the help.

dirt1

Bearcat
They also had a Single six in 32 H&R mag. It had a 6.5" barrel. I didn't have them take it out of the case, but it did have a pretty attractive price. If memory serves me right, it was $299. If you had to pick from the two which would you pick up? Funds will only allow for one. I currently have a SP-101 in the 32 H&R, and I love it.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
Go for the 32 mag... especially if you already have one and know
how great they are..... AWESOME price at $299... RUN !!!

FrontSite

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

A few years ago one of the wholesalers found a stash of the 32 Mag Single Sixes and $299 was the going price. I saw a bunch and should have grabbed a pair. Thought they had been all bought up by now.

As far as the 44-40 is concerned, I shoot it all the time in rifles. I load the 44-40 with about 35 grains of FFg and a 200 grain bullet. As far as really shining with BP is concerned, in a rifle yes. It obdurates well to keep all the fouling out of the action. Not such a big deal in a revolver since fouling is going to get blasted all over the place out of the barrel/cylinder gap anyway.

Yes, the early Vaqueros chambered for it did have chamber throat problems, but you should at least try it before you send it off to be smithed. Ya never know, it might be OK.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy!
Have to disagree; 44-40 in black powder is much cleaner than 45 colt in black powder in my Ruger revolvers. (I shoot both.) The recoil shield, loading gate and hand areas stay clean with 44-40's (also the 38-40s as well), not so with 45 colt. This does pleasantly cut down my cleaning time on the 44-40s!

raveneap

Bearcat
A couple of years ago I bought a 44-40 Vaquero that was in excellent condition. Having heard the stories of throat problems in some of the 44-40's I called Ruger and asked if they could tell me by serial number if mine was one of them. They said they'd have to check it to tell so I sent it back to them. Cost me about $25.00. When I got it back they had completely reconditioned the gun with a list of all of the things they replaced/repaired. So my total cost for the gun was up by $25.00 and I've got a factory slip attesting to its' condition. Well worth it.
DSC03752a.jpg
[/img]

Latest posts