Ruger Mark II Target Taper Barrel - Iron Sights Options?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

alienbogey

Bearcat
Here's the deal: I have a Mark II Target, 6 7/8" taper barrel with (so far) the factory sights with which I'm trying to beat all the optical sight guys in local competitions. I am THIS close to being able to do so. I just installed a Volquartzen trigger kit, now it's time to improve the sights.

Note 1: Optical sights are NOT an option as the point is to beat the scope and red dot guys with just my plain old eyeballs.

Note 2: Part of the problem is that I'm competing with black rear (factory) sights, black front (factory) sight, against black 2" targets against a black background.

Note 3: Speed is part of the equation, but accuracy is more important as we're shooting at 2" targets at 10 yards.

1. I've looked at the VQ rear sight for the Mark II. It looks just like the factory rear target sight I already have. What, if any, is the difference and advantage to the VQ?

2. With the factory rear sight blade and front sight, there is a fair amount of space to be equalized on either side of the front sight as I align it in the rear blade notch. Are there rear sight blades with narrower notches available? (I haven't been able to find any)

3. I have very good eyes, so for best accuracy I would like a very small front sight with correspondingly small rear sight notch. (I haven't been able to find any)

3. I've tried painting the front sight blade with Brite-Sights paint, but the result is disappointing, at least partly due to the 'reverse' cut of the front sight - it doesn't really reflect light very well.

4. How about fiber optic for the front sight? Problem is, I can't find anything for the MK II Target with tapered barrel.

5. Any other suggestions for front and/or rear sights? I need good contrast against a black target against a black background, as well as precision and quick alignment.

I've been toying with getting some extra front sight blades and trying some Bubba engineering to get a small fiber optic light pipe in there somehow, but the result would likely not be very compatible with the factory target rear sight.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

wwb

Hunter
Possible to score a small chunk of orange or red plastic and cut it into a triangle shape with the same thickness as the front sight? Glue it to the undercut on the front sight blade and you'd have sort of a "red insert".

Finer sights may help, but if you can truly equalize the daylight on each side of the front blade in the rear notch and get it level across the top, you're as good as you going to get with any type of sight.

Get out there and beat them guys with the optical sights..... though I have to admit, I became one of 'em a couple years ago. Old eyes will do that to you.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Try a flourescent paint. I shot IPSC years ago and shot limited class. My goal was to beat the open class guys with my iron sighted gun. I am working know on shooting bullseye and beating the scope guys with peep sights.

alienbogey

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies.

I did try Bright-Sights paint on the front in flourescent green, not only did it not make much difference but the paint came off just from being carried in a pistol rug. (Not very impressed with Bright-Sights paint)

<<Finer sights may help, but if you can truly equalize the daylight on each side of the front blade in the rear notch and get it level across the top, you're as good as you going to get with any type of sight.>>

Yes, I can equalize the daylight on each side of the front sight blade, but the part of the problem is a kind of "lack of daylight". In the competition it is black rear blade against black front sight against black target against black background. It's hard to equalize equal amounts of blackness on either side of blackness while holding it against blackness.

What I think would work best - if it exists - is a brightly colored front sight that completely, perfectly, with no overlap fills the rear sight notch, with the rear sight being the same color or perhaps contrasting, so long as it's anything but black.

What occurs to me is - again if it exists - is a small diameter fiber optic light pipe in front, with perhaps a rear peep in contrasting color, with the front sight to perfectly fill the rear sight.

Or, if such suppositions don't exist, what does?

Is that VQ rear sight an improvement over the factory rear target sight?

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to the undercut front sight,, just painting it won't offer much help,, as you have found. Get another front blade insert, a piece of larger fiber optic & mill off the top of the extra blade,, & epoxy the fiber on the top where the metal has been removed. Get the fiber wider (a little) than the width of the original blade & it'll help fill the gap in the rear.
OR,, you can install a V-Notch rear blade in the rear sight base & work off that.

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I had the front sight on my IPSC blade very narrow. That let me see the target around the sides of the front sight. That made a major difference in sighting. I have been thinking about getting someone to mill the sides of one for a MKII.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I also have a 6-7/8" Tapered Target Model & have seen that Hi-Viz makes a fiber optic front sight with changeable lite pipes for this model..
Here's the Link..
http://www.hivizsights.com/RT2008-Ruger ... 24C10.aspx
RT2008_small.jpg

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Black on black on black has gotta be tough. I'd try painting the rear sight a bright color, say fluorescent orange, and the front a contrasting even brighter color, say fluorescent green. At least then you could get a better horizontal alignment when the black bars matched.

I find Ruger's factory front sight just too wide for precision. I'd prefer something much narrower. The rear isn't bad and should OK with a very narrow front if you have enough contrast to see when it was centered.

alienbogey

Bearcat
I just can't resist bragging...

My front sight is still stock, but yesterday the optics sight guy who was going for his 5th straight weekly win shot 49/50......

and lost, because I shot 50/50.

:D

Are you shooting at round black targets? If so why not simply 'hold' at the bottom of the black. I shot competition for years with a MKI with the factory adjustable sight and never had a problem.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I run a VQ target rear with a hiviz front. The VQ is a very very nice sight. Much better built and a much better picture than the factory. The Hi vis is very easy to see. But it is not as precise as the factory front. But I am damn near blind when it comes to a black on black sight picture so the Hiviz makes sense for me. I would suggest getting the VQ rear and go from there.

alienbogey

Bearcat
Fox Mike":2af50zkk said:
Are you shooting at round black targets? If so why not simply 'hold' at the bottom of the black. I shot competition for years with a MKI with the factory adjustable sight and never had a problem.

I've had a center-of-the-target hold for 30 years of shooting, all my handguns and rifles are sighted for center hold, I know if I changed one pistol to a 6:00 hold I'd inevitably forget in the middle of competition and hold center.

Thanks for the info on the VQ rear sight. When you say that it is much better built than the Ruger factory, are you comparing it to the factory target rear sight?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
alienbogey":3sndgk6t said:
Thanks for the info on the VQ rear sight. When you say that it is much better built than the Ruger factory, are you comparing it to the factory target rear sight?

Yes I am. The VQ sight is very very high quality.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Williams makes a model of their "Fire Sight" for the 6 7/8" tapered barrel:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=638240

In regards to the Volquartsen rear sight, it and the Millet adjustable rear sights are of all steel construction thus wear to them can be touched up with "cold blue".
They also, IMO, present a less cluttered sight picture than the factory rear sight; this is a Millett:
2m48229.jpg

Millett used to make a front sight for the long tapered barrel; that could be had with a white or blaze orange post (they may have had one with a dot as well). However, it's difficult to find any Milletts at this time. :(

Regards,
Greg

Latest posts