The new SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

high_caliber

Bearcat
revhigh":2qdtn8o8 said:
high_caliber":2qdtn8o8 said:
Are you trying to use the stop lever with an empty magazine inserted? On many pistols it is more difficult to release the slide with an empty magazine.

Shouldn't matter ... doesn't matter in ANY of my guns .... 5 or 6 different manufacturers.

REV

REV, maybe it shouldn't matter but I have a 1911 with a Novak 8-round magazine who's slide stop will not release on an empty magazine with all the force my thumb can apply. :)

I have two SR9s and neither exhibit the problem, even on an empty magazine. My LGS is operated by my nephew so when he gets one of the SR9Cs in, I will check it out.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Bagger":320vimqv said:
The gun made 300 holes in the target at 22 feet about the size of my head. I'm a point shooter, not a sight shooter. This is acceptable to me. I had 2 FTFires, 1 FTFeed, and the slide did not stay open twice when empty.

I don't know about anyone else, but, I'd be more concerned about the three failures; that would be more likely to be a problem if you needed to use your gun!

CenterTree

Bearcat
RBorgers":2ugy5y3p said:
The sling shot method works on the SR9C, you don't have to push down on the slide lock while pulling back on the slide with a loaded magazine.

Thanks for the uplifting info. :)

CenterTree

Bearcat
buckshotshorty":38ujps9o said:
I don't know about anyone else, but, I'd be more concerned about the three failures; that would be more likely to be a problem if you needed to use your gun!

Yeah, what's the deal with the failures? :?: This forum is a GREAT place to pin-point these type of issues. Is it the ammo, is it the gun?

I hope more SR9c owners can shine some light for us curious, hopefully future sr9c owners.

sparks701

Bearcat
My wife couldn't release the slide on my SR9, so she gets the revolver, it was a little stiff at 1st but the release loosened up with use.

CenterTree

Bearcat
sparks701":p0x3wzqo said:
My wife couldn't release the slide on my SR9, so she gets the revolver, it was a little stiff at 1st but the release loosened up with use.

:p yeah, not much of a problem with the slide on a revolver!! :lol:

Guppy

Bearcat
Picked up an SR9C and Sr9 at the fun show this weekend. The SR9 was 349 and the SR9C was 379. Most dealers at the fun show wanted $429 for the SR9 and SR9C.

I spent most of today doing trigger jobs, and polishing for reliability, feedramps, edge of chamber, releases Et al. The slide stop work great on the slide stop works great on the SR9 but is wedged tight when activated on the 9C. I guess I will go back to the slingshot technique.

I did carried the SR9C CCW for a while today. I am liking it. It is thinner than the M&P compact and hair longer than the glock 26. It is going to be an excellant CCW piece. I think the wife wants one, she may even have her eyes on mine.

I would do a range report but my range is closed till the end of the month due to construction....... Waiting and waiting.

mrme

Bearcat
Sold mine not impressed with it one bit ... with the slide locked back you can't release the slide with the slide release lever unless you're Arnold Schwarzenegger, with a thumb like an APE.

Then when you release the slide by ripping it to the rear you have to be careful that the slide doesn't bite your fingers against the rear frame (happen three times - ouch) ...!!! Slide serrations are sharp like a culinary knife at least on the stainless model anyway, honestly if I kept it I would have had to dremel the slide serrations.

Same size as a G36 so for CCW why not have .45 as you're not gaining anything re: conceal-ability actually the G36 is easier to conceal, another Gaff by Ruger Geeeeeeeeeeez when will they get anything right first time around.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Rock":1dtv077w said:
As a follow up to my post; I read an interesting review of the SR9c on Gunblast, www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR9C.htm, they seemed to like it a great deal. They tested it with +p loads as well as standard and all seemed to work flawlessly.

As I said before; this just may be a great answer to those of us that are CCW holders and would like a compact and reliable weapon in a reasonable caliber for self defense.

Just picked me one up today for just this reason...traded a older 2nd Gen Glock 23 in on it!

1151758.jpg

[/img]

mrpchead

Bearcat
Forgive the cross-post but this is perfectly relevant here I think.

OK, for the sake of additional data points, here's my story. I already own two SR9s, one is an early model that I've talked about here extensively and the other one is brand new and hasn't come back from the custom shop yet. Today I purchased an SR9c from Riley's Guns in Hookset, New Hampshire for $425. I brought it home, field stripped it, removed the mag disconnect, polished the easy parts (mostly the striker bearing surfaces and the transfer bar) and scrubbed everything thoroughly with CLP. Dry firing the trigger was very nice at that point. As light as my tweaked SR9 and with an even shorter take-up, overtravel and reset. This was exciting.

Headed to the range with about 300 rounds of my own handloads: 124gr Montana Gold JHP with 4.0 grains of TiteGroup powder with CCI small pistol primers. This is the round I shoot for USPSA Production. I set up four USPSA targets at 10-15 yards, one with a no-shoot blocking all but the head.

I know this gun is not going to be used by many people for competition and certainly not by me but this is normal shooting for me so why not give it a try? I was shooting two shots on each target, reloading and shooting two more on each. My expectations were guarded so I was really surprised to see my scores (hits over time) compare closely to my normal scores with the competition gun. I only had two Mikes out of 300 rounds and i was shooting the course in 8-10 seconds. 90% Alpha hits, including the headshot-only target. Oh, and not a single failure of any kind.

Why give all this detail? Because if I were reading this thread because I was interested in the SR9c I would want to know as much as I could.

Final thoughts: this pistol is a big improvement over my original SR9 as it came from the factory. Yes, Ruger stands behind their guns but in this case the pistol is excellent right off the bat. The trigger is perfect for a CCW gun.

Some may complain that they shouldn't have to work on a new pistol to get good results. Well, I recently paid about four times as much for a Springfield TRP 1911 and yes, it is an amazing gun right from the factory. It ought to be. For those interested in a really good gun for short money I simply can't find a better deal out there right now. And 1/2 hour of work to get this pistol shooting this well is a no-brainer for me.

Thanks to all those who have posted such great information about the original SR9 here. I really appreciate it.

William Daugherty
Plainfield, NH

Hamcan

Bearcat
Al James":shya08yf said:
IMO we are missing an important point on this whole "slide release" issue. I have been to a few training sessions regarding the defensive use of pistols in my time. I can't remember one time when I was told to use the slide STOP as a release.

It is called a Slide Stop not a "slide release". Using the slide stop to release the slide is a good way to round off the edge on either the the stop itself or the the notch in the slide. If you dont think this is possible or that it is a metalurgy problem do it 6,666 times [15 rounds at a time until 100,000 rounds]. Its called friction. I have seen this happen to several pistols in my time.

This will probably gain me a few flames here but from what I have learned the proper use is either to engage the slide stop manually when there is no magazine in place or let the follower engage the slide stop on an empty mag. Upon insertion the proper way to release the slide is to grasp the slide with an overhand grip, pull the slide to the rear and then release the slide under pressure from the recoil spring.

It also is a matter of muscle memory. In the heat of battle it is easier to do simple movements rather than small fine movements involving digits.

This "problem" is compounded by the stiff recoil spring required on these short little high power pistols.

Any Kahr owners here? They know all about this "problem".

Again just my .02!

Interesting that you mentioned Kahr....when I first read this post I thought about my Kahr PM9...they specifically tell you to chamber the first round by using the slide stop/release. Not doing so can and does result in malfunctions. I have a Sig that is the same way. It is, though, very difficult on the Kahr to release the slide with an empty mag by using the stop.

SgtSam

Bearcat
:lol: Hi guys! Newbie to the forum here.

I've found this post a very interesting read. I've been shooting handguns, in fact all types of guns, since 1958 when I got my first .22lr, single-shot, hand-cock, rifle. As they say, I was hooked and the rest is history.

Along the way, I shot competition while in the military, both handgun and rifle. I very fondly remember the two national match M1 Garands and two national match Colt Gold Cup, .45ACP, 1911s that I was issued.

Now, concerning the Gold Cups. My armorer told me to "never" release the slides with the slide "stop". He told me to "always" pull the slide back and then release it. He went into a lot of reasons for it, and they all had to do with wear and tear on the gun. Never quite understood what the difference was, but, he was very insistant. Now, coming from the dude that was doing our local maintenance and keeping us shooting, I had to assume that he knew what he was talking about. I also had the opportunity to speak with one of the armorers from the main Air Force armory at Lackland AFB, and he emphasized the same thing.

So, be as it may, ya'll can do whatever your little pea-picking hearts want to, but I've had it hammered into my head that slide stops are exactly that, slide stops.

I can tell you that the "slide stops" on my Browning Hi-Powers are on the difficult side to use as a "slide release". When I got these weapons, it didn't cause me any problem as it seemed to be the norm from my past experiences with the Colts.

So, I just thought I'd put this out here for a little information, and fodder for the discussion.

As I said, I'm new here, and I think it's going to be interesting and fun. :D

Mike J

Hunter
I'm not saying one way or the other is right or wrong. I have some stuff Ayoob wrote about this. He said to use the slide stop as a release. His reasons were that is is faster than slingshotting & only requires one hand to perform the action.
He also wrote that they had performed tests where the shooters had been injected with adrenaline or some such to simulate a high stress situation & they all were capable of performing the action without difficulty.
I guess it just depends on how an individual has been trained whether that is a deal breaker or not.

Rock

Bearcat
Just heard from my buddy regarding his second trip to the range with his SR9c.

He shot 200 rounds of full power hand loads this session; he reported no malfunctions of any kind in this session. He is still waiting on his HiVis front sight, so is still using factory sights at this point. He is able to hold 3-4" groups shooting at 50' and has maneuvered the sights to hit point of aim with no issues.

We discussed the issue of the slide release, his feeling are that this pistol functions exactly like an early Walther he owns and has carried for years, you need to pull back the slide about a quarter inch and the pistol goes into battery. His thoughts are that this pistol was designed for a concealable handgun with adequate rounds to handle almost any self defense situation one is likely to encounter in the real world. His additional comment was that if you are in a shooting situation that requires a reload you have a great deal more tactical issues to worry about than needing to pull a slide back a quarter inch to put it into battery.

My buddy has been carrying a gun for forty years and has been to see the elephant a time or two; I will go with his experience on this deal. He is completely satisfied with the Ruger at this point and comments that this well may be the last concealable weapon he may need to purchase.

blairellis

Bearcat
I saw another thread that the Blackhawk SERPA holster will work with this gun. How about the Crossbreed SuperTuck since the barrel is shorter? I have both for my full frame SR9 and am potentially looking to pick up this SR9c, but don't want to have to order another holster if I can help it. I really like the Crossbreed I have for my regular size SR9. Thanks!

blairellis

Bearcat
Sweet! Thanks for those pictures. That SERPA holster does kind of make it look big :) I am liking what I see here. Going to head down to the local outfitter store tomorrow morning and take a firsthand looksey.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yeah, I totally agree that the SERPA makes it look pretty awkward. The crossbreed is a whole different story though. The SR9c conceals very well in it.

blairellis

Bearcat
Well, the SERPA is, in my opinion, an open carry holster. It's not the best for concealed carry. The regular SR9 would probably get regulated to open carry duty while the SR9c would be my concealed gun. All this is of course pending on the fact that I even get the SR9c :D

kscott

Single-Sixer
Yeah that's exactly what I think too. If I'm gonna open carry, I'm sure as heck not taking a shorter barrel, shorter grip, and fewer rounds. :mrgreen: