The new SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bagger

Bearcat
I'm selling my SR9c. I can't wait several more hundred rounds for the slide stop lever to 'free up' a bit.

I'll take $300 plus what ever overnight shipping is to a FFL dealer. Of course, the gun can't go to CA, HI, MA, NJ, or NY. But, you know this.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":23yglb8e said:
revhigh":23yglb8e said:
That does seem a little silly ... seems like a sentence put in print to avoid making an engineering change that would make the gun function properly. This would be the only gun in history that I know of that requires that action to release the slide after a mag insertion.
REV

What's interesting about this is the user's manual for the P89,95 etc etc say the same thing.

Wouldn't a wee tiny little bit of filing of the notch in the slide make this "right"?

Maybe it would make it right ... maybe it would ruin the slide, and then it wouldn't hold open at all ... who knows ?? ... but I wouldn't really be into filing and grinding on a brand new gun just to TRY to make it work like every other gun on the planet works.

Mind you, I don't have one and most likely never will ... I was just really surprised to see that it was actually written in the manual. It's neither here nor there to me, but I'm kind of surprised to see people start complaining about it, and then have it pointed out that it 'functions as designed' ....

IMO, that's a real strange design for something that would seem to be a 'given'.

No big deal either way ... if it was my gun and it bothered me, I'd put some rubbing compound or lapping compound in that area and work the hell out of it ... see if that would work.

REV

high_caliber

Bearcat
Bagger":72gh3oky said:
I'm selling my SR9c. I can't wait several more hundred rounds for the slide stop lever to 'free up' a bit.

I'll take $300 plus what ever overnight shipping is to a FFL dealer. Of course, the gun can't go to CA, HI, MA, NJ, or NY. But, you know this.

Are you trying to use the stop lever with an empty magazine inserted? On many pistols it is more difficult to release the slide with an empty magazine.

Bagger

Bearcat
high_caliber":axiq5p5c said:
Bagger":axiq5p5c said:

Are you trying to use the stop lever with an empty magazine inserted? On many pistols it is more difficult to release the slide with an empty magazine.

I have quite a few semi-auto handguns.

I can drop an empty mag, pop in a fresh magazine, thumb the slide release and shoot without racking the slide.

I cannot do this with the SR9c.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I feel your pain Bagger, that would tick me off too ... I just don't get it being 'designed' like that ... which it would seem to be, given that it's specifically mentioned that way in the owners manual. You sure you can't lap it a little to loosen it up ? I'd sit in front of the tv for about an hour, and I'd work that thing like mad ... if THAT didn't work, THEN I'd sell the damn thing. :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
high_caliber":349ln9w2 said:

Shouldn't matter ... doesn't matter in ANY of my guns .... 5 or 6 different manufacturers.

REV

CenterTree

Bearcat
high_caliber":1x0qvzji said:

Why would this be true?? How would the slide stop release mechanism "know" if the mag is full or empty? :?:

revhigh

Hawkeye
CenterTree":2seb458s said:
high_caliber":2seb458s said:

Why would this be true?? How would the slide stop release mechanism "know" if the mag is full or empty? :?:

On many guns, it's a part of the mag follower that interracts with the slide stop, thus engaging it. If the follower (which wouldn't be in the equation with a loaded mag), was binding or somehow harshly interracting with the slide stop, it 'could' make a difference ... I've never experienced that, but it 'could' happen for the reasons I mentioned above.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
There are some guns that have a no load detent on the magazine that will make you pull back the slide to operate the release on an empty mag.

Bagger

Bearcat
revhigh":1pg4tcsx said:
CenterTree":1pg4tcsx said:
high_caliber":1pg4tcsx said:

On many guns, it's a part of the mag follower that interracts with the slide stop, thus engaging it. If the follower (which wouldn't be in the equation with a loaded mag), was binding or somehow harshly interracting with the slide stop, it 'could' make a difference ... I've never experienced that, but it 'could' happen for the reasons I mentioned above.

REV

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, REV ..... I spoke with Julian at Ruger-Tech. He told me to do what you are talking about. Sit there watching the TV and rack the slide just a bit.

Well, I spent 2 nights doing so. I did so maybe 800 times over the 2 night period. End result? Nada. Then I went to the range and spent 250 rounds thru the gun ... no difference. Yeah, it may get EZr. But, I'm done.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Bagger":1ok0bln2 said:
I spoke with Julian at Ruger-Tech. He told me to do what you are talking about. Sit there watching the TV and rack the slide just a bit.

Well, I spent 2 nights doing so. I did so maybe 800 times over the 2 night period. End result? Nada. Then I went to the range and spent 250 rounds thru the gun ... no difference. Yeah, it may get EZr. But, I'm done.

Can't say I blame you for dumping it if you've done all that ...

Probably be a quick sale right here on the forum if you're serious.

REV

Al James

Hunter
IMO we are missing an important point on this whole "slide release" issue. I have been to a few training sessions regarding the defensive use of pistols in my time. I can't remember one time when I was told to use the slide STOP as a release.

It is called a Slide Stop not a "slide release". Using the slide stop to release the slide is a good way to round off the edge on either the the stop itself or the the notch in the slide. If you dont think this is possible or that it is a metalurgy problem do it 6,666 times [15 rounds at a time until 100,000 rounds]. Its called friction. I have seen this happen to several pistols in my time.

This will probably gain me a few flames here but from what I have learned the proper use is either to engage the slide stop manually when there is no magazine in place or let the follower engage the slide stop on an empty mag. Upon insertion the proper way to release the slide is to grasp the slide with an overhand grip, pull the slide to the rear and then release the slide under pressure from the recoil spring.

It also is a matter of muscle memory. In the heat of battle it is easier to do simple movements rather than small fine movements involving digits.

This "problem" is compounded by the stiff recoil spring required on these short little high power pistols.

Any Kahr owners here? They know all about this "problem".

Again just my .02!

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
No doubt you're 100% correct Al.

While some don't like Ruger's prescribed method what's interesting is that different makes use different procedures. Kimber describes racking the slide and letting it go (ease it down on an empty chamber).

Ruger has been consistent in all the user manuals I looked at online, back to the P85.

CenterTree

Bearcat
Al James":3u5v2ofp said:
Upon insertion (of the mag) the proper way to release the slide is to grasp the slide with an overhand grip, pull the slide to the rear and then release the slide under pressure from the recoil spring.

Thanks Al for your insight. I am going to my local gun guy tomorrow to let him show me this process with this PARTICULAR gun (sr9c). I NEED to witness this in action, mostly because the Ruger manual says that you need to pull back on the slide (as you stated also), but WHILE depressing the slide stop button ALSO.
That is the WHOLE "problem" for me. (depressing the slide stop simultaniously while pulling the slide). That would be TOTALLY unacceptable for anyone I think. :roll:

If it is in fact as you are saying then I would have NO PROBLEM to buy this gun. I understand the process as you mentioned and use it on my other guns too.
Kscott mentioned this also... we all know it as "slingshoting" I believe)

If simply sling shot re-chambering works on the sr9c then I want one, BUT if this gun is some strange oddity that requires holding down the slide stop WHILE slingshotting, then no way!

revhigh

Hawkeye
CenterTree":32i4hh3t said:
If simply sling shot re-chambering works on the sr9c then I want one,

THe slingshot procedure will work just fine after a loaded mag is in place.

REV

RBorgers

Bearcat
The sling shot method works on the SR9C, you don't have to push down on the slide lock while pulling back on the slide with a loaded magazine. Most law enforcement agencies teach the sling shot method. Under high stress and adrenaline you won't be able to even feel or find the slide lock. Your fingers and thumbs will turn to flippers, you need to use gross motor skills.