Ruger 77 Flat bolt

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hadjii

Bearcat
Can someone tell me the significance of the 77 flat bolt? Was it only made for a small time, did it have an advantage of some sort, and lastly, could someone give me an estimate of what a 77 flatbolt in 6.5 Rem Mag, that is in about 90% condition be worth?

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
The M77 Flat Bolt in the short action ie., 22-250, 22 Swift, 250 Savage, 243, 308, 6mm, 284, 6.5 Rem.Mag and 350 Rem. Mag was made from 1968 - 1974. Serial numbers start at 1 up to the first few thousand of the 71- prefix. The Long action Flat Bolt, 7x57, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag., 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag was very short lived - introduced in 1971, the Flat Bolt was soon replaced by the Hollow Bolt and then by the Round Bolt all within a few months of production and all mixed in the serial number range with the short action Flat Bolts. Probably only 3-4 thousand produced. The "advantage" of the Flat Bolt is the Style and the interesting calibers of the day. All the Bru-ha-ha over "short mag" calibers was already done back in the 60's and 70's with the 284, 6.5 and 350 Rem. Mag. For my taste a flat Bolt beats the Round Bolt hands down. As far as a value for your 6.5 - it's hard to say. Surely one of the harder calibers to find I would consider a 90% gun just barely collecible and the price would reflect that - around $600. If it had iron sights (RS or S) and was in 100% condition in the box it may bring $1500. Sorely under-valued in my mind. And don't even bother looking in the Blue Book - they are WAY under valued in the REAL world.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
To add to what Randy had to say:

Flatbolts had Douglas barrels on them. Most are very accurate.

Some of the very latest rifles MAY have had Wilsons on them but since there's no way to tell the barrels apart, no one knows for sure.

Long action flatbolts are very rare, expecially in some of the claibers, e.g. 7x57, .270, and .300WinMag, and therefore will command higher prices.

One last thing: The first Ruger M77s were flatbolts. Ruger took extra care during assembly to make sure they were done right, so the rifle would start off with a good reputation. By the mid-70s, quality control wasn't so high, IMHO, and there were some rifles that left the factory that shouldn't have. I have some mid-70s rifles that are top quality, but I've had a couple, and seen some more that had issues.

hadjii

Bearcat
Thanks for the info fellas. I'm watching a flatbolt in 6.5 rem mag on gunbroker. They're wanting $1500, so I'll have to watch and think for awhile. I can relate to some of the issues of the 77's in the mid 70's. I had a 22-250 that had sights, which I liked, but the metal to wood fit was so bad in the barrel channel, I nwould've had to really hog it out to relieve the barrel pressure from the side. It didn't shoot very good at all, but the worst one I had was a Liberty in 257 roberts. I liked it so much, I tried everything to get it to shoot straight, but the best I could get was 1 1/4" groups @ 100 yards, so I just gave up and sold it on gunbroker. I've seen a couple on gunbroker and gunsamerica that are still NIB, but am really hesitant about trying that road again. Thanks Again.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Those mid to late 70s and 80s Rugers sometimes had bad Wilson barrels on them. Most of the times they had good Wilson barrels on them. I have several that are easy MOA rifles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it was something I wanted, like an unusual caliber or configuration. Or, if I wanted it to hunt with. Any rifle that will shoot a consistent 1.5" at 100 yards will kill big game out to 300 yards all day. A 1.5 MOA rifle will shoot 4.5" at 300 yards. That means every bullet will strike within 2.25" of where the sights are. That's plenty accurate for big game.

JMHO.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I think Ruger should make a run of commemorative/anniversary flat bolt rifles in the original calibers, and maybe some new ones too... ;)

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Ad copy: First we brought back the "Flattop". Next the "Flatbolt". Ruger's innovative bolt design that was ahead of its time.

I'm not holding my breath. :0

hadjii

Bearcat
mcknight77, perhaps 1.5" groups are alright for a factory rifle, out of the box, that's been untouched, but for all the work I went too, to get that 1.25" grouping, I find it unacceptable. There's no way a person should have to go to that much work to get that kind of accuracy, and now that I have a Hawkeye that printed 1" groups right out of the box with the same exact ammo that the Liberty couldn't get with all the extra work, it makes it all the more unacceptable. This Hawkeye model has made me kiss and make up to ruger. I'm even thinking of buying another 77 of some sort.

Heavy Barrel

Single-Sixer
OldRugerMan":h3gyikh7 said:
The M77 Flat Bolt in the short action ie., 22-250, 250 Savage, 243, 308, 6mm, 284, 6.5 Rem.Mag and 350 Rem. Mag was made from 1968 - 1974. Serial numbers start at 1 up to the first few thousand of the 71- prefix. The Long action Flat Bolt, 7x57, 25-06, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem. Mag., 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag was very short lived - introduced in 1971, the Flat Bolt was soon replaced by the Hollow Bolt and then by the Round Bolt all within a few months of production and all mixed in the serial number range with the short action Flat Bolts. Probably only 3-4 thousand produced. The "advantage" of the Flat Bolt is the Style and the interesting calibers of the day. All the Bru-ha-ha over "short mag" calibers was already done back in the 60's and 70's with the 284, 6.5 and 350 Rem. Mag. For my taste a flat Bolt beats the Round Bolt hands down. As far as a value for your 6.5 - it's hard to say. Surely one of the harder calibers to find I would consider a 90% gun just barely collecible and the price would reflect that - around $600. If it had iron sights (RS or S) and was in 100% condition in the box it may bring $1500. Sorely under-valued in my mind. And don't even bother looking in the Blue Book - they are WAY under valued in the REAL world.

You forgot one. :p
http://www.gunsamerica.com/932915877/Gu ... _SCOPE.htm

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Randy, have you ever seen a flatbolt Swift in an R config? The only ones I've seen are the V config.

I know there are roundbolt Rs.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
I want to say Yes but I can't prove it. No record of one anyway. According to Ronnie Burke the M77R 220 was introduced in 1976 (200th Year?). I have had a couple of R 220's but they were Round Bolts as they should be. It seems likely there would be an M77R 220 but I doubt it. Factory letter would be mandatory if you found one as it would be simple to fake.
I've had several Flat Bolt M77R in 22-250 and currently have a V.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Randy, just checking to see what you had seen. I've never seen a flatbolt 77R in Swift either. I have a flatbolt V in Swift. And a roundbolt Liberty Swift.

I have flatbolt .22-250s in R, RS, and V.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
SHOOTER said:
So the only difference between a flat bolt and the later m77's are just the bolt?

That's somewhat true, but there are barrel maker differences, subtle stock differences, some variations in sights, and other minor differences depending on when the rifle was made.

chet15

Hawkeye
mcknight77 said:
Randy, have you ever seen a flatbolt Swift in an R config? The only ones I've seen are the V config.

I know there are roundbolt Rs.

Here's a 77R flatbolt in .220 Swift....
https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/1032/803/two-ruger-m77-bolt-action-rifles-with-scopes

chet15

Hawkeye
The more I look at that picture, it is starting to look like a V, and with that 26" barrel that is probably the case since all of the R's are supposed to have a 22" barrel.
Chet15