SR9c Blackened "Stainless" or Alloy Steel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

This sometimes heated argument has been going on in some of the relative threads, so as redundant as it may be to some folks, I think we need to know for sure...

Ruger, specifically describes the slides on the SR9c as either stainless, or blackened alloy.

This, copied from Ruger's website...
"A variation of the SR9c that boasts a unique, high-tech, Nitrodox Pro Black finish over the alloy steel slide and high-performance, glass-filled nylon frame."

also from their website...
SR9c™
Brushed Stainless
Blackened Alloy

SR9®
Brushed Stainless
Blackened Stainless

So, if a body was to buy the blackened model, and discovered it is not stainless, underneath, but the seller insists it is blackened stainless, who might be guilty of misrepresentation?

And I am fully aware that the full-size SR9 is advertised as blackened stainless. This contributes to the confusion, and to the argument.

WAYNO.

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Well, stainless is an alloy is it not? And stainless comes in different varieties. As does alloy steel. I would really like to know the specifics of the steel make up for both their stainless and their alloy (4140? 4150?), I mean come on, what are we working with here?

I think in this case it comes down to buyer beware. Though there is that whole false advertisement thing. I'm confused now. I'm going to the range....

Turbobuddha":mg5j5ihf said:
Well, stainless is an alloy is it not? And stainless comes in different varieties. As does alloy steel. I would really like to know the specifics of the steel make up for both their stainless and their alloy (4140? 4150?), I mean come on, what are we working with here?

I think in this case it comes down to buyer beware. Though there is that whole false advertisement thing. I'm confused now. I'm going to the range....

Yes, stainless is an alloy. But why does Ruger, then, confuse us by calling one slide blackened stainless, and the other one blackened alloy, in the same catalogue, on the same page?

I work with metal, every day. When we say alloy steel, we're talking tool, or other high-tensile steels. When we're working with stainless, we just say stainless, and add the number, when it needs to be known.

WAYNO.

CenterTree

Bearcat
Turbobuddha":30w9yj53 said:

Stainless is an alloy, but not ALL alloys are certainly stainless, in order to be classified as stainless an alloy need to contain at least 11% CHROMIUM...that is what gives stainless all of it's corrosion resistance properties. (also need some nickel in it too). So I imagine the black ALLOY in used for the SR9c slide is minus the chromium. Hopefully the Nitrodox treatment is the key to making this alloy durable. :?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I would say the process to blacken any form of a cast stainless steel will require a chemical and probable mechanical treatment to the base material prior to finishing due to the chromium or nickel percentage in a stainless. If you would drop these levels, it is technically no longer stainless but may be far less expensive to finish. If any of you recall, on the SR9, the slide serrations on a plain stainless compared to a blackened one, were reported as far sharper, this may and probably was from those treatment steps.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
kscott":2922zb3m said:
My SR9c slide is stamped "A" for alloy and my SR9 slide is stamped "K" for stainless. Just noticed this.
Where is this stamp? My blackened SR9c slide has an "S" stamped on the inside top surface, forward of the ejection port. There is an "A" cast in the groove between the striker block release and the extractor retaining pin.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Iron Mike Golf":1lo42vo4 said:
kscott":1lo42vo4 said:
My SR9c slide is stamped "A" for alloy and my SR9 slide is stamped "K" for stainless. Just noticed this.
Where is this stamp? My blackened SR9c slide has an "S" stamped on the inside top surface, forward of the ejection port. There is an "A" cast in the groove between the striker block release and the extractor retaining pin.

Yeah that's where my "A" is. I had never noticed the other letter, but I just looked and I have an "M" or a "W" (I'm not really sure which. haha) where your "S" is. What does everyone else have on theirs? FWIW I don't have a mark there on my SR9 though. I wonder what they're for??

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Dont know, I went with the Black just because I liked its looks better :) so far it still looks nice after a few sessions holstering re holstering cleaning..hopefully it stays that way..I have a feeling it will todays finishes are pretty durable compared to the old bluing :) .

kscott

Single-Sixer
Hey CBennet, if you don't mind, could you field strip your pistol and look on the inside top of the slide just in front of the ejection port and see what letter it has. Same for any other SR9c owners, please.

nhlever

Bearcat
Actually, in use I haven't seen a great deal of difference between how long it takes stainless guns to rust compared to blued ones of alloy steel. I really don't see what difference it makes. These days I have seen bead blasted stainless guns rusted in the gun stores, and still technically new. Alloy steel, as in 4140, etc. tends to gall less, and wear a bit better in my experience anyway.

Mike J

Hunter
I am not sure what a "nitrodox" finish is but if it is similar to the nitriding processes used by Glock or XD it should be very tough & corrosion resistant.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
On their recent guns, Sig uses a finish called "Nitron". Just to confuse things further, Sig makes "stainless" guns without a finish, they also have black/blue guns that have blackened (Nitron finish) stainless slides on a blue anodized alloy (aluminum) frame. I have read that the Nitron finish itself is so hard that it can abrade the anodizing.

How all this relates to the SR9(c) and/or Ruger is beyond me, but I felt like babbling about finishes...

-- Sam

CenterTree

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":2aubk8yd said:
On their recent guns, Sig uses a finish called "Nitron". Just to confuse things further, Sig makes "stainless" guns without a finish, they also have black/blue guns that have blackened (Nitron finish) stainless slides on a blue anodized alloy (aluminum) frame. I have read that the Nitron finish itself is so hard that it can abrade the anodizing.

How all this relates to the SR9(c) and/or Ruger is beyond me, but I felt like babbling about finishes...

-- Sam

whew! :) I didn't think you would ever "FINISH". :p

CBennett

Single-Sixer
kscott":38d8fpfk said:
Hey CBennet, if you don't mind, could you field strip your pistol and look on the inside top of the slide just in front of the ejection port and see what letter it has. Same for any other SR9c owners, please.

the letter S its where the barrel covers up I had to take it out to see the S if thats what you mean..there is also a letter A back a bit further nearer the striker

kscott

Single-Sixer
CBennett":2n7lpqbw said:
kscott":2n7lpqbw said:

the letter S its where the barrel covers up I had to take it out to see the S if thats what you mean..there is also a letter A back a bit further nearer the striker

Yep that's what i was talking about. Thanks. I still wonder what they mean??

Latest posts