My P89 Grip Stipple project [pictures]

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WayniacKT

Bearcat
I finished the grip stippling last night.
It is pretty aggressive but now I can get a very good purchase on the grips.
I also have the rubber back strap from some Pachmayr grips.
I will be trying it out next week at my local IDPA practice match.

P89Stipple_01.jpg

P89Stipple_02.jpg

P89Stipple_03.jpg

P89Stipple_04.jpg

NC-P95

Bearcat
Looks great!

Love that holster too! Can't wait to get one for myself and P95!

Your P89 brings back memories of a P89DC that I used to have... first automatic pistol for me back in 1993... Man, I sure wished that I had that gun back... :cry:

Al James

Hunter
I like it! Does it add any noticeable amount of "stickiness" to the grip? Ive got a few grips around I think I'll try to copy yours. Great Idea!

WayniacKT

Bearcat
When i draw the gun i can tell i have a solid purchase on the grips and can feel the rough surface cling to my hand. I haven't shot it yet but plan to next week. I'll report back on how that goes.

glockmutt

Single-Sixer
I liked the idea, so I got out my soldering iron and gave it a try on my P90. I've tried all the grips you can get (Pac, Hogue, and Uncle Mikes) and I've not been real happy with any of them with my short hands. Original grips are the slimmest, just a bit slick. I think this came out pretty good and it feels great.
IM001132.jpg

IM001133.jpg

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I am going to have a go at my P89 as I like the factory grips better than the Hogue.

Both of you did an excellent job.

tk

WayniacKT

Bearcat
"TruthNotRelative" a member on this site had recommended this idea originally.

I purchased Hogue grip screws for a Sig P230.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=407181

You will have to tap out the threads for the grips larger. (not sure what the size was but i can look tonight if you like).
I then also had to us a washer (5mil) to fill space as the screw is not threaded all the way to the head. That actually was a good thing as it created a better surface to hold the grip in.
They stand just a hair proud of the grips but not enough to notice when in your hand or drawing the gun.

Just be very careful when doing the retap. The aluminum can break and then your done for. Just take your time.

The main reason i changed mine our is that one of the original screws had stripped so i had to do something. I didn't have much to loose so i tried this.

It did turn out nice and the silver looks good. The allen head screw is a nice thing as well.

Good Luck.

WayniacKT

Bearcat
The weather and some free time finally synced up and I got to take the P89 to my local IDPA midweek shoot.
The gun ran great as always, and the grips were perfect. I like the feel and the purchase when I draw.
I also has a personal best (as I am no IDPA expert). I ran one of the scenarios, with several "on the move" and "from cover' strings, with a "0" down (no misses). For me that is a new one.
I still have to work on doing fast reloads and "tactical" reloads. I suck at those and this gun's grip is still kinda big for my hands as i have to swing the gun to the left a bit to get my thumb on the mag release. But still I love shooting it.
I am considering an SR9 for IDPA to get a bit more competitive, but in no hurry as funds don't allow that yet.

Cheers,

recoilguy

Bearcat
Very nice. It is always cool to see someone do something to their gun and it works and looks good too.

Nice job and congrats on the "0" down, very nice.

RCG

NixieTube

Blackhawk
See, this is true enthusiasm and willingness to mod. the product in a constructive way. Inspiring. It looks great and improves the gun. Super job.

WayniacKT

Bearcat
Thanks for that. Well said.

NixieTube":3vg79k2w said:
See, this is true enthusiasm and willingness to mod. the product in a constructive way. Inspiring. It looks great and improves the gun. Super job.

Al James

Hunter
Well I had an old set of grips that were pretty dinged up so I decided to give it a go. I went a lot heavier and went for a scale look. What do you think?

MortgageauctionMarch049.jpg

MortgageauctionMarch050.jpg

MortgageauctionMarch051.jpg