Remember all the reasons Ruger would never make a 44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I am fairly new to this game but I don't see the problem with the 44 special guns. We have had lots of new 38 special guns and lots of new 45 colt guns without talk of liability. I wouldn't want to get or even know where to get old reloading data. Whatever it says on the barrel or the frame is what the gun is. If someone is going to reload the first thing they learn is about SAMMI pressure limits.

Ruger only loads are a special sub-set of reloading which I feel should be only used in special circumstances by those that know exactly what they are doing, much like wildcatting. :shock:

...Jimbo

I'm certain the main frame on both of those guns is steel.

There may be some confusion about the grip frames, though. Ruger has been known to make grip frames out of both materials, and I'm not exactly sure which is used on these two.

:)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Driftwood Johnson":rronoa8x said:
They were afraid of lawsuits when some clown tried to shoot Kieth type hot 44 Special loads in one.
I'm sorry but this just doesn't withstand scrutiny. Elmer Keith only ever blew up one gun and it was an overloaded 1st generation Colt .45 SAA. Never a .44Spl. There is NO .44Spl loading data in print that would not be safe in a Ruger .44Spl, whether it's the mid-frame Blackhawk or a New Vaquero. Including the infamous Keith 1200fps load. So any fear of hotrodders blowing up guns would have to be an individual on his/her own. In which case, this logic could be applied to any gun in any chambering. On top of that, Ruger has only ever recommended/condoned SAAMI-level factory loads in their guns, including their large frame .45Colts. In other words, it's nonsense.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Nicksterdemus":qsgsjhuf said:
Why is the 44 spl frame steel and the 44 mag w/7.5" brl, non-fluted cylinder frame's alloy?
That's a misprint, both guns in question are all steel. Although technically, all steels are alloys so using the term "alloy" interchangeably with "aluminum" (an elemental metal) is incorrect.

skip

Single-Sixer
It's been my experience that the gun industry is at leat 10 years behind the curve (what people want in guns)...I remember in the 70's if you wanted a light weight rifle you had to go with a Brown Precision stock or one maker that I can't think of now...There just weren't any being made ...it took 15 years for the gun manufactures to finialy relize there might be a demand for such guns...Ruger is no different in many ways...

maxpress

Buckeye
Quote:
How come nobody is worried about the New Vaq in .45 Colt, which is at least as capable of being hot-rodded as the .44 Special?

because i dont want to buy new dies, new shell plates, another type of bullet, another 1000 lot of brass (if i can find it) new molds, and probably a dedicated press knowing me. and start over with finding out which loads run good. i will stick with .44spl/.44mag and .38/.357 for revolvers.

:oops: geee i hope noone can tell i have OCD when it comes to getting a new caliber :oops: