Educate me on the Security Six vs. the Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunman42782

Hunter
The Redhawk has lockwork different than the Security Six or the GP100. In fact, it is the only model Ruger makes with that lockwork. It is kind of the evolution of the Security Six, that eventually ended up with the GP and the Super Redhawk. It is a much bigger gun, specifically made for shooting full house .44 Magnum ammo. It has a grip frame, like the Security Six, but it locks up at the cylinder like the GP and SRH. I love the Redhawk, but the grip frame has never fit my hand well, no matter what grips I have tried on it.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Actually, I only want .357 right now. And something to tote on my hip whilst trekking through the woods. The Redhawk is probably overkill then, isn't it?

gunman42782 - My hand doesn't fit the standard grips on the RH either. I ended up putting wood Hogues on it and they fit my hand much better and spread the recoil better.

Triggernosis - Yeah, they're different, the RH is much bigger. That said, I still like the Security Six series of revolvers, in fact I just finished filling out a trio, a snubby Security Six, Service Six and Speed Six. I'll post pics when I get them all together (last one coming tomorrow).

I have my RH set up for hunting in thick brush, I put a set of ghost ring sights on it for quicker target aquisition in thick cover.

So they are different in size and caliber, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other, they are used differently.

Glassfixer

Bearcat
For treking through the woods, I think I would rather have a SS GP-100. They have very comfortable grips, it points naturally and it's built like it will never ware out. - Glassfixer

Pete

Single-Sixer
I like Rugers but if you want a double action .357 for woods carry buy a Smith.If you want a Ruger get a single action for strength and weight!
If you can find one get a Smith 4inch Model 66 or if you plan on carry more that shooting get one of the smaller frame guns.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
Pete":3tk6qajq said:
...If you can find one get a Smith 4inch Model 66 or if you plan on carry more that shooting get one of the smaller frame guns.
What smaller framed .357 gun with a 4" barrel is there?

Pete

Single-Sixer
The J-frame Model 60 presently comes with a heavy 3 inch barrel and some years back Smith made the Model 60-18.The 60-18 has a 5 inch barrel but it also has the lock.The 60-18 is a great carry gun BUT it is not exactly a plinking gun!!!!

Hobie

Single-Sixer
Triggernosis":392zvavs said:
Actually, I only want .357 right now. And something to tote on my hip whilst trekking through the woods. The Redhawk is probably overkill then, isn't it?
If you only want a .357 Mag the Security Six is the best of the lot. Of course that's just me. I LOVE mine. I pined after my first one for so long that I had to buy another. I also have two Speed Sixes. Great guns.