P95 Decocker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LightnerZ

Bearcat
Ok this has probably been discussed many times before and will definitely show my ignorance but I bought a P95 a month or so ago and I'm not sure what is meant by a decocker. How can I tell if my P95 is a decocker or not. Be gentle. I'm new to guns and am a little depressed by the fact that I've had it for over a month and due to injury and illness haven't been out to shoot yet.

timjo1955a

Bearcat
There is a difference in the purpose of the lever at the rear of the slide in the decocker only vs. manual safety models. The decocker model's lever will decock the pistol, then automatically flip back up into the firing position. The manual safety model's lever does not flip back up automatically- it acts as both a decocker and safety.
The manual safety model has S with white dot and F with red dot etched in the frame and the lever is wider.

Does it have a little red dot on the left side that the lever when flipped down covers up? If so, it's a safety model... if no dot and the lever will not stay down but flips back up when pushed down ... it's a decocker.... either way you need to get out and shoot it.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Decocker models stopped being produced in 2007. So, unless your gun is new/old stock or designated P95DC, it is not a decocker only model.

cce1302

Bearcat
hittman":3urefeo6 said:
and P95DC on the model number......you'd only know that of course if you bought it new or got the box with it......

I had the same questions too.....local guys "warned" me that the de-cocker model doesn't have a safety.......which would be just like a revolver so, no worries

My P95DC says "P95DC" on the slide, as well. It makes it easy to identify when I can't find the box. :wink:

railroader

Single-Sixer
The top gun is a decocker. The bottom one is a decocker/safety model. The decocker model decocks and is ready to fire. The safety model you decock but then you must push the safety up to fire.
kp95dpr.jpg

450_ruger_P95_new.gif

aware

Bearcat
I am glad I found this thread since I am in the market for a P345 or a P90. My only familiarity with semi-auto pistols is wit the Sig line of pistols--I love the simplicity of just having a decocker. So here is my question, is the firing pin on the current P345 or P90 in any different position or state with the safety in the "fire" position than it is/was with just the decocker?

I hope you understand my meaning.

Austin