red dot scope vs. stand up red dot sight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ski

Bearcat
AZSR9fan":1hgrkby7 said:
What's anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of a red dot scope versus a stand up panoramic reticular sight for a MkIII 22/45?

Thanks!

By "panoramic reticular sight" I presume you mean something like a holographic site such as the UltraDot Pan-AV. I've got a Millett Redot which is a 30MM tube type and also the aforementioned UltraDot Pan-AV. The holographic type will be lighter and quicker to pick up the reticle image; although, I like the Millett better for bulseye shooting. If you've never used either type before, you might want to see if you can get some trigger time behind one before you decide.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have some of both and have found that the "heads up display" type of reddots are much quicker to aquire on a pistol. I tend to prefer them over most others. I'm a fan of the C-Mores myself!

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a friend's Beretta Neos with a 30mm red dot. Just a cheaper model from BSA. It was very nice. The 30mm tube is both clean and big enough to see the whole target, with plenty of day light coming through.

mnh2obuff

Bearcat
I have a Tasco Propoint Red Dot on my 22/45 and can pretty much punch out the center of a target at 25 yds with a shooting rest. I'm very please with the combination.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Cool thread, I have a 22/45 as well and am trying to figure out what to put on top of it...........

Anyone got pcs of thiers with some optics?

AZSR9fan

Bearcat
Ski":2eyj530k said:
AZSR9fan":2eyj530k said:
What's anyone's opinion on the pro's and con's of a red dot scope versus a stand up panoramic reticular sight for a MkIII 22/45?

Thanks!

By "panoramic reticular sight" I presume you mean something like a holographic site such as the UltraDot Pan-AV. I've got a Millett Redot which is a 30MM tube type and also the aforementioned UltraDot Pan-AV. The holographic type will be lighter and quicker to pick up the reticle image; although, I like the Millett better for bulseye shooting. If you've never used either type before, you might want to see if you can get some trigger time behind one before you decide.

Thanks. Other than "personal preference", I agree it comes down to trigger time to see which someone prefers. But from your comment, since I would be using the scope or sight for paper target shooting and not varmits, the tube set up sounds better for me. I'll try both at the range and see what I like best.

Ski

Bearcat
AZSR9fan":lqb3av4v said:
Ski":lqb3av4v said:
AZSR9fan":lqb3av4v said:

Thanks!

Thanks. Other than "personal preference", I agree it comes down to trigger time to see which someone prefers. But from your comment, since I would be using the scope or sight for paper target shooting and not varmits, the tube set up sounds better for me. I'll try both at the range and see what I like best.

Then I would also recommend that you see if you can examine one such as the following Ultradot product...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=651463

The Matchdot model has a 2 MOA dot size option which makes for "finer" site placement. Most red dot type tubes start with a 3 or 4 MOA dot which will work for bullseye shooting but will not allow you to be as precise as will a site with the smaller dot size...

bansheex

Bearcat
I use one on my 22/45 for Speed Steel. It workd pretty good, just takes a while to get use to. I also have one for my Buckmark.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

bansheex

Bearcat
I also have one on a 45deg mount on the AR-15. Works great for close in targets.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
A second vote for the Barska. It has worked flawlessly for over 2 years on my MKIII512 (though it splits time with my Nikon 2x scope).

MKIIIwithBarksaSite-1.jpg

sc3283

Bearcat
BSA red dot here (xmas present) got to shoot it today...I like it!
350 rounds and for as bad as I shake...pretty darn good pattern at 20 yards.
I did find starting at 15 ft to site the scope, the bullet rose between 15 and 30 ft..so I had to readjust scope for 30 ft....30-60 ft I saw no change....CCI blazer cheapies for ammo

I might add...350 rounds today and NOT 1 FTF, FTE...I love the weapon!

Latest posts