Any Colt SAA experts here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
I picked up "3rd Gen" 4 1/2" 45 Colt SAA a few years back and have been pretty impressed with it over all. A week or so ago I noticed that one of the cylinder frame screws was loose and sent off to MidWay for the proper screwdrivers. When I got them I tightened all the cylinder frame screws and it essentially locked the thing up. Wouldn't function so to speak. Couldn't pull the hammer back without resistance and I didn't force the issue. Strange. Loosened the screws some and all is well. Functions fine. So... what's wrong with my SAA. Screws too long binding up the action?? Any insight would be appreciated.

The Preacher

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Preacher, Not surprising at all to me! This problem has surfaced a lot with after-market SAA "clones". I believe the 3rd Generation Colt's were made by an Italian firm for Colt. The frames on many of these are so soft that you get compression of the frame when tightening down the screws. This is also evident on many "cheap" foreign made guns of all types in my experience. Simply put a dab of PURPLE # 22 Loctite threadlocker (low strength) on the screw threads. This will keep the screws secure while firing but yet allow for easy dis-assembly in the future.......................Dick :idea:

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
The story about Colts being made by any foreign firm is incorrect. No 3rd generation Colt, or any other for that matter, was ever made by anyone but Colt. If you are unsure about yours, I'd sure enough write Colt with your Serial # and get a letter on it.

Now then, there certainly have been problems with their QA/QC at times....most noteably in the early '80's when there were disagreements with the union.

I've seen several Colts and Rugers too, for that matter, do exactly as you describe (not able to cock the action after tighening cyl. frame screws), so this is not all that uncommon.

My 3rd Generation Colt SA New Frontier has the frame end of the hammer ground down slightly so this problem won't happen and it was factory fitted that way.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
Well......guess I got to get hold of Colt. I purchased my SAA in 2006 and it was new so I might be out of the bad QC era (4th Generation?) Overall the revolver shows good quality throughout and shots well. Nothing to complain about. Grand old Colt SAA. Screws just threw me for a loop. Thanks for your replies.

The Preacher

conder0289

Single-Sixer
Pinecone":327w2bi2 said:
Preacher, Not surprising at all to me! This problem has surfaced a lot with after-market SAA "clones". I believe the 3rd Generation Colt's were made by an Italian firm for Colt. The frames on many of these are so soft that you get compression of the frame when tightening down the screws. This is also evident on many "cheap" foreign made guns of all types in my experience. Simply put a dab of PURPLE # 22 Loctite threadlocker (low strength) on the screw threads. This will keep the screws secure while firing but yet allow for easy dis-assembly in the future.......................Dick :idea:

Actually it is Loctite 222

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=445105

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Thanks for the correction conder0289. I need to do more "proof" reading before posting!.................Dick :wink:

SAJohn

Hunter
My 2nd Generation SAA does not have that problem. Outstanding fit and finish; however, the factory mainspring was so strong the hammer would puncture the primers of over half of the rounds fired. A Wolff mainspring solved that issue.

That Italian connection idea may have been due to the 2nd Generation Colt blackpowder revolvers made in the 70's which probably did have some Italian parts.

The 3rd Generation cap and ball revolvers made by Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. definitely started as Italian parts with all fit and finish done here. I believe Colt did the case color hardening. IMHO these were the highest quality blackpowder revolvers ever made.
ColtBP.jpg

John

Pinecone

Blackhawk
SA John, Your right about the black powder revolvers with Italian parts. I read somtime back in a couple of different articles that the 3rd generation parts were also of Italian origin although assembled and fitted under the Colt factory roof. There is ample that has been written about the original tooling being worn out for the first generation Colt SAA and that reason as well as WWII for discontinuing manufacture in 1941. New tooling was aquired in 1956 for the 2nd generation Colt SAA and that tooling was worn out in 1974, the reason for discontinuing manufacture as sales were too low to justify re-equiping with new machinery/tooling. I have never read anything that suggested Colt ever re-tooled themselves for the 3rd generation SAA which leads me to believe because of ultimate cost, they obtained the parts from Italian sources. I once talked to a Colt representative at a gun show who didn't answer my question one way or another but sort of evaded it! At any rate, the 3rd generation Colt SAA does have the "Colt" name on it and I'm sure that "satisfies" most owners. In this day and age, it's not unusual for gun parts to come from foreign sources both good and bad..................................Dick :wink:

SAJohn

Hunter
Pinecone, I have also heard rumors that early 3rd generation SAA revolvers had some internal Italian parts. The biggest problem with some of the 3rd generation examples is the backstrap upper curve. They can have flat spots which reflect light back into your eyes.

I need to take some better pics of my 2nd generation SAA:
SAA.jpg

John

Latest posts