Ruger .22 Auto Pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
I just bought a .22 pistol. I could not find any markings as a Mark I or anything. It is defintively a Mark pistol. It is a 1972 vintage. Will a Mark II magazine fit it?

I want to get a few extra magazine for it and put some new grips on it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, w/o more info it's hard to help identify the gun. But,, most likely,,,, with me taking a WA guess,,,, I'd say a "Standard" model. Tapered barrel, fixed sights.
That said, yes, MKII mags can work in it. If by chance the follower button keeps it from being inserted into the magwell, you can swap sides with the mag follower button. Grips are a little trickier, as you do have to get the proper grip frame designation.

FJ40INTOW

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply.
The serial is a 12-21xxx which puts it in the 1972 range. It has a 9 shot clip and and the mark II are 10 shot. I may try buying a Mk II clip and try moving the follower.
The Ruger website does offer the MK I magazines but my main question is if the MK I will fit the standard. My WAG is it will.

I just bought the thing today on impulse...it was the leather holster that made me do it.

Can you every have to many?

wingspar

Bearcat
You can always email Ruger off their web site. I did so last week, and they answered the same day.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that if it's not marked as a MK II or MK III, it would be a MK I. I know some late models were marked as MK I's but I don't think it was routine.

Geezer

Single-Sixer
The ones that are marked as Mark I are the Target Models. No marking means it's a Standard.

contender

Ruger Guru
The MKII mags will be just fine in all MKI's & MKII's. As mentioned, the follower button MAY have to be swapped sides, but that's it. The MKI mags that Ruger offers are also ok, but I prefer to get MKII mags for that 10th round. The mags for the Ruger autos will all work except for the 22/45 series & the MKIII's. (And the very early one slot off sided mags that won't work in later guns.)
Just get a few MKII mags & you'll be happy.

street

Hunter
FJ40INTOW":2ncrpm77 said:
Thanks for the reply.
The serial is a 12-21xxx which puts it in the 1972 range. It has a 9 shot clip and and the mark II are 10 shot. I may try buying a Mk II clip and try moving the follower.
The Ruger website does offer the MK I magazines but my main question is if the MK I will fit the standard. My WAG is it will.

I just bought the thing today on impulse...it was the leather holster that made me do it.

Can you every have to many?

If your serial number has a 12- prefix then the Mark-II Mag., should fit without changing the Mag. button. Take the grips off and see if the frame is stamped A100. If so, then it should fit as is, without changing the button. As for MK-I and the Standard Model, they both have the same frame, so there is no difference in the Mag.

street

Hunter
CajunBass":3msalyvc said:
I'm no expert, but it seems to me that if it's not marked as a MK II or MK III, it would be a MK I. I know some late models were marked as MK I's but I don't think it was routine.

In 1951 when Ruger was still making the Red Eagles, they started making the 6 7/8 in. bl. target version. They stamped on the left side of the receiver "RUGER .22 CAL. LONG RIFLE AUTOMATIC PISTOL MARK I". The standard model was stamped. "RUGER .22 CAL. LONG RIFLE AUTOMATIC PISTOL". This was the way they did it until they started making the MK-II. When they started making the Target Model in 5 1/4 in. bl., started 1952, and 5 1/2 in bl., started somewhere around 1963-1964, they still used the stamping that had "MARK I", on it. With the 6 in. standard, started in 1954, they used the stamping without the MARK I on it, just like the 4 3/4 in Standard had. Hope this helps. Info from the "RENE", and "Ruger Pistol & Revolvers".

shc4life580

Bearcat
I've got Hogue wood MKII grips on my 79' MKI with the A100 stamp on the receiver, they fit fine, only gripes are that the safety is a little hard to flip up because the grips are a little thicker than the plastic ones so the button is basically flush with them and there is a cut out on the top left of the left grip panel for the bolt stop that were put on the MKII and III.

If you are using grips that are for a Mark II or III and have them on a MK I ( or a 'standard' auto... A-100 frame) you need to 'fill-in , use a spacer or something in the cutout, on the left panel, so the pins in the grip frame do NOT slide out and to the left, into this "gap" , as the gun will come apart internally if the hammer pin does come out.....save you a bit of trouble later on...... :wink:

shc4life580

Bearcat
Never even took that into consideration, definitely need to fill it in or use a spacer, thanks. Wow a few days on this forum has paid off tremendously.

Any suggestions to make the safety button a little bigger/longer, so it's easier to engage/disengage with the thicker wood grips? What about a magazine release, the VQ ended up being total crap and the factory is brutal on the fingers.

I've seen the safety modified, by putting in a screw ( drill it out and tap it for a small screw or 'stud' and we've had them welded up, reshaped for guys over the years..never saw any "aftermarket" item ( gizmo...)
seen a few aftermarket longer mag release buttona and again, we've welded them up , reshaped them, easier to put in one of the predone ones, just keep away from the plastic ones...hard to tell if anyone is even making them any longer now that the guns with the bottom release are no longer made......we do not have trouble with it, , you tend to get used to it, more of a press and slide , do NOT use a fingernail....... :shock:

Latest posts