RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:24 pm 
Single-Sixer

roaddog28 wrote:
It depends on what you want the revolver for. For home defense then go with the GP100. Now, if you want a revolver as a hunting or woods gun then the New model Blackhawk would be the best choice. Stronger than a GP100 because the frame is really a 44 mag frame. Either one is a good choice but the Blackhawk is tougher than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. I have had a new model Blackhawk and consider all Blackhawks as the premium field, hunting and woods gun. But I have a new GP100 waiting for when the California waiting period is over.

I guess you can see I like tough guns!

roaddog28

I always thought the .357/.44 special blackhawks were built on a medium frame design. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am 
Bearcat

I'd go with a blackhawk or new Vaquero, I opted for the latter of the two. Why? Because it's fun to shoot. The sp 101 covers many of your needs, there nothing like plinking at targets of opprotunity while bumming around the woods + theres the cool holster thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:49 am 
Single-Sixer

rhatimi wrote:
roaddog28 wrote:
It depends on what you want the revolver for. For home defense then go with the GP100. Now, if you want a revolver as a hunting or woods gun then the New model Blackhawk would be the best choice. Stronger than a GP100 because the frame is really a 44 mag frame. Either one is a good choice but the Blackhawk is tougher than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. I have had a new model Blackhawk and consider all Blackhawks as the premium field, hunting and woods gun. But I have a new GP100 waiting for when the California waiting period is over.

roaddog28

I always thought the .357/.44 special blackhawks were built on a medium frame design. :shock:

The new model blackhawk 357 magnum and 44 magnum are the same frame. As far as I know, their is not a 44 special blackhawk made by Ruger. That is why the 357 magnum version Blackhawk is stronger than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. The GP100 is the strongest 357 magnum double action revolver in production today.

roaddog

roaddog28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:02 am 
Bearcat

roaddog28 wrote:
rhatimi wrote:
roaddog28 wrote:

roaddog28

The new model blackhawk 357 magnum and 44 magnum are the same frame. As far as I know, their is not a 44 special blackhawk made by Ruger. That is why the 357 magnum version Blackhawk is stronger than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. The GP100 is the strongest 357 magnum double action revolver in production today.

roaddog

roaddog28

roaddog28

The logic behind your answer makes perfect sense.
Being fairly new to this forum and owning Rugers (Have 1 want MANY more) I was wondering if your answer is based on actual metal thickness measurements or just that a 44 Magnum would have to be stronger/thicker metal than a 357 Magnum.
Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

www.ccdl.us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:04 am 
Single-Sixer

Quote:
I always thought the .357/.44 special blackhawks were built on a medium frame design.

The 50th Anniversary .357 "flattop" is/was built on a medium frame as is the current 44 Special model. The 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum and all regular production Blackhawks are built on the large .44 frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:01 am 
Hunter

You have already chosen the ultimate CCW Wheel-gun buy purchasing the SP101.

Now you should get one of the limited-run GP-100 5" just to have a perfect matching Hunting / Woods Gun

If you decide on getting a Bkackhawk w/adj. sights, buy one in stainless steel (it's ALL steel no aluminum) models, to me... they have a great balance when using a big fat 180gr / 200gr blaster.

The 4 5/8"bbl or the 6 1/2/" bbl Blackhawk would be an equivalent to the 5" bbl or 6" bbl GP100.

I hope my suggestions help you out in your choice... don't be afraid to go with a larger caliber either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 am 
Hawkeye

rhatimi wrote:

The regular New Model .357 is built on the large .44Mag frame. The 50th anniversary .357 Blackhawk and the new .44Spl Blackhawk are indeed built on a new mid-sized frame.

Either single action .357 is stronger than the GP but the GP is plenty strong enough for the cartridge.

roaddog28 wrote:
The GP100 is the strongest 357 magnum double action revolver in production today.

Not really. The S&W L-frame is on par with the GP and the N-frame is stronger yet.

http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am 
Hunter

CraigC wrote:
rhatimi wrote:

The regular New Model .357 is built on the large .44Mag frame. The 50th anniversary .357 Blackhawk and the new .44Spl Blackhawk are indeed built on a new mid-sized frame.

Either single action .357 is stronger than the GP but the GP is plenty strong enough for the cartridge.

roaddog28 wrote:
The GP100 is the strongest 357 magnum double action revolver in production today.

Not really. The S&W L-frame is on par with the GP and the N-frame is stronger yet.

OK, get a Redhawk.357Mag... that trumps the 'L' Frame and the 'N' Frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 pm 

CraigC wrote:
rhatimi wrote:

roaddog28 wrote:

Interesting. I know people say Ruger DAs are stronger than their SA counterparts (.44 mag Redhawk vs. Blackhawk, for instance), so I wonder: Is a .357 "mid frame" (50th Anniv) BH really stronger than a GP100? It may very well be, since we see a 6 shot .44 Special variant built on this frame, but any (custom) .44 Special GP100s we've seen have been 5 shooters. Anyone want to start shooting really heavy loads and report back? :D

-- Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:18 pm 
Single-Sixer

knuckles wrote:
CraigC wrote:
rhatimi wrote:

roaddog28 wrote:

OK, get a Redhawk.357Mag... that trumps the 'L' Frame and the 'N' Frame.

I have a N frame model Smith 28-2, L frame 686-3 and a soon to be GP100. Not to mention the New Model Blackhawk 357. Throw in a Ruger Police Service Six as a "weak" 357 magnum. All stronger than my Smith 66-4. But I like the way my N frame shoots 357s and the Blackhawk compared to my 686-3. And the forcing cone on the 28-2 is larger than the L frame. My Blackhawk has the same forcing cone size as my N frame. I would agree than there is a strength advantage in favor of the N frame or Blackhawk. Afterall, they are both built of 44 mag platform. I guess I could say the GP100 is the strongest medium frame revolver because I feel it is beefier than the L frame. The Redhawk. 357 Mag is the strongest of them all but it is not made anymore. And they are hard to find used and cost a lot if you can find them.
I think we are straying off the thread. The member wanted to know would there be a advantage to having a GP100 over a Blackhawk. It boils down to what does he want to use the revolver for. My best answer is if you want the best all around revolver today I would say a GP100 or a older Smith 686. I don't like the new Smiths now because of the internal lock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 pm 
Buckeye

I vote for the Blackhawk!

It's all about the cool factor! :wink:

lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 pm 
Single-Sixer

leejack wrote:
I vote for the Blackhawk!

It's all about the cool factor! :wink:

lee

No argument here. One of the finest revolvers I have ever shot!

roaddog28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:45 pm 
Bearcat

I was looking for a gun to buy,not sure i wanted. My Dentist pretty cool and he shoots competion. He told me for my first the gp100 would be a good choice,great gun. So I go on these forums and now I'm looking into Sa. I ended up buying a 1999 Vaquero Bisley 45 long colt nice gun , fells great and has a awesome trigger. I really like both of them. The gp100 is the one to get me going,now I'm looking into the redhawk. I think you,ll disatisfied with either one. Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:28 pm 
Hawkeye

Yosemite Sam wrote:
Is a .357 "mid frame" (50th Anniv) BH really stronger than a GP100?

Yes, it is.

The Redhawk and Super Redhawk are both stronger than the large frame Blackhawk because their frames are larger and beefier and their cylinders are larger in diameter. The GP's frame is smaller than the mid-frame Blackhawk as well as the cylinder. However, while the big DA's might withstand more pressure, they will also shoot loose more quickly. No free lunches.

http://www.sixgunleather.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:19 pm 
Hunter

"No free lunches?".................................................................. ah man! :(

The GP100 is a heavy,... heavy,... heavy built .357mag