Blackhawk vs. GP100 .357's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shaffe48

Single-Sixer
I bought the SP101 three months ago and was impressed enough that now I'm looking for a 'larger' framed Ruger revolver in .357. Nostalgia makes me lean towards the single action Blackhawk. However, does anyone have a good (practical) reason to choose the single action platform over the already rugged GP?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
You clearly have no need for one, so that reason won't due. I think it looks way cooler myself. Ultimately, you have to decide if having one is worth the price to you. I'd look for a 50th NM Flattop if I were you. Mine rocks!

JBL13

Bearcat
I have a 50th Anniversary Blackhawk and three GPs (two four-inch and a six-inch). If you intend to use another .357 for self-defense, I'd suggest the GP. Beyond that, the Blackhawk is just plain cool.

LTB45

Bearcat
I can only speak to the GP, since that is the one that I own. After checking out a friends SP I decided that I wanted something a bit bigger. I chose the GP 4". It was the best choice for me and my desired use.

I also have developed a great appreciation for SA lately, however I think that for me I would tend to get a SA without adjustable sights, since I am a new fan of Cowboy Action Shooting.

Either choice on your part would not be wrong. Ruger makes some really great wheel guns!!!

maxpress

Buckeye
i have an sp101 and a speed six in the .357 dept. which are fine for town carry. however i have a plethora of sa's both blackhawk a vaquero which are alot funner than the da's. i can hit alot better with an sa to.

it all boils down to what you are going to be doing with it. target/hunting i would get the blackhawk. nightstand/carry i would get the gp

Rob72

Bearcat
The GP can do everything you may possibly want to do- from home/car/CCW to hunting. The Blackhawk- not so much. the only reason I would consider the BH is the ability to get an awesome SA trigger pull on a dedicated hunting gun.

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I'd recommend the GP100 with a 4" barrel. I have one with Wolf springs. The SA pull is 2-3 pounds and the DA pull is 5 pounds. It's nice, as long as you only put your finger on the trigger when you're ready to fire!

kpp80202

Bearcat
Tough choice. I have owned a couple GP's and really liked them. They seemed tough as nails, too. However, I have recently been drooling over a few flattop blackhawks and a Bisley Hunter, and think they are really great firearms. And, also as tough as nails. I'd say the only "practical" reason to choose the single action is if you think the grip fits your hand better, as that should lead to better and more fun shooting. For me, the GP has one of the most comfortable grips ever designed, but the single action grip just feels like an extension of my hand.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Buy either, because you know you are going to end up with both anyway!
I recently debated the same and ended up buying the Blackhawk after handling both. I also knew it would be used exclusively for hunting. However, I have picked up a GP100 each time I have been in my local gun store and keep having to talk myself out of buying one. It is just a matter of time... as soon as I save up the funds.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
It depends on what you want the revolver for. For home defense then go with the GP100. Now, if you want a revolver as a hunting or woods gun then the New model Blackhawk would be the best choice. Stronger than a GP100 because the frame is really a 44 mag frame. Either one is a good choice but the Blackhawk is tougher than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. I have had a new model Blackhawk and consider all Blackhawks as the premium field, hunting and woods gun. But I have a new GP100 waiting for when the California waiting period is over.

I guess you can see I like tough guns!

roaddog28

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
It depends on what you want the revolver for. For home defense then go with the GP100. Now, if you want a revolver as a hunting or woods gun then the New model Blackhawk would be the best choice. Stronger than a GP100 because the frame is really a 44 mag frame. Either one is a good choice but the Blackhawk is tougher than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. I have had a new model Blackhawk and consider all Blackhawks as the premium field, hunting and woods gun. But I have a new GP100 waiting for me when the California waiting period is over.

roaddog28

piratedude

Single-Sixer
Of course the right answer is Black Hawk in .44 Mag!!!!

But 2nd choice.... Black Hawk in .45 Colt... LOL

Ok.. Ok.... Third Choice

Black Hawk in .357!!!!

Although the GP100 has an edge for self defense. Not to say that you couldn't use a B H for self defense. Its just not quite as "reliable" for that roll, since if you get scared and didn't cock the hammer properly.... it could cost you everything. Not saying I would never use a BH for self defense. I did in fact grab one once when someone tried to open my front door. But I never saw anyone... so I can't really say.

rhatimi

Bearcat
roaddog28":2ij2jvud said:
It depends on what you want the revolver for. For home defense then go with the GP100. Now, if you want a revolver as a hunting or woods gun then the New model Blackhawk would be the best choice. Stronger than a GP100 because the frame is really a 44 mag frame. Either one is a good choice but the Blackhawk is tougher than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. I have had a new model Blackhawk and consider all Blackhawks as the premium field, hunting and woods gun. But I have a new GP100 waiting for when the California waiting period is over.

roaddog28

I always thought the .357/.44 special blackhawks were built on a medium frame design. :shock:

TreeDoc

Bearcat
I'd go with a blackhawk or new Vaquero, I opted for the latter of the two. Why? Because it's fun to shoot. The sp 101 covers many of your needs, there nothing like plinking at targets of opprotunity while bumming around the woods + theres the cool holster thing.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
rhatimi":2p3nru1v said:
roaddog28":2p3nru1v said:

roaddog28

I always thought the .357/.44 special blackhawks were built on a medium frame design. :shock:

The new model blackhawk 357 magnum and 44 magnum are the same frame. As far as I know, their is not a 44 special blackhawk made by Ruger. That is why the 357 magnum version Blackhawk is stronger than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. The GP100 is the strongest 357 magnum double action revolver in production today.

roaddog

roaddog28

LTB45

Bearcat
roaddog28":3bspmyba said:
rhatimi":3bspmyba said:
roaddog28":3bspmyba said:

roaddog28

The new model blackhawk 357 magnum and 44 magnum are the same frame. As far as I know, their is not a 44 special blackhawk made by Ruger. That is why the 357 magnum version Blackhawk is stronger than the GP100. Not that the GP100 is weak. The GP100 is the strongest 357 magnum double action revolver in production today.

roaddog

roaddog28

roaddog28

The logic behind your answer makes perfect sense.
Being fairly new to this forum and owning Rugers (Have 1 want MANY more) I was wondering if your answer is based on actual metal thickness measurements or just that a 44 Magnum would have to be stronger/thicker metal than a 357 Magnum.
Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

GaryA

Single-Sixer
I always thought the .357/.44 special blackhawks were built on a medium frame design.

The 50th Anniversary .357 "flattop" is/was built on a medium frame as is the current 44 Special model. The 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum and all regular production Blackhawks are built on the large .44 frame.