RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:04 pm 
Hawkeye

In the book Antique Weapons A-Z by Douglas J. Fryer, there is an illustration of a "Nock's patent 7-barrelled flintlock volley rifle by H. Nock, London." The Nock name is the one I've heard associated with a volley gun. I think there was one in the latest Alamo movie. There is also an illustration identified as "A 6-shot revolving percussion pepperbox blunderbuss by Beckwith, London." There is also "An air gun by Beckwith, with sphere resevoir." I'm not sufficiently conversant with computers to scan the page and get it posted here, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 pm 

The problem is that it's not called a "Beckwith," it's called a Nock. Try googling "Nock volley gun" and you'll get lots of info. Here's a pretty good article, ostensibly about examples used as movie props, but containing the history of the Nock: http://www.southessex.co.uk/weapons/nock.htm

These guns were originally flintlocks. I'm guessing the one Cary saw was converted to percussion cap, as so many flintlocks of the era were.

Here's a pic of the one used in The Alamo (1960):

Near as I can tell, the Beckwith pepperboxes were all handguns. That's not definitive info by any means, I can't find anything related to Beckwith longarms from any source.

Hope it helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:30 pm 
Hawkeye

EEG,

I'm just wondering about this in the interview. The guy said he called a friend who was a gunsmith and a purveyor of vintage firearms .

He actually had one of the original guns and said it was a Beckwith. So you think the guy that owned the original gun was wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:30 pm 

caryc wrote:
EEG,

I'm just wondering about this in the interview. The guy said he called a friend who was a gunsmith and a purveyor of vintage firearms .

He actually had one of the original guns and said it was a Beckwith. So you think the guy that owned the original gun was wrong?

My guess exactly -- A mistake. God knows, there are much harder things to mix up than multi-barreled antique firearms!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:37 pm 
Hawkeye

Elfego El Gato wrote:
caryc wrote:
EEG,

My guess exactly -- A mistake. God knows, there are much harder things to mix up than multi-barreled antique firearms!

I'm not saying you might not be right, but you'd think that if you owned something that neat, you'd at least know what it was. It must have some kind of identifying marks on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:20 am 
Hawkeye

How about this one for when they get up close? :D
Cary didn't you post this (pic) about a year ago? I thought it was pretty cool.
Again a navy boarding gun.

...Jimbo

Last edited by Jimbo357mag on Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:08 am 
Hawkeye

Jimbo357mag wrote:
How about this one for when they get up close? :D
Cary didn't you post this about a year ago? I thought it was pretty cool.
Again a navy boarding gun.

...Jimbo

Didn't I post this a year ago? This, meaning what? The thread about the Beckwith or a picture of the duck foot pistol?

I've seen those duck foot pistols and pepper boxes as they are pretty common but in all my years, I've never seen a multi barreled rifle that fired all barrels at the same time. That's why I posted it and it's the first time I posted it.

Since never having even seen a picture of one in my 62 years I'm guessing that the rifles are not that common. That's what led me to believe that the guy that owned the original gun that they modeled the movie gun from knew what his gun was. Still, it's strange that a Google search does not find a picture of an original Beckwith volley gun. Here's a couple more pics that I found of the movie gun.

By the way, you can see the rod, so it is a muzzle loader. So how the one guy fired the gun and fired a second volley three seconds later still remains a mystery. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:10 pm 
Hunter

Just more of that movie "magic", Cary.....

― Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:28 pm 
Buckeye

What was the multi barrel gun that was used in the Duke movie "The Alamo" by ...Travis I believe, in his death scene?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:42 pm 

Here are a bunch of pictures from The Alamo:

And, here's the link to the section about the Nock on The Alamo's IMFDB page:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Alamo%2C ... 9#Nock_Gun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Wow, How many times I've seen that movie and I just didn't remember that gun. On the Young Riders, when Teaspoon opened the crate of guns and showed them to the guys he mentioned that one of the Beckwith rifles (as he said they were) had been used at the Alamo.

Looks like you guys have pretty well proved that the guy that owned the original gun that the movie guns were patterned after just didn't know what he had.

Crap, now I'm going to have to watch that movie again to see how I could have missed that gun in the movie.