Bullet mold for a 45 Colt Redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

catboat

Bearcat
I just picked up a used stainless Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt, with a 5.5" barrel. I want to shoot cast bullets in it. The throats measure on the tight side at ~ .449-.450" (not .452"). I will have the throats opened up to .452" or so.

I am asking the board if anyone shooting a 45 Colt can make a recommendation for a bullet mold. I was leaning toward the RCBS SWC 270 grain plain base (Scovell sp? design). I have a 45 acp 1911a1 Springfield-and have two 200 grain SWC molds from that outfit that will serve as my light loads (Lyman and SAECO).

Other 45 colt molds on the list for consideration:
RCBS 255 grain SWC
Lyman 250 grain SWC plain base
Lyman 250 grain gas check (Thompson design).

Not looking for 300+ grain bombers. Intended purpose is paper punching, can perforating, knocking rocks out of gravel pit walls, and perhaps a whitetail deer at woods ranges.

Any real life feedback of what has, and hasn't worked for you with a 45 Colt? Thanks in advance.

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
catboat, the RCBS .45 270 gr SAA is an excellent bullet. Cast of straight WW, it weighs around 285 grs.

The other bullets you list are also good. Believe it or not, one of the most accurate bullets I shoot in .45, is the Lee 255 gr RNFP. Over 8.0 grs of 231, one inch groups at 25 yds are not uncommon. I know people like to bash Lee, but for the money, a good deal. I'm still casting with Lee molds over 20 yrs. old. For less than the price of a 2 cavity, you can get a Lee 6 banger.

Over time, you'll end up with all of them :lol: . Jeff

BTW, I have the 7" and 4" .45 colt Redhawks and love them. The 5 1/2" has eluded me. I opened the throats to both guns about .453". Also have numerous Blackhawks and Bisleys in this great caliber.(they too neede throat enlargening)

+1 on getting the throats reamed. http://www.cylindersmith.com/

I haven't cast my own bullets for my Blackhawks, but have had good luck with .452" commercial bullets.

I'll be interested to see what responses you get to this inquiry, as I have been thinking about taking up casting bullets myself.

Gotta love a .45 Colt.

:D

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
Try these guys also. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

I cast for my Blackhawk .45 convertible. I use Lee, RCBS, & Lyman molds. I like the Lyman 453453 mold the best. The 452190 is good also. I use a 452460 in the ACP version which also doubles as a light 45 colt load. The Lee mold is a 452-230-TC. It has a bevel base and isn't as accurate for me. I've been wanting to try the Lee 452-255-RF but have not as of yet. Good to hear it gives good results.

63November

Single-Sixer
I'll concur that the cheapy Lee 255 RNFP bullet is a good one. I used that one exclusively for a number of years. Later I added the RCBS 300 gas check bullet. (It get delivered by a good dose of W296 and is very effective as a hunting bullet.) More recently the 255 FP, an RCBS bullet with a very conical shape has been added as target bullet. I shoot it with Red Dot and get over two "bricks" (1000 rounds) from a pound of powder. The 270 bullet ought to split the difference. I imagine you could cast it hard for heavy loads and softer for plinking loads with quicker powders. To keep things simple, I use a single alloy. I quench the bullets which get heavy loads and air cool the target bullets.

Dale53

Blackhawk
There is a Group Buy on Cast Boolits for the Lyman Keith 454424 255 gr bullet - you can buy a five cavity PRECISION built mould by NOE for $92.00 plus $10.00 shipping. This bullet mould will deliver the specs that the drawings show (based on previous experience). I have one ordered. This will deliver in a couple of weeks.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/sho ... hp?t=56612

The catch is, the buy closes August 31, 2009 and that is in a couple of days. Moulds will be shipped in two to three weeks from the "Close" date.

I am eager to get mine. Understand, this is a CUSTOM MOULD built to the specs shown. That is more than we have been getting recently from most of the manufacturers.

I have no financial interest in these, just want to share with the community.

Dale53

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I use the RCBS 255 SWC in my 7.5" Redhawk with very good results. In wheel weight alloy, they cast out at 265 gr. Works great in 45 Colt rifles and my Ruger SA's also.

chg

Bearcat
The 255 RCBS bullet over 8.0grs WW231 is an excellent load. I'm getting 979fps in a 4 5/8' Blackhawk and a little over 1000 fps in a 7 1/2" Blackhawk. The load is very accurate and mild.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Just a comment; everybody is saying they use wheel weights and quoting far heavier weights than the factory's list for their molds.
Wheel weights cast heavy. If you want your bullets to weight what the they should you need to use the alloy the factory uses to regulate the molds for.

Lyman = Lyman #2 Alloy
RCBS = 10-1 Lead / tin
Lee = 10-1 Lead / tin

Not sure of the other mold makers, but I'm sure they don't use wheel weights.

Now don't get me wrong wheel weights are ok and actually work well in most molds, but when you want the mold to weigh out correctly use the correct alloy.

Joe