Ruger M77-RSM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

375_H&H_Mag

Bearcat
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a NIB Ruger M77-RSM in 375 H&H Mag. I have not seen one in person. I have looked at some MK II standard bolt rifles and they are nice. I have, on more than one occasion, read that there were accuracy issues with these rifles(standard m77), horrible triggers, etc.
Does anyone know if this PREMIUM ruger rifle class has more attention to detail as in better triggers, quality fitting, etc. than the standard M77. I like the gun but dont want to buy a modern piece of crap. I can, for the money purchase a Belgian Browning Safari 375 H&H for probably not a huge difference in price. What are your opinions?

Thanks.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Of the few RSM's I have shot I found them to be no better or worse than the standard Mark II M77's. Fit and finish were very similar, the triggers needed work but they were very accurate. Of course the RSM will generallly have much nicer wood and the integral quarter rib is darn slick too. I do not like the 375 RSM's because they are way too heavy for a 375. If you plan on carry the rifle hunting do consider the weight with scope and mounts. If the Browning is a long extractor gun I would take it hands down to the Ruger. Of course I am a big fan of FN guns and own a couple of non-Browning FN's that are fine rifles. Have you handled both rifles?

MFD

Bearcat
Hello,
I own RSM's and for the money in today's market place, nothing even approaches it for value short of full custom rifle at 4-5 times the price.
Solid rib/barrel combo alone is very expensive to produce, mine have outstanding Circassion/Turkish walnut, fit and finish on mine anyway is excellent. I have some 10 plus other Ruger 77's for comparison. If you do not like the bead/blade in the factory front sight NECG offers quality replacements of whatever design you may want. Comes with barrel band for forward sling swivel, barrel banded front sight, three leaf Express rear plus NECG offers very neat receiver/rear sight if you prefer open sights.
The Ruger scope mntg. system is rock solid and rings are included. Triggers on my 375HH and 458Lott are quite good and have no complaints since they are sporting rifles. Accuracy on both are excellent and both will deliver less than 1moa at 100 yards w/ factory rnds or reloads. No complaints.
I also own Browning Safaris and they are an excellent rifle, but would highly suggest determine the year of mfg. for in the mid to late 60's until ceasing production Browning went though some "salt" issues with their stocks and many were literally rusted something fierce underneath the wood due to the salt contents in the curing of the wood used for the stocks. Get S/N and call Browning and they will advise. Mine are of 60-62 vintage and believe the salt thing started showing up in the late 60's-'68??
Both RSM's weigh in at 10lbs on the nose w/ peep sight and sling. I am used to heavier rifles and that does not bother me and definitely helps in the recoil department if you plan on shooting more than a few shots at a time. Only negative I have about the RSM's is the silly so called recoil pad they install. I use the leather tie slip on pad from Galco or others and makes for comfortable shooting even with full house loads in the Lott which is definitely strong. Needless to say I like the RSM's and from all the horror stories I read of lesser priced CZ's and yes, even custom guns at times, the RSM is a bargain. Next purchase will be the RSM in 416Rigby.

martin

chet15

Hawkeye
Hey, here's a question for you. Does anybody know if Ruger's RSM rifles are now coming with the LC (light crisp) trigger? Or are all the ones coming out of the factory still old stock from a few years ago?
Chet15

MFD

Bearcat
I can't directly answer your question as to which trigger the factory is installing in the current RSM's, but I do have Ruger 77's w/ the newer(LC) trigger and I see no difference in the two. It would make sense for the newer trigger to be used for not likely they would continue to offer the older trigger?? Was told that to determine if it is the newer trigger to take a look at the back side of the trigger and it has a groove in it whereas the older ones do not have the groove. Sure enough my latest Ruger 77's have the groove. Quick toll free call to Ruger would answer the question.

martin

chet15

Hawkeye
I'll make a bet that none of the RSM's coming from the factory have the LC trigger. I think all the RSM's that Ruger has right now have been in their stock for quite a few years.
Chet15

I own several 375 H&H rifles of most of the different makes Except the Dakota Arms I very much like the Express Rifle most & enjoy shooting it. I have not taken it to Alaska yet because it was just to nice to take up there & abuse it in the conditions that I hunt up there.

MFD

Bearcat
Hello Chet15,
How much you want to bet?? You would not want to take that bet for just spoke w/ Ruger and the RSM's on steady stream of production and are using the new LC6 trigger. Told they are set for crisp 4 lbs break. Can say the ones I have, Ruger RSI's purchased within the last few months, have the new trigger and they are good ones, but as I mentioned earlier, the RSM's came with good triggers as well even though the older version.

martin

chet15

Hawkeye
That is a surprise really. The RSM does not sell well, so figured Ruger was still depleting their old stock. But haven't seen any serial numbers recently to know how high they are at this time.
It is not a surprise that all the other models have the LC trigger. This was a rolling change from several years ago, beginning on the Mark II model before the Hawkeye even came out.
Chet15

MFD

Bearcat
It is true the RSM's certainly do not sell as the std. 77's, but w/ retail prices some $2,400.00 you would not expect the sales to be brisk. For that level/market of rifles, other than the CZ's which leave a lot to be desired in overall fit and finish, Ruger pretty much dominates for lack of competetion. Only calibers offered at this time are the 375HH, 458Lott, and 416Rigby(think at one time offered in 338Lapua??) which does not attract a large group of hunters other than big bore fans or dangerous game hunters. You could say it is a niche market and to have a custom big bore rifle with same features would be a great deal more than the RSM's are bringing. The Remington Big Bore versions are not at all popular and as far as I know, the "new" Winchester/FN firm does not offer a true magnum length action and are not a player in that market.
Personally I wish Ruger would cease the production for the market value would definitely soar even though I have no plans on selling mine. The Ruger RSM's are one of the true excellent values available today in the firearms industry. Might say "more bang for the buck!!"

martin

chet15

Hawkeye
If Ruger would stop making the barrel with integral quarter rib, and make them two separate pieces, the RSM's might become even more popular with the less expensive price they could be offered at. As far as I can tell, that is the only thing that jacks the price up on an RSM except for the Circassian stock of course.
Remember the days of the Ruger M77RS in .458? There's no reason Ruger can't be doing that today. Its a fine rifle no matter how you have the quarterrib attached.
Chet15

MFD

Bearcat
Hello,
Yes, had one of the early ones;however, it was not was not a true CRF as the RSM's are. Ruger now offers the Alaskan and African which close to what you describe, but not capable of handling the long true magnum calibers as in 375 or 458Lott. From all I read the Ruger 375 and 416 equal or exceed the original classic rounds. Believe the two new ones mentioned above will sell well for they are true working guns w/ no frills or fancy wood stocks. Good move on Ruger's part I would say.

martin

Latest posts