Important information on the Ruger SP101 327 Federal.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mncarpenter

Bearcat
My guess is, if the chambers aren't precisely the right diameter(oversize)-cases expand and stick-undersized:just stick.Just right=easy extraction.2 of 6 chambers in my gun worked fine-would extract and could re-insert the empty case back into the same chamber. The other 4 holes stuck so hard the extractor would slip past and would have to punch the cases out with a cleaning rod,don't even think about re-inserting the empties into the chamber they were fired from. This was 327 only-all others worked fine.The 327 is a high pressure load and probably a little touchy if any variations in length or charge. As for the cartridge cuasing the chambers to go bad, I've probably fired no more than 100-150 rounds of 327 thru it, and it was sticking the cases from the first cylinder full.so pretty doubtful.

RugerRover

Bearcat
I mapped out which cylinders on my SP101 had problems... one was too big and "belled" while two were very tight.

Given the high pressure, I suspect the .327 will only work well in a cylinder that has precise dimensions -- and which doesn't expand much when hot.

I am going to wring mine out when I get it back, and if any problems arise, return it to Ruger for a refund. I'm a little bummed by the length of time it is taking Ruger to fix my SP-101 -- the delay is making me suspicious they don't have this problem solved.

nn

Single-Sixer
mncarpenter: are you sure they have not lost it? I had that happen with another gun maker. May have to talk to a supervisor and have someone actually see it an verify the serial # instead of just reading a computer entry.

mncarpenter

Bearcat
I actually did that this week,called 'em on Aug 3rd-guess what , it's going to the range,but Ruger is shut down for the weekfor the annual shutdown. So, if it really is going to the range, and if it really gets prooftested, they might send it back. Or maybe, they will just keep it, maybe give it to Plaxico to take to prison w him, who the F@*! knows.
As far as your suspicion that they don't have it solved,'Rover , I think you are right. I talked to a supervisor, supposedly, she said they were having difficulty getting cylinders...don't they machine they're own? How come Hamilton Bowen can convert 32 H&R magnums to 327 and doesn't have the same issues??

mncarpenter

Bearcat
I finally have the gun in hand,it's off to the range today.(my range...)
Here is the list of repairs:
Barrel-replaced
Cylinder-replaced
Ejector rod-replaced
Hammer dog-replaced
Internal components-replaced
I'm thinking that 'bout leaves frame,grips,and sights that didn't get replaced...

mustang99

Single-Sixer
If they put a new cylinder in the gun then you need a new ejector. Depending on how the cylinder fit into the original frame/bbl then you might need a new barrel to properly fit the new cylinder. So basically all instances of a cylinder replacement should look about the same on the repair ticket.

dougader

Hunter
What are the ranges of serial numbers with these cylinder problems?

Any more reports on returned guns, or do I have to send my 32 mags to Bowen to get a decent 327?

RugerRover

Bearcat
As far as I know, Ruger hasn't issued a recall, so has not published the serial number range involved.

It is possible not all SP-101's in the SN range (whatever it is) are affected. If you have the problem (e.g., rounds sticking in some of the chambers, and/or the inability to insert fresh rounds in some chambers) you should contact Ruger per the generic instructions on their web page and they will arrange for shipment of your revolver to the Factory for repair.

Mine, just back from the Factory, is serial number 573-630XX.

A detailed report on my SP-101, documenting the factory repair and its effects with .32 H&R MAG and .327 FED ammo, will be posted after I go to the range this weekend.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
This sounds like a good item for Chet15 to publish in RENE.

----------
The lowest serial number of SP101 in .327 with a cylinder problem is:
573-630xx

The highest serial number of SP101 in .327 with a cylinder problem is:
573-630xx
----------

Maybe we can figure out the approximate serial number range by collecting data from .327 SP101 owners. We can use RugerRover's SP101 serial number to start.

Anyone else with cylinder issues like to share their serial number?

Buddy in FL

Bearcat
My .327 Fed Mag SP101 still at Ruger with the cylinder issue 573-791XX.
Received by Ruger on 6/29/09. I have not called customer service for an update. It seems that 60 days is currently about the turn-around.
Any updated range reports from those who have received repaired revolvers?

mncarpenter

Bearcat
Mine is 563-903xx-I have it now but work has interefered with getting to the range, maybe Saturday and will post the results

RugerRover

Bearcat
My SP-101 (SN 573-630XX), Model 05759, catalog KSP-32731X, started exhibiting sticky chambers and difficulty inserting rounds into charge holes when bought new.

After I read about the problem on the Sig Forum, and did further research on the Ruger Forum, I realized Ruger would fix it. I called Ruger about the problem, and they had UPS pick up the revolver at my home on 3 June. It was returned via UPS on 10 August 2009, taking around 70 days to be repaired by the Ruger factory -- at no cost to me.

Repairs

Ruger replaced the cylinder and the ejector retainer, and repaired the front sight, crane, and cyc rel button. They replaced several "internal components" (not further specified). They then did a safety function check and test firing and returned it to me. They did not replace the barrel, as they did on mncarpenter's SP-101.

Comments

The cylinder/barrel gap appears to be perfect. The lockup is very solid, and there is no shake or rattle in the cylinder. I noticed small grind marks in the charge holes, against the chamber walls by the star.

I fired about 120X rounds of the following ammunition Friday night, the week I received the revolver back:

.32 H&R Mag 100gr JHP G32MA made by Georgia Arms
.32 H&R Mag 100gr JHP #MC32M made by Master Cartridge
.327 FED Mag Federal Premium 85gr Hydra-Shok JHP PD327HS1
.327 FED Mag American Eagle 100gr JSP AE327
.327 FED Mag Speer Gold Dot 115gr GDHP 23914

Comments:

Many of the .32 H&R Mags exhibited blow-by burning on the sides of their cases, almost to the length of the cartridge. .327 ammo exhibited a little "belling" or expansion the length of the case up to about .20 inches from the rim, and some mild blow-by from burning powder on the sides of the cases.

Of the .327 rounds, the American Eagle and the Speer Gold Dots were the snappiest; the 85gr Federal Premium was the mildest of the .327's, and of course the .32 H&R Mag rounds were mild. But if you have one of these revolvers, you know this.

All cases were easy to extract after firing, so the problem that was the cause of returning the SP-101 has been fixed. Occasionally, .327 rounds following .32 H&R Mag rounds were a tad difficult to insert the last .2 inches, which I attribute to the longer .327 round running into powder residue near the front of the chambers from the .32's (.327's following .327's did not have this problem). However, they were not so tight that they could not be fully inserted and easily extracted, whether fired or not.

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Updated... thanks for the input!

----------
563-903xx

573-791xx
----------

Note: 574-06xxx is reported as having no problems from the factory. May 2009 production according to Ruger. Maybe the issue is fixed now?

Don W

Bearcat
In April serial# 573-71189 was sent in for extraction issues. At the end of June, Ruger decided the gun could not be repaired and is sending a replacement. I was told this morning, new gun should be arriving at FFL next week. Now, Ruger Customer Service has told me "2 more weeks" since May. I am not holding my breath.

Ronnie J

Bearcat
Cordite":156s9s3u said:
Updated... thanks for the input!

----------
563-903xx

573-791xx
----------

Note: 574-06xxx is reported as having no problems from the factory. May 2009 production according to Ruger. Maybe the issue is fixed now?

We need to take the highest number to 573-865xx left Ruger 9/30/2008

I returned it for repair in early summer and had it back in about 6 weeks-the cylinder was replaced and several repairs and/or adjustments were listed also. This was NIB from the dealer. I am very happy with the customer service and they did a fine job in taking care of me. However, I must state that there was no reason for that 101 to have left the factory with the finish that was on it or to be returned with even worse file marks and lack of the quilty finish I had always thought Ruger to have.

Ronnie J

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Updated... thanks, Ronnie J!

----------
563-903xx

573-865xx
----------

Note: 574-06xxx is reported as having no problems from the factory. May 2009 production according to Ruger. Maybe the 574 prefix denotes the start of production with the revised cylinders. I'd like to hear from anyone with a 574 series .327 revolver that was returned for a cylinder problem.

nn

Single-Sixer
I'm in the zone and have not had a problem, 573-631xx

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Updated... thanks, nn!

----------
563-903xx

573-865xx
----------

Note - The following serial numbers are reported as having no issues from the factory:
573-631xx
574-06xxx

sebtool

Blackhawk
Geez - what a nightmare.... Several possible causes relates to metallurgy, tooling, processes and/or machinery.

I've been working in machine shops since 1977, after my 1st year of tech school. Started sweeping floors and cutting stock, had my own shop (still part time, thanks to this f!@@$$!!! ECONOMY..) so I've seen a lot of issues.

My guess is that Ruger is going through the process pains that others described earlier. When you spend beaucoup $$$$ on CNC equipment, rigging, installation, and the tooling(costs a freakin' fortune!)the bean counters justify the payoff over a certain period of time. The Return On Investment is based on the manufacturer of the machine's 'claimed' cycle and operational speed. And we ALL know that salesmen NEVER stretch the truth.... right?

Then we can get into management trying to save $$$ by importing alloy steels from overseas that are definitely NOT as consistent or pure as that put out by reputable American makers. Hard and/or soft spots in the material can be a nightmare as far as consistent accuracy goes. Varying results from heat treatment processes due to poor quality material are a very real possibility here.

I see it all the time - a programmer writes a program based on the manufacturer's recommendations, for both the machine and tooling. THe progress in both areas over the last 10-15 yrs has been phenominal, but the basic rules of machining still apply! College educated bean counters, not to mention engineers, and 'freshly minted managers' have no clue why things aren't working right, but they want it fixed, and fixed NOW!

And the lack of honesty in admitting a problem has as much to do with the general lack of morals these days as the overabundance of lawyers, of which Ruger seems to have more than their share.... :( That's the part that bothers me more than anything. This whole problem should have been fixed in-house well before the guns were ever available for sale!

The bottom line is that when production numbers don't meet projections, managers scream. Programmers then try to push the envelope harder and faster, resulting in more scrapped parts, and a big problem for QC departments. Not to mention the poor schmuck running the machine who actually is trying to make the processes work! :evil:

Compound these issues with all the Lean Manufacturing, 5S, Six Sigma, ISO, QS, AS, etc. constraints, it's almost a freakin' miracle that anything gets out at all, sometimes! Thanks ALOT Toyota!

Ruger and their subcontractor's are going to have to learn that you can only push a manufacturing preocess so fast. Take the manufacturer's recommendations, knock off 30-40%, and start there.

It's just like working up a new load for your favorite gun. You don't start at maximum, you work up to it, find out what's safe and accurate, then go from there.

Obviously, most college educated bean counters and management trainees aren't reloaders..... :shock:

Hopefully Ruger's upper management will start reading some of these forums, and come to the realization that honesty is the best policy, and admit the snafu they're trying to ignore. Everybody makes mistakes, just got to be a man about it, if you want your company to survive. Especially these days.
It takes money to make money, and some corners can't be cut. Those have to be learned thru experience.

And Ruger's learning that the hard way..... :oops:

Latest posts