Cleaning with Simple Green?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
Anybody ever disassemble a GP100 and dunk in Simple Green? Do you use full strength or dilute it? I know to lube after.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
timalso":2bpuuytg said:
Simple Green should probably be diluted 5 part to 100.

By the way, why do you want to dip it in Simple Green?

Got it used. Looks new, but I've been polishing it with Mother's Mag, and that stuff gets into the crevices. Also, I would think letting the cylidner and barrel soak in it for a while will make removing lead and copper a bit easier. I've never field stripped a Ruger and I figure why not really get it clean? if it doesn't look bad when I get it stripped, I'll probably just use Gun Scrubber on the internals, followed by a lube.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
I was going to us it once, but a couple of pretty knowledgable people told me that it can be hard on some finishes. I decided it was cheaper in the long run to use regular gun cleaning products, and not take a chance.

Earl.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Yes, do not use it in any concentration anywhere near aluminum parts.

You ask, does my Ruger GP-100 have aluminum parts?

Well, yes, if nothing else, the rear sight body is aluminum...

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
In black powder competition, we used 50: 50 Simple Green and water to clean bore fouling between events.

For final cleaning, we pump Ballistol up and down the barrel and use it to clean exterior parts. After patches come clean and all parts are cleaned with Ballistol, simply patch the barrel and exterior dry. Thats it. No water.

The guns we use this on are either "in the white" with no blueing or blued steel. Stainless steel is not used in or competition, because it wasnt invented in the Civil War. Ballistol keeps these guns rust free. Dont know how it works on centerfire guns.