My 22/45 New Vaquero - UPDATED w/Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter
:mrgreen:

DSCN0537.JPG

They're "Cowboy Action" practice .45 Colt chamber inserts, chambered & rifled for .22LR - which I just received last nite from The Sportsman's Guide.

DSCN0538.JPG

I intend to range test them, and will report on how they do.

pete44ru

Hunter
Not AFAIK - They're made/sold for/as CAS practice with the CAS .45 Colt revolver.

I don't think .44 Mags are used, or even allowed, for CAS - but maybe an industrious soul could outside lathe-turn these down to .44 mag specs.

Pete,

I saw those in the Sportsman's Guide and wondered how they would work. I envision a .22 bullet bouncing through the .45 barrel. Would the rifling even work on the bullet? Will be awaiting your range report.

Rick

captainkirk

Blackhawk
Tensaw":ugz8wfs7 said:
Pete,

I saw those in the Sportsman's Guide and wondered how they would work. I envision a .22 bullet bouncing through the .45 barrel. Would the rifling even work on the bullet? Will be awaiting your range report.

Rick

Ideally they would be stabilized in the rifled portion of the case insert and never touch the barrel (consider the barrel to be a "counterbored muzzle" for its entire length). I wonder how orienting them in the chambers would affect poi?

captainkirk

pete44ru

Hunter
[I envision a .22 bullet bouncing through the .45 barrel. Would the rifling even work on the bullet? ]

Dunno yet - but the rifling works just fine in all four of my NAA Mini's ( 1" bbl).

[I wonder how orienting them in the chambers would affect poi? ]

There's not much "orienting" that can be done, since the .22 chamber HAS to line up with the NV ejector rod.

The installation instructions say to hold the EJ rod all the way to the rear while seating the insert into the .45 chamber to assure it aligns properly.

The .45 inserts are a nice/snug fit - When I want to go back to shooting .45 Colt cartridges, I have to start the inserts out of the .45 chambers by slightly offsetting the chamber and tapping it with the EJ rod.

captainkirk

Blackhawk
pete44ru":3khejkge said:
[I envision a .22 bullet bouncing through the .45 barrel. Would the rifling even work on the bullet? ]

Dunno yet - but the rifling works just fine in all four of my NAA Mini's ( 1" bbl).

[I wonder how orienting them in the chambers would affect poi? ]

There's not much "orienting" that can be done, since the .22 chamber HAS to line up with the NV ejector rod.

The installation instructions say to hold the EJ rod all the way to the rear while seating the insert into the .45 chamber to assure it aligns properly.

The .45 inserts are a nice/snug fit - When I want to go back to shooting .45 Colt cartridges, I have to start the inserts out of the .45 chambers by slightly offsetting the chamber and tapping it with the EJ rod.

Ok, that sounds right. I just pictured you having to eject the whole assempbly each time and replace the 22 and reload. Just ejecting the 22 brass is a much better system.

captainkirk

sumoj275

Bearcat
Very interested to see how these work out. I ight have to pick up a set for my Acusport Bisley that hopefully be here tomorrow.

pete44ru

Hunter
I took my NV to the range today, and shot it @ 7yds (21') with the recommended standard velocity ammo - I had CCI plain lead RN bullets on hand.

DSCN0540.JPG

I guess it's about what I expected - a beer can can plinking and/or trigger time practice accessory - except that I found it curious that some hits were cutting wads, while others obviously keyholed.

I didn't take the time to see if a specific insert or two were the only ones doing the keyholeing, or if they were all randomly keyholeing shots.
A project for another day, and a notebook, after the inserts are marked & numbered so I can tell who's on first.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
That doesn't look too bad. Does anyone know if these are available from other sources and/or in other calibers?
I have a .357-50th anniversary model and while shooting .38's is cheaper than .357, being able to shoot .22's would be cheaper still.

-Stephen

REP1954

Blackhawk
Kind of fun looking but I think a replacement cylinder with the chambers and bores built in would be more to my liking. Hmm might make for a fun winter project this year.