RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:39 pm 
Hawkeye

I can't believe you guys are having kittens over a few jams... the more you shoot it (and you should shoot it a lot) the better it will get. I own several MK pistols, and the MKIII is by far the best of them.

I just put a Tactical Solutions upper on one of my MKIIIs and it is one heck of a light and fun gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:35 am 
Hunter

blume357 wrote:
....My MKIII does this every 25 to 100 rounds and I've never thought about blaming the pistol.... even when a 22lr is working perfectly and say you are shooting federal bulk back.........

I have a Bull Barrel Mark I and a Mark II Target. I can run a whole 550 round carton of Federal bulk pack through either one with nary a problem. There was a time years ago when I had an occasional failure to feed, but after tweaking the magazine lips, that problem went away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:16 pm 
Bearcat

If you are OK with a "few jams" ...fine, enjoy your jams. If you want a jam free gun, remove the tab from the LCI. Up to you. I can't get my MK III to jam after doing this fix even with rapid firing magazine after magazine. I really think that the LCI is the only difference between the functioning of the MK II vs. the MK III.
If your mind is made up without trying out this fix...it's your loss.
I'm getting tired of posting this and have no skin in this game. Do whatever and enjoy the jam game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:15 pm 
Single-Sixer

I can't believe you guys put up with stove pipes... even a few.

Since I removed the LCI clip I have had none, zero, zip jams and it has nothing to do the ammo. I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find... and they don't jam or stove pipe. Even the every now and then creampuff duds that you get in Wallymarts Federal bulk, eject without a hitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:50 pm 
Bearcat

raw...I'm trying to understand the reticence about at least trying the "fix" here. When I first read the post on this forum about removing the tab and seeing how simple it was, I immediately tried it and have not had a misfire or jam since no matter what I feed the gun. The stupid tab puts a drag on the casing during ejection...doesn't this make sense?
I just don't get it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 pm 
Single-Sixer

The jams and FTE's are just not acceptable. I have three MK II's. A couple of them exhibited a few FTE's so I changed out the extractor to a VQ unit.

Have not had an FTE since. I can run up to a box of Wallyworld Federals or Remingtons (without cleaning in between) without any issues. It will probably keep on running, but I like to clean my guns after finishing a box of ammo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm 
Single-Sixer

zenbiker wrote:
raw...I'm trying to understand the reticence about at least trying the "fix" here. When I first read the post on this forum about removing the tab and seeing how simple it was, I immediately tried it and have not had a misfire or jam since no matter what I feed the gun. The stupid tab puts a drag on the casing during ejection...doesn't this make sense?
I just don't get it!

zenbiker... if and when you do understand send me an email. One thing I learned on these web forums... any web forum... you will get opposition to just about anything.

Too many people have had a success with taking the LCI tab out for it not to be a major cause of FTEs. I could understand the opposition if the LCI was a major part of the gun performing a very useful function. But for all intents and purposes the LCI is a worthless gadget that most of us would prefer it was never added... I know Ruger had too... but we don't have too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:25 pm 
Bearcat

raw.....Personally, I feel like I have a new gun. I can tell you, being in a very technical field as a profession that change of any kind is resisted.....ALWAYS!! Jam away, I say for those who have their minds made up before trying a change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:42 pm 
Single-Sixer

i removed the tab on mine this morning 200 flawless rounds before at least one jam every fifty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:38 pm 
Bearcat

Oh...Lad..dee..dah. This is THE FIX! I just wish I had a vested interest in this fix. Those of you who don't do it...Suffer!