Gunsmithing Ruger Single Actions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
ruger_sa.gif

www.gunbooks.com

Answers to just about any question regarding SR&Co. Single Action work lies within this book.

Roy Slover

Bearcat
flatgate, thanks for the info. I just ordered mine. I have been trying to find this book for over a year. I just finished timing my 3 screw 4 5/8 41 mag, so now I can see if I got it right! Thanks Roy

flatgate

Hawkeye
Roy,

Glad to hear your experiences! I'm a strong believer in "doing the research" prior to "doing the project" and just wanted to share!

flatgate

Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
flatgate":37pgkhci said:
Roy,

Glad to hear your experiences! I'm a strong believer in "doing the research" prior to "doing the project" and just wanted to share!

flatgate

flatgate,

Does that mean that you actually read the instructions first? :)

Wheelgunner

win85shooter

Bearcat
I just received mine in the mail and it's the same high quality material as all of his manuals. This makes my third book from Jerry. I also have the US .30 Cal. Service Rifles and the Colt .45 automatic from my Rifle and Pistol Team shooting days in the Navy. There is so much information in it that it's hard to put down. I
Mike

sargeny1

Bearcat
Hi All...I wouldn't get toooo worked up about his books, AS THEY ARE PUBLISHED.....I purchased his book on the colt revolvers....needed to fit a new bolt and hand on my python....I tried to follow his book to do this and found that it was impossible....I wrote the publisher of his book DETAILING the steps in the book...the publisher ADMITTED to EDITING Kuhnhausen's shop manuals..!!!! Of course, they HEAVILY EDITED out MANY steps involed in what I was trying to do...AND they ended up sending me copies of Kuhnhausen's ORIGINAL SHOP MANUAL to get this job done..!!!!!!!!
THESE BOOKS are HEAVILY EDITED from Kuhnhausen's original shop manuals...!!!!!!!!!!
Pete

flatgate

Hawkeye
Perhaps there are gross errors, however, with respect to the Ruger Single Actions, in the areas where I have or am trying to gain experience, they are very informative.

JMHO,

flatgate

Pinecone

Blackhawk
sargeny1, Speaking from the standpoint of an old gunsmith (42 years gunsmithing), I would have liked to have had the Kuhnhausen books in my "early" years for sure. I spent a lot of midnight oil learning the in's and out's of repairing the D, E and I Colt revolvers as well as many other guns. I can attest, that if you utilize "patience", his Colt revolver manuals (all of them) leave "nothing" out in repairing Colts! There are "two" gunsmiths who have had more of an impact on the gunsmithing field in the last 40 years than all the other gunsmiths put together including myself. They are, Jerry Kuhnhausen and J.B. Wood! Their books are like priceless gold to the professional as well as amateur. I would suggest you read Kuhnhausen's books thoroughly to gain a good basic knowledge of how the gun "works" before skipping around to the section your interested in working on! I once owned all of their books but sold them off with a huge gunbook collection I owned as one unit. I have since started to replace them and now own 18 books by those two authors and plan on getting "all" of them once again!..........................Dick :wink:

sargeny1

Bearcat
Hi All...I stand by my previous post re his book on the Colt revolvers.....it leaves MUCH to be desired...
NOW..his book on the S&W's is antoher story...of course, S&W is MUCH easier to gunsmith.....recently I acquired a NIB S&W Model 27 5" blue that dates from 1968...stone cold mint collector quality...with about a 6lb single action trigger pull..!!!! A thorough and detailed cleaning as described in his book brought it down to about 4 lb....the weapon wanted to shoot BUT every time the hammer fell I lost the sight picture(front sight)....OK....followed his instructions to the letter to lighten the pull and it worked like a charm.....I now have a 2lb 4oz single action trigger pull and NO PUSH OFF....it took about 5 minutes to accomplish this..NOW this weapon puts 5 HEAVILY LOADED for hunting KEITH H&G #51's into LESS than an inch at 25yds with MANY going into ONE HOLE....I am ready for deer season with THIS SWEET SHOOTING M27....
I do have his book on the Ruger Single Actions...I am new to Ruger and am in the process of thoroughly reading and digesting this book......
Pete

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I have his book on ruger double actions and also the 1911 Colt book. Have used the 1911 book extensively in action work for 70 and 80 models and have not noticed anything to be left out. Very impressive books.
Sonnytoo

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
I am just getting started on this gunsmithing thing. Right now I pay other people to do trigger jobs for me. These books seem like a good place to start.

Thank you.

COLT_45

Single-Sixer
For the novice these Ruger videos might be
helpfull to some members.....

Ruger SA Dis-Assembly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOXBa8K8Ow

Ruger SA Re-Assembly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zEKDqwkgEs&feature=related

Latest posts