RPR scope rings and scope opinions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Just got an RPR in .308., and I'm looking for recommendations as far as scopes go for 600 yards. I'm thinking a Vortex scope but what are your opinions on scope rings?
Also this model apparently did not come equipped with a muzzle brake! Does anybody have any opinions or ideas ?? I bought it used with what appears to be very little west…… give me your best shot!

Some folks think they need to be able to see every hair and twig to shoot at ?00 yards--not true. Only need to define the target well enough to center the crosshairs. On some targets with good light, 9X is good enough. Other scenarios may require 12X or maybe 16X but those wouldn't be what I'd call 'general use' situations.
VORTEX scopes are good enough for most uses. That's what I use on my coyote hunting AR and can vouch for it's ability to pick out a barely visible yotie in thick cover or dusk conditions.
Muzzle brake? There are too many choices so just pick one you like and go with it. My muzzle brake choices are based on which suppressor I intend to use of that particular rifle.

gunzo

Buckeye
The gen 1 RPR will require a taller ring than the gen II due to the rail change. Suggest mocking up your chosen scope with shims to find desire height needed before buying rings. A couple stacks of quarters are handy for this.
Cheap rings can be more trouble than they're worth. Your choice might depend on the scope &/or quality/seriousness of your set up.

For a brake, Ross brakes are hard to beat. They have a self timing one that's a deal at $89. Or, a call to the Ruger parts dept. might be in order.

wwb

Hunter
You didn't say if the purpose of the rifle is punching paper or hunting. Paper punching at that range would warrant something like a 6-18 X 50 (which would require tall rings and an addition to the comb), while a 3-9X40 would be fine for hunting. Vortex is a good scope, especially for the money.... they're as good as many scopes costing more.

gunzo

Buckeye
Vortex mentioned a lot. Tough to know where a poster is coming from when Vortex sells $200 scopes & $3800 scopes.

A lot of variables to address. Common Joe, tell us how serious you are about the pursuit.

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
Guys Im thinking of using the RPR for varmint hunting and maybe punching paper out to 500. I was gifted a Weaver T-10 in great condition, I ve got get some tall rings and then try it out to 250 yards. The wide open flat country of west Texas lends itself to varmint hunting .

gunzo

Buckeye
A T10 Weaver should be a very useable scope. You may never switch, or the 10x will let you see if you desire something else.

Enjoy the setup. Enjoy it a lot, the 308 isn't a barrel burner.

Latest posts