First handgun for father and son

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmol50

Single-Sixer
​I spent Sunday morning having a hoot ​with one of my boys plinking ​at the outdoor range. Shooting ​out clay pigeons and ringing steel at 10 yards​ with his Rascal and red dot​. We had the pistol/smallbore range to ourselves for more than an hour when an older gentleman joined us. We had good fun talking during one of our breaks and he asked if he could shoot at our targets with us. He had a couple of handguns and offered my son a try on a Ruger Standard. Holy smokes, his eyes lit up when he shot that pistol. We almost shot our way through a brick of 22.

​I decided to take the long way home​ that happens to pass by the LGS. They had a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 for under $400 so I scooped it up. It's our first handgun and we can hardly wait to get to the range on Saturday.

I've got a semi-decent stash of 22 and am hoping the ammo situation keeps improving because this gun is extremely fun to shoot.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I'm glad it was a reasonable pandemic price. Here's a pic of the 22/45 and the Rascal.

51356660444_b3e50c13fb_w.jpg

51356928615_296c083dba_w.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
I'm a super 'cheapo' guy....but, you did good on the 22/45......
Nuthin' better than young kids and .22's

J.

I'm sure you and your Son will enjoy that pistol immensely. I prefer the 22/45 and have several II/III series with 4 & 5.5" barrel lengths. Most users are aware of superlative 22/45 performance so I'll just say "I don't think you'll be disappointed".

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Thanks re price paid. Not sure I'd have had an upper $ limit for that purchase based on my son's experience with whatever model we were borrowing at the range earlier that morning. I guess @Uncle Howie was right, the stars truly aligned here.