Ruger LCR vs S@w J frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

remshooter

Bearcat
looking for a new pocket pistol ,how does the polymer Ruger LCR stack up with S@W J-frame 442 ? how welll does the Ruger polymer hold up?and problems .Have a S@W mod 60 so 442 would be familiar , but looking for something lighter and no exposed hammer ,

hittman

Staff member
Sold my 60 since I bought the 38 Special LCR.

I carry the LCR about 90% of the time.

It's lighter by a lot, came with a factory red fiber optic front site. Still looks like new even after 6 years in a leather Galco holster and probably 1000 or more rounds.

RSIno1

Hunter
I'll keep my S&W 642. 1.5 oz heavier but all metal.
Found this comparo:
https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/sw-j-frame-vs-ruger-lcr/

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Both are good but IMO the LCR has a far superior trigger.

My LCR has been my EDC for 8 or 9 years. Not sure of round count but several thousand of my reloads through it and no troubles.

I own each of them. The LCR somehow manages not to fit in my pocket as well as the S&W 442. I also dislike the finger groove grip on the LCR, because the finger-grooves are not spaced properly for my fingers. No issues with the durability of the LCR, though.

I carry my J Frames a lot more often than my LCR. The J Frame trigger improves a bunch with use, in my experience. There's a lot more aftermarket support for the S&W, too.

recumbent

Buckeye
I have 3 LCR's, 22LR, 357 Mag and 327 Fed Mag. I have shot thousands of reloads theu the 357. And thousands thru 22. Just got the 327 last fall.
I think the 327 may be my favorite.
Never had any trouble with any of them.

If you can, handle both and try them in various carry configurations. Personal preference for me is a S&W Model 49 Bodyguard Airweight. Lightweight with a shrouded hammer. Mine is a retired deputies back up piece. Meets your requirements.... Good luck with your choice!

I am a small barrel enthusiast. Have been shooting pocket guns on a diligent schedule for over 10 years now. I am a Beretta Pico fan boy. However I love shooting the Snubbie. As Hickcock45 said when reviewing one, "There is just something about them" in reference to the pleasure of shooting them. I train often and that gun is the LCR9mm. Man, I love shooting that gun. Typically will load up 40 moon clips the night before a range session. If you shoot often and do not reload, the 9mm makes for the most economical choice.
But I carry the Smith 642 much more often than the LCR. Weight, and weight matters. And I love the feel of the Smith. Snubbies like small Pistol pocket guns are not hard to shoot well. Just have a longer learning curve. And they can do much more than the internet leads you to believe. They can be very fast to the draw and as accurate as you want to make them.

Here is a good place for keeping up with the Snubbies. https://www.imwithroscoe.com/
Spend time with all the drills etc. which many are listed. Frequent diligent practice.

Ps. Just bought these speed loaders and surprised at how fast they can be reloaded with the off hand.
GID64PB.jpg

And if you are serious about shooting them, I highly suggest when you can afford it to invest in a 22.cal. It has done wonders for my trigger control and point and shoot skills.

V3cfVEl.jpg

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
davevabch said:
Ps. Just bought these speed loaders and surprised at how fast they can be reloaded with the off hand.
GID64PB.jpg

Please tell us more about these- I have never seen this type before...

I went with the 442, both are excellent, but the with the Houges in place the 442 fits me better, and is much better with the tactical trigger and hammer spring kit, plus, I like mine dipped in ,etal, not plastic.
IMG-6290-1-jpg-small.jpg

DeltaRose said:
davevabch said:
GID64PB.jpg

Please tell us more about these- I have never seen this type before...

Here's a link to the manufacturer's website:

https://zetasix.com/product/j-clip/

They also offer a speed strip that has the rounds spaced so you can load 2 at a time.

Edited to add: I have no pecuniary interest in the sale of these products. I recently ordered some and have used them a little and am thus far satisfied.

smith1961

Blackhawk
I can honestly say I absolutely LOVE Ruger and S&W, won't own anything else.
Pick which one feels better to you and have at it.
I have to say that twice in my life, Ruger made a couple of guns so ugly, they were unappealing.
First was way back, the P-85 series, (chunky candy bar ugly) and then the LCR (cap gun looks)
I'm a 442 guy for that reason only, but YOU will be OK with either.......

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
arfmel said:
Here's a link to the manufacturer's website:

https://zetasix.com/product/j-clip/

They also offer a speed strip that has the rounds spaced so you can load 2 at a time.

Edited to add: I have no pecuniary interest in the sale of these products. I recently ordered some and have used them a little and am thus far satisfied.

Thank you for the link.

One thing I forgot to mention is caliber, my opinion is in this size revolver, the 38 is where I would go. with these short barrels meant for short range, the magnum will create more recoil slowing accurate follow up shots, and with the slowers powders loaded in it, the gps difference won't be as much as with 4" and longer barrel guns!

bookemdano

Single-Sixer
I have a: Loaded weights:
LCR 9mm: 18.9 oz Critical Duty +P
LCR .38: 15.2 oz. Critical Defense
LCR .22mag:15.3 oz Speer Gold Dot
S&W 642:16.8 oz Critical Defense
S&W 340PD: 15.2 oz Speer Gold Dot 135gr
S&W m36: 23.4 oz Critical Duty
My preferred carry is the LCR's. Generally, the LCR 9mm but now and then
the LCR .38 when my hip is acting up. The LCR trigger pull is much smoother than
the S&W's making shot placement easier. I just shoot the LCR better.
Dano

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Wife has the LCR in .38 and can shoot groups, 10 yds, that lots of guys take a second look. I like my S&W 642, my groups are respectable, I'm a trapshooter that shoots a release so trigger control is work. Like my Smith better but....!

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
I have only recently renewed my love for my LCR 38 after a range trip. At 10 yards, I totally obliterated the bullseye out of my target. I even got a pat on the back and a complement from the range officer.