Help selecting No1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
I am sure this has been hashed out numerous times. Apologies for being for being redundant.

I am looking for a new hunting rifle. I have went afield with numerous rifles. I have hinted with bolt guns, semi autos and lever action rifles. I am now leveling up in age and now moving to lighter rifles. I am looking at the No.1, No.2, and No.3 rifles. I like the weight of the rifles and I am not needing anything that is top shelf.

What is the difference between the No.1, No.2, and No.3 rifle?

I am looking for a 30/06, 7mm08, 303 Brit, 308 WIN, or any caliber to put down elk, moose, caribou.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Al

Rocdoc

Buckeye
#2 is #3 barreled action with #1 wood, not a Ruger issue, just rifles that folks swapped the wood.

gatling

Blackhawk
SSG Al:

The Ruger No. 1 is not a particularly light rifle, so if you're primary concern is weight, it may not answer the mail for you.

That said, I have No. 1 Rugers in several different calibers. I hunt a bit. My advice is to consider a 1A (22-inch barrel) in 30 06. Relatively easy to find, lots of ammo (and brass) available just about everywhere, and a little more energy than a .308. My 1A in 30 06 is one of the most accurate rifles I own.

I went through the Benning School for Boys in 1972. Thanks for your service.

dakota1911

Buckeye
The Ruger No. 1 was made in a huge number of calibers. I love my No. 1 International in 30-06. Below compared to a bolt action Mauser and Winchester 1895 in the same caliber.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I agree with gatling... Look for a 1A in 30-06 if weight is an issue. I love my 1S in 30-06 but it is 9lbs on the nose with a 4x Leupold on it.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Well, sometimes my No1 shoots like "number 2" - does that count? :wink:

Like the OP my shoulder is getting a little tired. I'm gravitating toward 6.5s lately. I wonder - is something like the 6.5 Swede too light for moose, elk & caribou?

RSIno1

Hunter
Are those calibers light for Caribou? It's just a matter of which design you like and then finding one in the caliber you like.
1A and RSI are shorter barrels. 1S and 1B are longer barrels. 1H is for the heavy calibers up to 458 Lott and 1V is a heavy barrel varmint gun. All have provisions for scopes and all except 1B and 1V have open sights. There is also stainless steel available.

Lee's site has a lot of info and he generally can find you what you want. http://www.classicsportingarms.com/ruger-no-1-rifles-for-sale/

In the end they are like potato chips you won't have just one.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I have one in 35 whelen and it shoots honest 1.5" three groups with 225 gr at 2600 fps.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I have 8 No. 1 rifles in most of the variants.

My favorite and maybe the lightest is my #1a in 35 Whelen. It is accurate, feels light and points like a magic wand. My 1s in 35 Whelen is a much heavier rifle.

The RSI is a delight to carry and hunt with....it is very short/ compact.
I'm going to throw a curve ball out. My 1AB in 3006 feels very light. It is also a great shooter.
They are out there used and don't seem to be pricey.

Corbi

I have owned many #1's and #3's over the years..... If we are talking elk sized choices my favorite was a K1A in 35 Whelen. However, I also like the 1S platform in 7mm Rem Mag and 300 H&H Mag. The 1S is heavier though.
My all time favorite for deer was an International in 7x57. Good luck with your choice!